Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCV Valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
How do you tell when your PCV valve needs replacement?

If you need one, where do you get it and about how much? I've checked Pelican and GPR, but can't find one. I haven't called Brad yet, but I know he can get anything. I'm just curious how much they cost. They aren't much for a Honda at my FLAPS, but I doubt they would have one for a 914.
McMark
From the dealer. Who's got the part number?
pbanders
Here is the information you need.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/PCV.htm
ThinAir
Thanks, Brad! That is great information. In all the years that I've had a 914, I've never done anything with the PCVV, except hook the breather hose up to it. On other cars it's always part of the maintenance routine, but for some reason I've never thought about it before as far as my Type IV is concerned.

The reason I asked about this is because I'm starting to assemble my 2.0L D-Jet. I want this to be an absolutely dry engine. One of the most often cited causes for the seep of oil from a Type IV engine is pressure within the crankcase, so it occured to me that if the PCV valve was not operating correctly, it could be part of why a Type IV leaks oil.

So is there an "engine breathing unit" that would be a good thing to put onto a Type IV to replace the stock PCV valve? You see a lot of these kinds of units on VWs, especially Type I engines, but these are almost always carbureted engines. Brad's helpful page makes it look like it's really no big deal to maintain or replace the stock valve, but I'm just wondering if there is a better way to go.
SLITS
If you could make it fit into the oil filler assembly, most any PCV valve would work IMO.

And also remember you have the AFB valve which is also venting crankcase pressure via suction to the aircleaner.
ThinAir
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 4 2004, 09:03 AM)
...the AFB valve...

The what? What is this and where is it? (I probably should go look at Brand Anders pages before I ask this.)
Dave_Darling
I just got a PCV valve from Pelican. It's not in the catalog, but it is available. Some of the associated bits are not, though.

--DD
ThinAir
icon_bump.gif
Thanks Dave. So what's an AFB valve?
pbanders
AFB = Anti-flashback. If I recall correctly, it's not a "valve", but a metal can filled with mesh that is connected through a hose on one side to the air box, and "tees" off on the other side to the heads. It's designed to stop backfire flame fronts from propagating to the heads, where the flame could ignite combustible gasses in the crankcase.

I just took a look in the factory workshop manual. Porsche also calls it a valve, but there is no valving mechanism inside of it that I'm aware of.

The crankcase ventilation system functioning is described on the web page I referenced in an earlier posting.
ctc911ctc
ANYONE have a source for PVC valves? Mine is mighty leaky.
914Sixer
No replacements that I know of. 022 115 542. Might check with George at AutoAtlanta.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
should be able to clean yours and as long as it does not leak be all set, it simply unscrews from the oil filler housing.

We have new ones but they are expensive

QUOTE(ThinAir914 @ Nov 3 2004, 09:06 PM) *

How do you tell when your PCV valve needs replacement?

If you need one, where do you get it and about how much? I've checked Pelican and GPR, but can't find one. I haven't called Brad yet, but I know he can get anything. I'm just curious how much they cost. They aren't much for a Honda at my FLAPS, but I doubt they would have one for a 914.

Not_A_Six
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 3 2019, 07:35 AM) *

should be able to clean yours and as long as it does not leak be all set, it simply unscrews from the oil filler housing.

I tried cleaning it, but I think mine is sticking and/or worn and messing up my idle. I tried to order one from AA, but it looks like they're out of stock and they are NLA. Anybody got a current source for a PCV valve?

Thanks.
914Sixer
Let it soak in some parts cleaner or PB blaster for a day or so then see what happens. You should be able to hear cylinder going back and forth when you shake it.
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 20 2019, 06:50 AM) *

Let it soak in some parts cleaner or PB blaster for a day or so then see what happens. You should be able to hear cylinder going back and forth when you shake it.

Thanks. I'll try cleaning it again. Does a 914 PCV valve rattle like a modern one? Mine does not, but I thought that was normal because the spring inside keeps the plunger closed except when under vacuum... confused24.gif
914Sixer
Don't think I have ever seen a spring one. I will check the one in the warehouse later in the week.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 2 2019, 03:09 PM) *

ANYONE have a source for PVC valves? Mine is mighty leaky.

bdstone914
@Not_A_Six date='Oct 19 2019, 07:32 PM' post='2755826']
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' post='2702189' date='Apr 3 2019, 07:35 AM']

[/quote]

I tried cleaning it, but I think mine is sticking and/or worn and messing up my idle. I tried to order one from AA, but it looks like they're out of stock and they are NLA. Anybody got a current source for a PCV valve?

Thanks.
[/quote]

I have cleaned and replated ones for $25 shipped.
Bruce
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 20 2019, 05:49 PM) *

Bruce

Awesome! Thanks!

I sent you a message to set up the order.

How do you "replate" them? The case looks like it can't be opened...

Not_A_Six
QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Oct 20 2019, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 20 2019, 05:49 PM) *

Bruce

Awesome! Thanks!

@bdstone914

Well, I understand now what you mean by "replated". I got a shiny yellow-zinc-(re)plated anti-flashback valve in the mail today. Thanks. It looks beautiful. smile.gif

Unfortunately, what I needed is a PCV valve. sad.gif

So far, I'm 0 for 2 with this part. Anybody have a current source for a PCV valve for a '73 2.0?

Thanks.
bdstone914
@Not_A_Six ' date='Nov 4 2019, 11:23 PM' post='2759481']
[quote name='Not_A_Six' post='2756001' date='Oct 20 2019, 04:59 PM']
[quote name='bdstone914' post='2756000' date='Oct 20 2019, 05:49 PM']
Bruce
[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks!

[/quote]

@bdstone914

Well, I understand now what you mean by "replated". I got a shiny yellow-zinc-(re)plated anti-flashback valve in the mail today. Thanks. It looks beautiful. smile.gif

Unfortunately, what I needed is a PCV valve. sad.gif

So far, I'm 0 for 2 with this part. Anybody have a current source for a PCV valve for a '73 2.0?

Thanks.
[/quote]

What part are you describing? There is no true PCV valve on a D jet motor.

914werke
Depends on what you call a "true" PCV valve.
73-74 D-jet cars have a screw in "PCV" valve in oil chimney.
Its a simple spring loaded affair that you should be able to disassemble, clean & reuse.
PET: Ventilation Valve 914 PVC. No Longer Available Porsche 022 115 542.
sixnotfour
Bowlsby #12
sixnotfour
bowlsby
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 5 2019, 02:10 AM) *

Bowlsby #12

Yep, thanks. That's it. Part #12 on the diagram is the one that I need.

I cleaned my old one out, but it won't seal under back pressure, and I suspect that it's worn and flows more air than it is supposed to when under vacuum.

Cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.