Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Toyo Proxes RR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
PlaysWithCars
Anyone know anything about them? Looks like a new tire that will be spec tire for Miata and 944 series which means they come in 914 sizes. piratenanner.gif

They are a track tire, but wonder how they will do for autocrossing. Similar to the Kuhmo V710 but not as good as Hoosier A6?
Trekkor
I should have a good amount of data on this before long.
Until then, realize they are still treadwear 100.

710's are a great a/x tire.

KT
stuttgart46
I'm hearing good things so far as a track tire. Hopefully I'll be trying these out very soon.
helios
I would highly doubt they are even up to the V710s performance.....just based off the fact they are designed for different environments.

Autocross tires can run a much more aggressive rubber compound, as the heat cycle durations are much shorter. Road Race tires have to be able to run for dozens of laps at pace (not counting super sticky qually tires), as such, the rubber compounds can't be as aggressive, to prevent overheating that leads to blistering/delaminating and ultimately tire failure.

If you are looking for a dual role tire (or an autox tire with a longer life, at the expense of grip)...could be worth looking into. But if you are strictly looking for an autocross tire...I would stick w/ the autocross specific tires (V710/A6 and such).
PlaysWithCars
I've been using the V710s for a couple of years and really like them. Don't think they're quite as sticky as the A6, but they hold up well and are cheaper than A6s. Just saw the RRs and thought maybe they would be competitive with the V710s and are cheaper yet.

Clearly a track and not an autocross tire, but so is the V710 yet it does pretty good on the autocross course.

How about the Hankook Ventus Z214 in the C71 soft compound. Also a bargain compared to the Hoosiers or Kuhmos, but gets pretty good reviews on TireRack
PlaysWithCars
Info on the Toyo RRs is on it's way. My buddy runs a tire shop that has exclusive rights to Toyo in their region. He checked with corporate and they hadn't heard of them yet because they are so new. They're going to Toyo to get the scoop on them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.