Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Group Buy Closed, time to send payment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
'73-914kid
I started a thread in the member vendor section to keep the garage clean. Please commit over there, and not here to keep things organized. Thanks everyone!
Member Vendor link

Hey guys, so a friend of mine owns a store that sells wheel stud conversion kits for BMW's, and is getting involved in Porsches. He had mentioned being interested in selling a kit for 914's at a group buy price if enough people were interested in it.

The kit includes 16 thread in studs, and 16 high quality ball seat nuts. (these nuts are not the cheap imitators. These actually fit our ball seat wheels). Both are made in Europe and are TUV certified, so it's good quality hardware.

The studs are bullet nose, and thread in with an allen wrench. Installation is easy, and only require the removal of you wheels.

Here's a pic from his website of the dimensions of the stud that will come with the kit:
IPB Image

I'll know pricing options when I get back with him later today, but for those interested, please chime in.

Thanks everyone, Ethan

Okay, we have pricing back

Pricing:
The available kits are as follows:
4-Lug (16 studs and nuts)
82mm with Silver/yellow Zinc Ball seat nuts: $100shipped
82mm with Black OEM grade Zinc Ball seat nuts: $137shipped

5-lug (20 studs and nuts)
82mm with Silver/yellow Zinc Ball seat nuts: $110shipped
82mm with Black OEM grade Zinc Ball seat nuts: $147shipped

Discount structure:
1-10 kits - Prices posted above (Special introductory pricing!)
11-20 kits - $5.00off
21-30 kits - $7.00off
31-40+ kits - $10.00off

We're aiming for an end date of December 9th at midnight.
Payment instructions will come after the group buy has closed.

For those who want to receive their studs BEFORE the group buy has ended, that is available, but you would forfeit any further discounts.

For example, say we have 24 people. If you want to receive your set now, you would only be eligible for the $7 off. If the group buy reaches another discount tier, you would forfeit that discount.
helios
Pending price.
falconfp2001
I'm in. Looks like a good deal either way. piratenanner.gif
gothspeed
If you did one stud at a time, you would not have to remove your wheels or even need to jack the car .. smile.gif

I hope this does not throw the GB into a tailspin, but would a 20 stud kit be available? maybe in longer lengths?
'73-914kid
20 stud kits are also available. I'll have to ask him if he wants to discount the price for a kit of 20 for the group buy as well, and I'll ask him about lengths. I'll get back to you beerchug.gif
biosurfer1
I'm in, pending price
jimkelly
studs make changing tires so much easier.

i got mine here...
http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/the-Race...tuds/Categories

16 studs 14x1.5x80mm (??) $65+-
and
16 nuts 14mm (??) $32+-

so about $100 + ship for a 4 lug car.

i don't see any that have both a seat and an allen head ?? as all rotor holes go all the way thru it seems, thus i'd assume a seat is preferrable??

**CORRECTION - Shea SUGGESTS RED loctite - see below **

jim
'73-914kid
The group buy price will be better than $100. Thats all i know thus far...haha.

And yes, blue loctite to install them.
wingnut86
I'd be in for a 20 stud kit...
SLKWrx
Definitely interested in this. I'd love to get rid of the headache of lug bolts.

Blue Loctite? Not Red for wheel studs?
'73-914kid
Blue loctite is plenty fine for wheel studs. If you use red, they'll never ever comeout, and if you have to change front rotors, you'll have to buy a new stud kit

Eric says Red Loctite.. I'd trust him on this one
eric9144
I might be in...any idea what the finish on the nuts will be? or form factor (i.e. open end)?
Lennies914
I'm in for 16. smile.gif
'73-914kid
Group buy prices are being finalized tonight.

So, there will be 4 options for the stud conversions:

1. 4-lug car with black zinc coated lug nuts
2. 4-lug car with yellow zinc coated lug nuts

3. 5-lug car with black zinc lug nuts
4. 5-lug car with yellow zinc lug nuts.

The lug nuts are all open ended as they were developed to be run with various spacer heights, etc.

I should know pricing later this evening.
arg
Ethan Iam in for a set of 4 lug black
Thanks
Tony G
'73-914kid
Okay everyone, sorry for posting every 10 minutes or so..

I won't know pricing until probably the end of the weekend given how busy Ryan is. If everyone can hang on until then for pricing, it would be very much so appreciated.

Thanks for the interest thus far guys! beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
In for a set, price dependant.
cwpeden
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 14 2012, 08:55 AM) *

Blue loctite is plenty fine for wheel studs. If you use red, they'll never ever comeout, and if you have to change front rotors, you'll have to buy a new stud kit

Red Loctite isn't permanent, 15 seconds with a simple propane torch will loosen the Loctite. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if our rotors get hot enough sometimes to soften it.

Caliper paint is good to 1200F plus for a reason, Loctite red only needs about 500F to soften. I use it on a daily basis both going together and coming apart with very few failures.

Glad someone is coming with a stud kit. I've talked with a few people about it we have always been a little apprehensive with respect to grade of bolt and proper nut ect.

Just my $.02.
Eric_Shea
Do not use Blue for this. Use Red ONLY. If you change rotors you simply heat with a torch and they come right out.
'73-914kid
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 15 2012, 08:39 AM) *

Do not use Blue for this. Use Red ONLY. If you change rotors you simply heat with a torch and they come right out.

Thanks Eric, I changed my post
SLKWrx
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 15 2012, 08:39 AM) *

Whew, thought I was going crazy. Thanks for clearing it up.

Still in for one of these kits. Maybe even 2.
mikehinton
I'd be interested in a set too.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(mikehinton @ Nov 15 2012, 01:37 PM) *

I'd be interested in a set too.

Me too... aktion035.gif

--- Rob
able2222
I'd be interested if the nuts work with stock Fuchs (2 liter) 4 hole wheels.
ned911
Interested as well.
zymurgist
I'll take 1 set, 4-lug, black.
VaccaRabite
Is there pricing yet?

Zach
'73-914kid
Not yet Zach. By Monday at the latest I'll have pricing for the 4 different options.
lonewolfe

Hey, I've been wanting to do this conversion. Let me know when you have pricing.

Y
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 14 2012, 06:50 AM) *

Hey guys, so a friend of mine owns a store that sells wheel stud conversion kits for BMW's, and is getting involved in Porsches. He had mentioned being interested in selling a kit for 914's at a group buy price if enough people were interested in it.

The kit includes 16 thread in studs, and 16 high quality ball seat nuts. (these nuts are not the cheap imitators. These actually fit our ball seat wheels). Both are made in Europe and are TUV certified, so it's good quality hardware.

The studs are bullet nose, and thread in with an allen wrench. Installation is easy, and only require the removal of you wheels.

Here's a pic from his website of the dimensions of the stud that will come with the kit:
IPB Image

I'll know pricing options when I get back with him later today, but for those interested, please chime in.

Thanks everyone, Ethan

kharma
Interested, 16 / black.
Trekkor
I'm interested as well.

Can I get cone seat lug nuts instead?

KT
'73-914kid
You can Trek.
Trekkor
Cool!

KT
'73-914kid
QUOTE(able2222 @ Nov 15 2012, 11:37 AM) *

I'd be interested if the nuts work with stock Fuchs (2 liter) 4 hole wheels.

Yup, the seat radius fits 2.0L fuchs perfectly
billh1963
I'm in for a couple of sets pending some pictures. I really need to these on a car with 2.0 Fuchs to feel comfortable with the look!
VaccaRabite
There is no problem with the thread in Member Vendor, but group buys are permitted to run in the Garage, and this is a classic group buy.

Zach
'73-914kid
Haha, okay Zach. I had PM'ed Eric asking wether or not I should put the group buy here, or elsewhere, and he had said to put a link to it in the member vendor section. Should I move it to the garage?
G e o r g e
Not to stirthepot.gif , but Jims link is cheaper on 4 lug cars.

5 lug cars are less expensive though.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 19 2012, 04:04 PM) *

Haha, okay Zach. I had PM'ed Eric asking wether or not I should put the group buy here, or elsewhere, and he had said to put a link to it in the member vendor section. Should I move it to the garage?

The thread is already there. Follow Eric's advice.
'73-914kid
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Nov 19 2012, 02:39 PM) *

Unless I'm seeing things...
16 14x1.5mm 80mm studs $79.20
16 14x1.5mm yellow zinc nuts $27.04
total kit $106.24 +shipping

The kit for the group buy, assuming you're getting yellow zinc nuts is only $100 shipped, and may be less if people actually start committing to them in the other thread.

Not trying to start a pissing match at all, but I still believe these kits are cheaper..
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Nov 19 2012, 05:39 PM) *

Not really.

GB prices include shipping as well as a discount on the base price.

The difference is not going to be huge (maybe $20 to $25 for a 4 lug car) , but the GB prices will come out lower.

Shipping probably costs $10 to $15, and if we get 30 buyers we get $10 off the base price. Ends up being about 15% to 20% off total cost for a 4 lug car, more for a 5 lug car.
(assuming the silver,yellow zinc option.)

Zach
G e o r g e
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Nov 19 2012, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Nov 19 2012, 02:39 PM) *

Unless I'm seeing things...
16 14x1.5mm 80mm studs $79.20
16 14x1.5mm yellow zinc nuts $27.04
total kit $106.24 +shipping

The kit for the group buy, assuming you're getting yellow zinc nuts is only $100 shipped, and may be less if people actually start committing to them in the other thread.

Not trying to start a pissing match at all, but I still believe these kits are cheaper..

using the performance grade studs that appear to have the allen head installation

14mm Porsche Steel Lug Nuts M14.US.911 14mm Porsche Steel Lug Nuts $1.69 X 16 = $27.04

M14x1.5 Performance Studs M14.US.80 M14x1.5 Performance Studs
(80mm) $2.95 X 16 = $47.20

equals $91.74 shipping included, YMMV

Probably not apples to apples,
but even using the studs you used, in your $79.20 figure, with the black nuts the cost to me would be 128.64 shipped to my door. which is less than your
$137 quote as the base price. for this option.

As I stated 5 lug cars are cheaper, this site is about 25% higher for the 5th lug and your offering is only 10% or less.
'73-914kid
Again, apples to oranges. I called Ryan, and he said that they are not the same nuts, and made by a different manufacturer, not ACS. his kits are also TUV certified, which may not mean much to a lot of people, but they do have to undergo tests to meet certifications. They will not fail.

Are the ACS nuts good, yes, I'm sure they are, and they're also cheaper. (by $10) But the black nuts that come in the kit are higher quality and worth the price over ACS.
G e o r g e
Ethan,

quick question are your studs 90mm? not the 82mm in your picture?

if so definitely not Apples to Apples.
'73-914kid
Sorry, that was a typo, it is in fact 82mm on the studs. I'll change it after class
G e o r g e
idea.gif Just running numbers through my head it appears that if I or others can get 5 four lug cars in our area that want this it would be best to purchase 4 five lug sets at $110, then break them down our self at a cost of $88 per car. With further discounts applicable as the total number of sets sold increase. lowering the price down to as low as $78 per set?

I would be in for a set in the $80 range

would there be additional cost savings with multiple orders going to one location?

is tax included?

How does he sell 20 nuts for $5?

TUV wheel studs on Google search brings you right to Here.
'73-914kid
The website you found is the website he runs. Currently the group buy price for initial/entry level tier pricing on his website. This is a price that will be going up next month. The Porsche kits are a new addition to his line, so the initial price is just that, an introductory special. Prices will be going up soon. At the rate that all this is going however, it won't be long before we're down into 2nd or even 3rd tier pricing.

No special pricing for multiple kits to the same location. kits are shipped flat rate USPS.

Tax is included

Yes, if you can get enough people together to buy 5 kits, then distribute them off, you can.

Not sure exactly how he does his pricing break-down to be honest, but it's definetely a better deal to buy a whole kit, with nuts
biosurfer1
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Nov 19 2012, 07:17 PM) *

How does he sell 20 nuts for $5?

He doesn't...just because it's an add on to the stud kit doesn't mean he would sell them separately for $5.

It's a marketing thing...Just because you add fries and a drink for $1 to make a McD's combo doesn't mean they would sell you fries and a drink for $1.
eric9144
Anyone have an idea how much thread is going to come out of the nut on 4 bolt Fuchs? confused24.gif

Just curious because I have no plans for spacers and don't want to have a ton of bolt sticking out...
'73-914kid
I'm going to be ding an install on oldschool's (Jaime's 914) most likely next Monday once I'm back from Thanksgiving break. I'll have pictures for you and everyone else then Eric.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.