Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gunny
My 1976 has 4 lights on the combo gage. From left to right parking break, gen, ?, oil pressure. What is the red one 3rd from the left? confused24.gif

My owners manual doesn't show it. It doesn't come on
McMark
Should be white and not used.
Dave_Darling
IIRC, it was intended for the Sporto. Possibly some kind of over-temp indicator. Probably would have cost them too much to change the design after they decided to dump the Sporto, so they just left it unused.

--DD
gunny
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 9 2012, 08:10 PM) *

IIRC, it was intended for the Sporto. Possibly some kind of over-temp indicator. Probably would have cost them too much to change the design after they decided to dump the Sporto, so they just left it unused.

--DD

It has a bulb and there are 2 wires going to it. It's red
Dave_Darling
Chances are that someone added a light, or moved a factory light to that position. As far as I know, it should be blank.

--DD
McMark
agree.gif Although pictures would help 100%.
gunny
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 10 2012, 08:21 AM) *

agree.gif Although pictures would help 100%.

3rd from the left???
Valy
It's not used. I've seen white, yellow and now red covers to that hole.
The wires you see behind are the gauge illumination, not for that specific indicator. You can take out one of the gauges and look inside.
patssle
I've always wondered what that left light is for. I guess a PO removed the sensor from my car. Where should the parking brake light sensor be located?
Tom_T
QUOTE(gunny @ Nov 9 2012, 05:53 PM) *

My 1976 has 4 lights on the combo gage. From left to right parking break, gen, ?, oil pressure. What is the red one 3rd from the left? confused24.gif

It's an unused warning light, which takes the place of the big one where the fuel gauge on your combo one goes.

Read here....

http://p914.com/p914_gauges_combo.htm

Being a 76 - almost everyone I've seen has had the center console & more or less fully loaded with all available options, in order for Porsche to clear them out in that last MY.

If yours has the center console, did a PO swap-out the OT gauge thee for OP or something else? confused24.gif
gunny
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 10 2012, 03:37 PM) *

It's an unused warning light, which takes the place of the big one where the fuel gauge on your combo one goes.

Read here....

Being a 76 - almost everyone I've seen has had the center console & more or less fully loaded with all available options, in order for Porsche to clear them out in that last MY.

If yours has the center console, did a PO swap-out the OT gauge thee for OP or something else? confused24.gif

I don't have a center console
Dave_Darling
The "B" light on the left is the brake warning light. It's the same light as the parking brake light.

This combo gauge was standard for 2.0 cars that didn't have a center console. A similar one was used in the 914-6es.

--DD
Tom_T
QUOTE(gunny @ Nov 10 2012, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 10 2012, 03:37 PM) *

Read here....

I don't have a center console

Sounds like one of a few factory variants without the center console & with the combo gauge put on all 2.0's 73-76 without the console mounted OT gauge, but only your window sticker/dealer sales invoice from when new &/or an accurate COA will tell you that.

I love to see the less common variants in our 914s! smile.gif
.... Make sure to put some description of your 76's set-up, OE equipment & options in your VIN listing to help others researching on their own 914s.

That link above shows & talks about the differences between the 70-72 914-6, 73-74.25 2.0 & 74.25-76 2.0 style combo gauges.

In any case, your 3rd warning light not working isn't a problem for you!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.