Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windage Tray Failure--Plot Thickens...Crank!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsrfr
Got in about 20 minutes at Roebling then heard serious knocking from the engine...limped into paddock & shut it down. Towed it home (950 miles round trip for 20 minutes on track barf.gif ) and dopped the engine. Couldn't turn the crank by hand on the fan. So, split the cases. Here's what greeted me as I opened it up--one ear of the windage tray had failed and slid over and was caught under the cam. Check the pics--you can see where the cam was striking the sheet metal piece....nice and shiny there.

It's a "CB" bus case.....anyone seen this before? Anyone with a replacement tray??

Now the plot thickens...see the pics of the crank....think it'll buff out?

No wonder it lost power.... headbang.gif
914Sixer
Was the bolt that holds the tray loose or missing? Second was the tray possibly not slotted correctly in the case? If one side was out it would be bent up in to the cam. Did the tray have the seals on it or did they stay in the case.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 11 2012, 06:20 AM) *

Was the bolt that holds the tray loose or missing? Second was the tray possibly not slotted correctly in the case? If one side was out it would be bent up in to the cam. Did the tray have the seals on it or did they stay in the case.

The cross bolt was in place and tight....it was slotted correctly with the seals glued to it with a dab of weatherstrip adhesive at the ends--you can see a bit of it in the photo. Seals still in place in the case slots--looks like fatigue failure right at the ends of the louvers stamped into the tray ear.
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Nov 11 2012, 06:28 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 11 2012, 06:20 AM) *

The cross bolt was in place and tight....it was slotted correctly with the seals glued to it with a dab of weatherstrip adhesive at the ends--you can see a bit of it in the photo. Seals still in place in the case slots--looks like fatigue failure right at the ends of the louvers stamped into the tray ear.

I've had them break, but never dislodge from their place.
wingnut86
This won't help the broken one, but I have read about many racers or at least frequent builders, who create additional slots or holes in the tray to allow for faster oil drainage back to the sump. Not sure that's a great idea with normally aspirated blocks, but if you are running AX or Track, have larger oil demands and have outfitted your block with a stronger oil return system with extended sump and similar, maybe this would diminish this happening in the future?

You need more oil in the twisties, turns and climbs, but not at the loss of oil in other areas without proper volume and pressure to go with it.

Just ruminating here...
wndsrfr
ttt
NORD

I'm wondering? Did the broken crank break the windage tray or the windage

tray break the crank??

Sorry you broke down.
brant
I don't think the tray could do that to the crank...
I'm guessing your crank broke first and then caused the tray as collateral....
zambezi
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 11 2012, 01:30 PM) *

I don't think the tray could do that to the crank...
I'm guessing your crank broke first and then caused the tray as collateral....

I agree.
messix
who did your crank?

i would have them take a look...... or may be another engine builder.

for the crank to break there, there had to be some thing really wrong with the crank before machining or with what they did while maching it!
Valy
Look at the journal of the rod next to the crank. That crack goes to the oiling channel. What size is it? Looks 80mm to me, correct?
This failure is typical for poorly welded and enlarged cranks. The oiling channel is too close to the wall and weakens the crank.
For your next crank, make sure the oil channels were correctly relocated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.