Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new stainless heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Triaddave
i was reading the newest edition of Excellence and came on the SSI ad with the 914 / 2.0 heat exchangers pictured. long story short, bottom line, F.O.B. from warehouse in California,...$1000.00. lead time 4-6 weeks.
SSI by JP Group
homepage listed:www.jpgroup.dk.
has this already been talked about?
ConeDodger
Yes. I believe John sold out and the new company is re-expanding the line.
Triaddave
seems alittle expensive compaired to what john was selling them for... I think they were around $250-$300 way back when
Tom
Boy, Dave,
You sure gave me a good deal on my complete exhaust, about half of what new SSI's are by themselves. Still looking good too!
Tom
ConeDodger
About market value though. I sold a new set a few years back for $900.00. Scooter drove up from the Bay Area to get them too...

If they're all stainless that might be the current price...
gothspeed
So are these being made now?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Triaddave @ Nov 15 2012, 08:24 PM) *
...I think they were around $250-$300 way back when

Well - when ?
Per the inflation calculator:
What cost $300 in 1980 would cost $806.05 in 2011.

so there ya go. $500 lost just to inflation...
Gint
Perfectly reasonable IMO. I'm glad to see they are being produced.
GeorgeRud
Now, will they reconsider 914-6 stainless heat exchangers? With so many conversions out there, perhaps there is a market to justify the tooling costs.
914itis
Or you can buy this. Ebay

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
IronHillRestorations
I doubt in on the 6 HE's. I actually sent a set of 6'er boxes to Martin Pedersen at JP Group about ten years ago, and they didn't want to quote. Here's the realy sucky part: the story I got was that Porsche scrapped the tooling to stamp the heater shell halves.

I wanted to see about getting new shells stamped out of mild steel and then making new tubing out of stainless and just thermal coat them. Unless I wanted to spend a ton of money on tooling, it was a no go for me.
GaroldShaffer
Glad to see they are making them again.

Not being a welding expert, but if you had a good pair of 1.7 SSI exchangers it shouldn't be to hard to modify the ends to make them fit a 2.0? I mean cut them at the bend and make/bend new tubes and weld them on along with the flanges??? blink.gif
May not look 100% stock, but I would think it could be done cheaper than $1K confused24.gif

Just thinking out loud slap.gif But hey if I had an extra $1k it would be nice to have anew set of SSI for my 2.0
CG-914
QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 29 2012, 02:47 PM) *

I bet that's George...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(CG-914 @ Dec 29 2012, 06:10 PM) *

QUOTE(914itis @ Dec 29 2012, 02:47 PM) *

I bet that's George...

You got it!

I bought my SSI's in '75 for around 350/pair. 37 years later they still look new (well, I polish them from time to time) and work perfectly. These should be lifetime parts!
Now, what I'd really like is a stainless muffler, disguised with proper-look high temp paint.
CG-914
Ceramic coating would probably be the only thing that would stick!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 29 2012, 11:28 AM) *

Now, will they reconsider 914-6 stainless heat exchangers? With so many conversions out there, perhaps there is a market to justify the tooling costs.

If the price was OK I'd go for that...I just decided to scrap heat on my conversion. All options seem to be crazy money and/or don't heat well.
euro911
Wow, I guess I'm lucky ... picked up a really nice set of 2.0L SSIs for $300. last year smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.