Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For owners of both an aircooled 911 and 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
96conv
which one is your favorite? If it's the 914, please tell me why. I'm on a neverending quest to find a car that will convince me to sell my SC. I've driven a Boxster S and thought that would be the one. It wasn't. I've driven the new turbo Miata and was impressed with it but that's still not the one. I've never driven a 914 though so please tell me about it.
phantom914
You need to find someone who will let you drive one. It's not like you will get an unbiased opinion here. wink.gif You need to see for yourself. I'll tell you one thing: if you are after performance don't expect to be impressed by a bone stock one without swaybars. They are fun for other reasons though.

Like I said try one! smile.gif (or two: original and modified)

Andrew
TheCabinetmaker
I have logged many miles behind the wheel of a 78 SC, and many more in the 914. There is no comparison between the two cars. The 914 will not make you sell your SC. Keep the SC and get a 914 also. They compliment each other very well. One is fast, the other is nimble. One is classy, the other is raw. IMHO. these are the best two Porsches to have in your stable.
anthony
I have both. I love both. They both have their charms.
Series9
I have and '80SC (wife's car) and a highly modified 914. To compare my 914 with a stock 914 would not be very analagous (sp), but this is my fourth 914 and the others were much nearer stock. I can tell you right now, having owned both, that I would dump the SC today if I came across a nice, original /4 or /6.

A /4 won't have the power of your SC, but put that 3.0 in the 914 and you've really got something. I will probably install sixes in all future 914s of mine. Trust me, it's worth the effort.

As far as driving impressions, if you think the SC is a nimble car, you haven't seen nothin' yet.

Go drive a 914, you probably won't go back. driving.gif
markb
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 3 2004, 08:21 PM)
I have logged many miles behind the wheel of a 78 SC, and many more in the 914. There is no comparison between the two cars. The 914 will not make you sell your SC. Keep the SC and get a 914 also. They compliment each other very well. One is fast, the other is nimble. One is classy, the other is raw. IMHO. these are the best two Porsches to have in your stable.

agree.gif

I couldn't have explained it better.
bob91403
Solano County? We've got several members in the Frisco/San Jose area. Somebody go out and give this guy a ride. Bring a towel and a bag, and tell him to bring a change of shorts, so he has something clean to wear when you let him try it. Wouldn't want him to stink up your drivers seat. driving.gif barf.gif wacko.gif blink.gif rolleyes.gif pain30.gif icon8.gif lol3.gif
campbellcj
I had an early 911 for 12 years (must've like it) and have had 2 914's in the last 5-6 years. Currently I have a 914...I'll leave it at that since this IS the 914club board w00t.gif
Bleyseng
Drive a 3.0l 914/6 and try to wipe that smile off your face. Nope, it stays on your face forever!

Geoff
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 3 2004, 10:19 PM)
Drive a 3.0l 914/6 and try to wipe that smile off your face. Nope, it stays on your face forever!

agree.gif
dgw
As others have said, keep the SC and get a 914. I have both. And if thats not enough throw in an RS America for extra fun.
krk
QUOTE(96conv @ Nov 3 2004, 08:12 PM)
which one is your favorite?  If it's the 914, please tell me why.  I'm on a neverending quest to find a car that will convince me to sell my SC.  I've driven a Boxster S and thought that would be the one.  It wasn't.  I've driven the new turbo Miata and was impressed with it but that's still not the one.  I've never driven a 914 though so please tell me about it.

Others have said this already, but oh well, I too can be repetitive. Over and over. again. over. again. over. /LF

anyway.

I love my 914. It's a factory 6 -- which means it's a whimp as 6'ers go -- in stock form it punchs out a whopping 110 hp (or some such thing). Yeh, it's decent, but it's not shocking on that front. I've never driven an SC, but I'd bet a dollar my 6er won't make you sell your SC. But it's quite a dfferent driving experience from a 911. AutoX really illustrates it. (did my first AX this year -- 1) what a blast and 2) what a blast.

Now, for my comparison, I do have an early turbo (with a slight engine upgrade). On the 911 side, it might tease you a bit -- but on an autoX it would probably be amusing. It can't out handle a suitably prepped 914 -- the word "nimble" was used early, and that's a perfect adjective. (heh heh -- he said "adjective") 911's are generally happier with more space -- longer straights, gentler curves, and room to run.

(I'm delighted with the turbo btw -- tho that could just be a boost-silliness comment wub.gif -- it's certainly faster on any straight section that isn't trivial and anything that accelerates that noticably can't be all bad. laugh.gif)

You don't really say what you expect from your car -- daily driver, AX, DE, etc. I'm guessing it sort of matters.

kim.

[edit. missed #2!]
Elliot_Cannon
I have a 79 911SC and when I drive it, it is my favorite car and I love it. I also have a 73 914 with a 2.2 4 and when I drive it, it is my favorite car and I love it. I hope this helps.
cheers, Elliot
boxstr
Go for a ride with Martin Baker when he gets his 9146 GT replica back together. If that doesn't make you want a 914, nothing will.
CCLINTESTDRIVE
Andyrew
Take a drive in a modified 944 turbo... You'll be sold for that...
krk
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 3 2004, 10:48 PM)
I have a 79 911SC and when I drive it, it is my favorite car and I love it. I also have a 73 914 with a 2.2 4 and when I drive it, it is my favorite car and I love it. I hope this helps.
cheers, Elliot

Elliot -- you said in two sentences exactly what I was trying to say. Damn! Perfect! laugh.gif

kim.
joea9146
I also have both.... I have a 84 911 and a 75 914... The 914 has a 3.0 motor. That is more the work horse.
The 911 is the more comfortable crusing around car. The 911 is something the wife does not mind on long trips. While she will ride in the 914 she definetly perfers the 911. Get both but get a 914/6 at leat a 2.7 or larger.
SP9146
I also have both a 1986 Carrera and a 1970 914-6. The 914-6 is a sports car, the 911 a GT. The 914-6 is more fun, the 911 nicer on a long drive up the coast. But haven't done that yet in the 914, when I do I might prefer it in that scene as well.

The 911 feels a bit heavy compared to the 914. The 914 is more intoxicating.
jim912928
I also have both...find a way to do that! Like it has been said before, the 911 is a more refined driver (although it does put you back in the seat when you get on the gas...a 914-4 will not do that) and the 914 is more like a gocart on rails. I wouldn't give up either of them (I am looking for a good 3.0l 6 for the 914 though!).
Thorshammer
Okay, Okay,

The differences are many.

1. Consider what you are going to use the car for. If you have any thoughts about impressing anyone, the 914 will only get the nod if it is a six and by people who really know cars. If it is pure driving enjoyment then read on.

2. I have owned 4 cyl/ 6 cylinder 914's 912/911 and I will tell you that for pure driving pleasure there is nothing like a 914 when properly prepared! Now you may ask yourself "what is properly prepared"?
That depends on you. For me. it is the following:
-3.0 liter motor or bigger with S cams and webers, just like how they bark, but thats me
-Stainless 1 5/8 headers with twin mufflers
-Wevo shifter (or equiv)
-23mm master cylinder/lines S calipers, mastert cylinder support welded into the crossmember
-19mm front torsion bars, with soft bushings, not delrin or bearings, wletmeister front bar, no rear
-slight flare on the rear fenders on stock fender
-16X7 up front 16X8 out back 205 and 225 respectively
-Lowered 25mm from standard
-standard seats modified with smaller seat pad
-Momo 320 mm wheel.
-5 point belts
-Brads internal stiffeners for the rockers (haven't use these in this combination, but better than mayeurs outside stuff for stiffness.
All else in good working order

I have built this car several times and found this package to be this best compromise of acceleration, braking,shifting, ergonomics,cost and a helluva lot of fun. if you have a car this can be done for 10 K. And smoke most modern day cars.

For the 911,

- Ruf 17x7- 17x8 wheels fits under standard SC bodywork
-Wevo shifter ( dont like how any of them shift)
-B&B muffler, K&N filter
-Camber brace
- 5 point belts
-lowered 20mm

My 2 cents worth, But the real question is can you do the work yourself????, if you can't,... better buy the 911 or if you can afford to build the 914 than that is possible as well. But your ability and your wallet will determine your path.

Erik Madsen
MJHanna
Every Porsche I have owned has given me a good feeling. Just different, the 356 as soon as you backed out of the drive up you KNEW you were in a Porsche. I’ve done the double car deal for a lot of years, (more years than when I have owned just one). The 914 was the weapon of choice for the track. Fun to push, great fun beating 911’s through the corners…. But I always go back to a 911 as the Porsche I will always try to keep….. “The some day I’ll own another one type car”…. Each time its been a different flavor but I was ways come back, whether is a SC, a 930, or a Carrera I just can’t get rid of that feeling. I’m not slamming 914s I’ve owned more of them than 911’s each one has its own personality. It’s just depends on what your looking for. wink.gif
Nick
I have both a 81 911SC and a 914. When I bought the SC I had owned the 914 for 5 years and it was my daily driver. I bought the SC as my sensible dialy driver. The 911 is comfortable fast and feels very heavy compared with the 914. I was underwhelmed at first but over the past 4 or 5 years i have owned the 911 I have liked it better and better and can't thnk of not having both. Basically for long trips and tooling around town the 911 gets the nod. For pure pleasure drives its always the 914. I should have the 3.0 6 conversion done by Christmass so hopefully I will have combined the best aspects of both cars.

Nick
ppickerell
I too have a 78 911 SC and a couple of 914's. I love both cars. I am putting in rebuild costs more money into the 914 than I paid for a perfect example of a 911. If you quit that other job and come to work for Peridot, I will give you one of my 914's as a signing bonus! smilie_pokal.gif
DipShit
The only sane replacement for your SC would be a 930! Anything less would be "trading down".
Joe Bob
I like the one that I'm in...they all have their foibles....they all have their excellent attributes.

I just hate stock cars....when I get in the wife's Yukon.....I bury myself in a book and let her drive.

When I'm in my hot rods...if'n ah dasn't hit the rev limiter at least once, I've had too much prozac..... wacko.gif
96conv
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Nov 4 2004, 08:42 AM)
If you quit that other job and come to work for Peridot, I will give you one of my 914's as a signing bonus! smilie_pokal.gif

You really know how to get to me, Patrick. It's a tough decision as I'm having another great year. Looks like I'm going to win a sales award again (2nd time in 4 years), a 5 day trip to Hawaii for two. Another P-car is hard to pass up though.
apexeric
I have owned a 1988 Carrera, a 1991 Carrera 4, and a 1987 944S.

I have a 1987 924S that is for sale (see post in classified section).

And I have a 1992 968 that is absolutly mint.

BUT the one Porsche that I have owned the longest and enjoyed the most is my 1974 914 1.8!

I have autocrossed and generally driven the crap out of my 914. It is not real fast but it handles better than any Porsche I have ever driven.
Rhodes71/914
I only have a 914 with a 1.7 D-jet FI that I just got on the road last weekend. I can't wipe the smile off my face. I'm still doing some tuning but still amazed at how this car drives. I have driven a couple of 911s and they were fun but a lot different than the 914.

I will have both someday!
Deano
I own both, and when I tell my non-Porsche owning friends that the 914 is more fun to drive, no one ever believes me. The 911 has great power and the 914 of course handles like a go-kart, but there is a certain "basic feel" to the 914 that is just hard to describe. I have the 911 so my family can go with on weekend drives, but if I really want to go tear it up, the 914 is the more fun of the two. So, if you want neck snapping acceleration, or raw power, the 914 my not suit your needs but for pure driving enjoyment it's hard to beat.
dheinz
I also own both a 1982 911SC and a 1970 914/6. The 911 is a great car that gets the public's attention, handles great, and is a dream car. The 914 with the 3.2 jump starts my heart every time i drive it, which is mostly on the track.
Drive a prepared 3.0 or larger 914 and you will get the feeling.
ppickerell
QUOTE(96conv @ Nov 4 2004, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Nov 4 2004, 08:42 AM)
If you quit that other job and come to work for Peridot, I will give you one of my 914's as a signing bonus! smilie_pokal.gif

You really know how to get to me, Patrick. It's a tough decision as I'm having another great year. Looks like I'm going to win a sales award again (2nd time in 4 years), a 5 day trip to Hawaii for two. Another P-car is hard to pass up though.

Dude,
You have'nt seen the car yet! laugh.gif
EdwardBlume
914s rule.

993s are OK.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.