Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I take tranny apart?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Quebecer
Hi guys,

The drivetrain has been out of my project car for a couple of years.
I'll take the engine apart, but I was wondering about the transmission.

What do you guys think I should do?
Jeff Bonanno
do you have any info on this tranny? do 1st and 2nd gears grind? if so, you would be well served to freshen it up a bit. a member here has written an excellent piece on tranny work. see:

red-beard's site

if you're in there, you will also want to closely inspect the bearings in the intermediate plate.
Quebecer
Apparently the car passed inspection three years ago.
It was then taken apart, before I bought it from PO.

From your answer I'm guessing I shouldn't take a chance and get my hands dirty.

I'll take a careful look at Red-Beard's site.

Thanks!
ambergris
Hey Quebecer,
Have you been having any specific issues? Are you worried about the difficulty?
I'm in the middle of my first tranny disassembly (now on the reassembly part). As long as the drive train's out, and you have easy access, I would say go for it. Jeff's link to Red-Beard's article is a great resource. I also found this classic thread helpfull for good pic's on the actual disassembly:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=ST&f=5&t=18128
I've been having problems getting into 2nd gear, with some "sticky-ness" on 3rd and 4th as well, so I figured I might as well do a full rebuild. So far, it hasn't been too bad. Perhaps a few too many "special tools" (alignment jig, deep 30mm socket, dogteeth removal tool...), but so far it's been pretty smooth sailing. And it's a really nice feeling to know exactly what's going on in there.
Quebecer
That was my thinking as well, I like to know what's in there.
As you mentioned, I was worried about the complexity of a transmission.
Glad to hear it can be done by a "normal" person.
Bleyseng
its not all that hard nor complex if you take it apart slowly and take pics. If you rush and toss all the parts into a big pile, you'll have lots of fun later.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.