Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This Sanding Stuff Is Rough
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stutgart46
I am trying my hand at body repair. I purchased a 6" DA Sander but I am not sure how many CFM's I will need to run this thing.
I can not get access to my compressor so I need to rent one. Anybody have any suggestions.
BTW: I tried using a Dewalt 6.2 CFM and it was pathetic.
914GT
You need a lot to run a DA continously at constant speed. Probably a compressor that can deliver at least 12-15 cfm at operating pressure is minimum. Smaller compressor and tanks will run down, then you have to wait for it to recover.
bjorn jacobson
I've been using a Ryobi electric random orbit sander, I think it's a 5 in. Actually use two of them one for coarse and on medium grit and they work pretty slick. It's a fairly inexpensive way to go at around $35.00 a crack. Make sure to use the velcro paper, way easier to use.
May be cheaper than renting a compressor for a day.
Good luck.
BJ
seanery
I've got a dewalt about the same size as mentioned above. I love it! Get the velcro pads and line the holes up so the dust gets sucked into the bag. smash.gif
McMark
agree.gif Get an electric. You need a big compressor to use any air tools continuously. Brandon has a 60 gallon upright 220v compressor and it barely keeps up with the air tools.
lapuwali
Yup. Use electric for any tools that have to run for long periods, like sanders and angle grinders, and use air for things that only run in spurts, like impact tools, or things that really need air, like blowers and painting. I have an electric cut-off tool that never leaves the toolbox, cause I always run out of air halfway through a job.
Trekkor
I've actually attatched a shop-vac to the dust port on the sander and sanded for 4 hours straight!

Good one! mueba.gif

KT
Stutgart46
Thanks a lot guys. It's off to the Home Depot tomorrow. beerchug.gif
bjorn jacobson
Just remember to use a dust mask and pick your nose REALLY GOOD before you go on any dates, paint dust creates really cool boogers about the same color as your car!
736conver
Thats one reason I upgraded my air compressor. You really dont realize how much air you need for some of these tools.

I now have 23CFM baby
8.5 horse gas compressor goes where ever I need it. No cord. Of course gas is $2 something a gallon
jasons
I bought a Husky(Campbell Hausfeld) at Home Depot. It has a 220v 6hp motor and a 50 or 60 gallon tank. I think it makes close to 20 cfm at 90 psi. You need at least this much compressor to run a DA sucessfully. My compressor runs the whole time I am sanding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.