Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Handbrake question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschefile2010
Have been trying to sort out my handbrake and found that the pin which is welded to the inside of the frame and on which the hndle pivots, is bending. It needs to be welded to hold it firmly in place.

Question is should the pin sit square to the long or should it be in line with the direction the cable goes, which is slightly inwards under the small cover that is screwed into the corner.

If it is square to the long then the bush in the handle must take a hammering.
Seems to me it should be on a slight angle so the line to the cable exit is straight??

Anyone had this issue before?
Thanks
914Eric
Just checked my car which I just removed everything this week, including the hand brake, and the pin sits square to the frame.
bperry
Yep. I just repaired mine.
The pivot has a large flat head on it that appeared to be brazed from the back side.
This came loose on mine. Perhaps from the side torque you are concerned about.
It allowed the pivot to bend back which would no longer pull the cables.
I removed the entire stand and welded the head to the stand from the back
and them put the stand assembly back in.
I also welded up the bolt post as well just as a precaution.

If I had to do it again, I'm not sure I'd remove the full stand to weld it from the back.
In my case the stand itself was not rusted out, so if doing it again,
I think I'd carefully drill a few holes on front and weld it from the front.
Not a big deal either way, but I think it might have been a bit easier to just do it all from the front.

Here are few photos. (I can't find the photo from the back showing the weld on the post)
--- bill

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
porschefile2010
Thanks to you both. That's a bit weird though. My car is in the paint shop right now. I just bare metalled it. So as far as I can remeber there is no stand. The pivot was just welded direct to the frame. I will check on Monday. I wonder if there was a difference between the model years?
914Eric
Mine is a 73, and it does have a stand. Here's a pic.

Click to view attachment
porschefile2010
Thanks eric. I will check tomorrow. I should remembersnd it makes sense to have the stand so it comes into line. maybe that's my problem. I'll let you guys know tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.