Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windscreen removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
looking to take out my windscreen is there a specific way of taking it out.i have a 1970 with the chrome around it
ConeDodger
All things being stock, you should have retaining 'chrome' pieces that you can move by sliding them one way or another. Do that. Now using a small screwdriver gently lift the 'chrome' up and out of the retainers. Don't worry if the retainers break you were going to replace them anyway. Once the 'chrome' is out. You have a choice to make. Are you reusing the windshield? If so, you have to carefully release it from the adhesive. I have heard of some using a piano wire but never done this myself. If you are replacing it. Kick that bitch out from the inside...

There are some while you're in there things to consider. The vinyl forward of the dashboard can most easily be replaced with the window out. I put tweeters in... Your goals may be different.
porschefile2010
I've taken mine out-in one piece. Piano wire would work but there is a special wire the panel guys use that is braided and cuts through the sika easily.
You need to make wooden handles at each end so you don't cut into your hands.
First drill a very small hole through the sika and poke the wire through, then add the handles and drag the wire around till the screen is releases. I managed it on my own but it would be much easier with two people.
Be very careful not to catch the edges of the screen or stress the screen or it will crack.
Also be careful of the trim on the inside and if the wire catches the plastic spacers embedded in the Sika, don't force it, just work around it.
If you aren't confident and you want to save the screen get a panel
shop to do it. It's a one hour job at the most.
Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.