Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 2.0L on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
mettelman
I am thinking of bidding on this car. I would greatly appreciate anyone's critique

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/74-1974-POR...7678wt_1167this car:

There are dozens of photos but I am most interested in the underside and engine compartment. Does the interior look original? Thanks!
Chris H.
That is a very early '74 car. It has silver-centered gauges (which are correct). Looks very nice overall, but a couple of things jump out....

There appear to be some patches/repairs near the rear jack points on both sides. I'd look into that, along with the area under the battery tray which you can't see to check for rust. I would have a pre-purchase inspection done before you spend that kind of money. Maybe someone from the World lives close and will chime in?
turk22
it was also auctioned a couple of weeks ago, and didn't meet reserve at 15,500 IIRC. I think they want a lot...no telling at this point what the reserve is actually set at. I would suggest calling the seller, and finding out what its really going to take to purchase the car.
I think overall the car is pretty good, but the previous auction had 80+ pictures, and some of those showed some issues that may have been hiding some rust.

I don't think I would pay 16k+ without having a Pre-Purchase inspection, or seeing it myself.

IMHO, Turk
Nine_14
Overpriced car, velding repair not nice, a small bubble on the fender after fresh repainting.
Funny as I too was looking at this car. Overall the top view looks pretty good until I noticed that the lefty rear brake sheld looks as thought its was rusted through smile.gif. Turn me off. Good luck
mettelman
Thanks guys, I agree there are too many suspect signs of rust. The seller doesn't know much about 914s and in the write-up refers to the "concours judge" who you can only talk with AFTER the auction.
bembry
Isn't the Pedrini spare the "early" type? If he hasn't changed out his hubs, wouldn't this make using the spare impossible?
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(bembry @ Nov 11 2012, 03:11 PM) *

Isn't the Pedrini spare the "early" type? If he hasn't changed out his hubs, wouldn't this make using the spare impossible?

Those foglights don't look at all right to me.
mettelman
And what about the corrosion(?) around the gauges. Is that normal?
boxstr
Since you are on the east coast, and the car is on the east coast. I would take the effort to go look at it in person. It will be money and time well spent.
Craig at CAMP
914ltd
This might be a great car but it has had some previous issues.
The floor and long area has been repaired for rust. I don't see any current problems from that repair but the potential is there. The left front corner has been hit, the headlight box and front crosswall (left side only) are replacements (1975-76 style sheetmetal) The Predinis are early style (all 5) The center must be machined to clear the front centering hub, also, early 1973 was the last use of the Predini (spelling?) Original 40 year old brake hoses, no steering rack pan, also, would sway bars be something you would desire?
These issues would probably have minimal affect on someone enjoying this car (replace those brake hoses!) for years to come but I do think they must be taken into account when placing a dollar value. Brad
mettelman
Thanks Brad. Too many question marks and an inexperienced seller is a combination I am not comfortable with. Taking a pass on this one.
WFG
Brad is right tihs car is a dog.
William
Cairo94507
Wow it looks like the underside of the car has never been taken care of at all. Obvious evidence of some kind of attempt at rust repair near the jack points that has been covered with under seal.

If the rims were powder coated why are the barrels of the wheels in such bad condition? Also there is just a ton of weight on the spare wheel. Insignificant, yet, but what the heck is going on there?

The fact that two bubbles are already appearing on the painted finish is alarming. For the representations made by the seller I would expect the car to come with pictures of the repaint process and repair work. Car looks nice from 8' but get close and it needs work.

This car seems overpriced based upon the pictures presented. The cosmetics seems OK but the hidden issues loom large here.
Nine_14
agree.gif right, nobody have had a look under the car last years, maybe only the welder welder.gif
For the asked price you can find better 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.