Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Dr. Evil transmission build. This one has some fancy bits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Here is a build I started tonight. It is going to be pretty special with an LSD and some billet bits. Even though I am not for billet intermediate plates, I still like the look and this customer had been amassing parts for a long time before he heard my thoughts on them. No biggie. They take good pics smile.gif

What you see here is a 930 pinion bearing, the rare and NLA steel caged input bearing, and a billet plate.
Ductech
Pretty wicked lookin stuff thar Dr...
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 16 2012, 08:06 PM) *

Here is a build I started tonight. It is going to be pretty special with an LSD and some billet bits. Even though I am not for billet intermediate plates, I still like the look and this customer had been amassing parts for a long time before he heard my thoughts on them. No biggie. They take good pics smile.gif

What you see here is a 930 pinion bearing, the rare and NLA steel caged input bearing, and a billet plate.

There is no beer, beef jerky, or flatulence haze in the picture. How do we know that this is your workshop and not some stock photo? poke.gif
sixaddict
Evil:
I have repeatedly trashed first year in apparent 4th to 3rd missed shift ...Have a rennshift and still did it ....Any suggestions other than tightening loose nut behind the wheel
TOT
Dr Evil
With a rennshifter you need to have your adjustments and shift linkage in perfect shape or you will start to erode your gear box. You should not be hitting 1st with a rennshifter, that is what it is expressly set up to prevent with its springs.
sixnotfour
What kind of LSD ??
Cap'n Krusty

The steel caged input shaft may be rare, and it may be NLA, but it was a lower cost replacement/substitute for the brass caged bearing when it appeared on the aftermarket. In fact, the brass one kinda disappeared from the market for a bit back in the late '70s/early '80s. It was never OE, IIRC, and never preferred.

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 17 2012, 12:28 PM) *

The steel caged input shaft may be rare, and it may be NLA, but it was a lower cost replacement/substitute for the brass caged bearing when it appeared on the aftermarket. In fact, the brass one kinda disappeared from the market for a bit back in the late '70s/early '80s. It was never OE, IIRC, and never preferred.

The Cap'n

The steel caged bearings were available up to about 5 years ago at some venders. It is a far superior design and does not break as easy as the brass caged nonsense. I have yet to see one fail.
sixnotfour
brass-ebay-Carquip pinion bearing---- not input----
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-901-904-90...2946#vi-content
Dave_Darling
My mechanic had a number of unkind things to say about the brass-caged ones when we did the rebuild. He preferred the steel-caged bearings as well; probably because they were one unit and didn't fall apart as you were trying to install them. (At least, that's the impression that I got from what he was saying.)

--DD
Dr Evil
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 17 2012, 12:43 PM) *

Wrong bearing.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 17 2012, 12:47 PM) *

My mechanic had a number of unkind things to say about the brass-caged ones when we did the rebuild. He preferred the steel-caged bearings as well; probably because they were one unit and didn't fall apart as you were trying to install them. (At least, that's the impression that I got from what he was saying.)

--DD

The cages and balls can fall out, but the balls are captive in the cage. The main thing is that the steel doe snot shatter and the brass shatters very easy. I have seen more than once where a new one broke with minimal effort (not by me, luckily). That is a $200+ bearing that does this.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 17 2012, 10:45 AM) *

Wrong bearing.

I know=== what LSD?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 17 2012, 01:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 17 2012, 10:45 AM) *

Wrong bearing.

I know=== what LSD?

Then why did you post it?
sixnotfour
trigger finger remembered a repo bearing , they supply , ya wrong one ,but i left it and , put not input..maybe they could do a repo of the other. slap.gif
does that splain it smile.gif
Qarl
I bet it's a Guard Torsen Differential going in there!

piratenanner.gif
iamchappy
Qarl cheated, he knows all the answers, because it's his.....
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 17 2012, 09:17 AM) *

What kind of LSD ??

Purple dots, I think ..............................

The Cap'n
Qarl
Avoid the brown acid!
Dr Evil
Dang, well Qarl knows because it IS his smile.gif

I am honored to be building such a fine transmission thumb3d.gif

More pics as I do things.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 17 2012, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 17 2012, 12:47 PM) *

--DD

The cages and balls can fall out, but the balls are captive in the cage. The main thing is that the steel doe snot shatter and the brass shatters very easy. I have seen more than once where a new one broke with minimal effort (not by me, luckily). That is a $200+ bearing that does this.

I haven't really had a problem with the replacement brass cage bearings over the last 39 years, but I haven't done nearly as many trannies as you have. No comebacks, though, so the bearings must be holding up ..............

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
I haven't done nearly as many trannies as you have.

Sounds like a veiled insult! wink.gif

Seriously, I have not had a single standard brass bearing come back after I replaced it, but I have had to replace a lot of the brass caged bearings due to them being destroyed. I have never needed to replace a steel caged one. The brass is adequate, but inferior to the steel.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 18 2012, 07:57 AM) *

I haven't done nearly as many trannies as you have.

Sounds like a veiled insult! wink.gif

Seriously, I have not had a single standard brass bearing come back after I replaced it, but I have had to replace a lot of the brass caged bearings due to them being destroyed. I have never needed to replace a steel caged one. The brass is adequate, but inferior to the steel.

No insult, veiled or otherwise, meant. Just 'cause I'm generally krusty doesn't mean everything I say is that way ............................................

Carry on with the good work!

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Time for an update. I did some LSD tonight, I am not that fond of this procedure, but it is necessary smile.gif In the original pics of the intermediate plate it shows the old bearing retainer. That would not be good enough for Qarl, oh no! He went all fancy smile.gif I put the fancy one on once I found he had shipped one rolleyes.gif
Qarl
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 30 2012, 10:59 PM) *

Time for an update. I did some LSD tonight, I am not that fond of this procedure, but it is necessary smile.gif In the original pics of the intermediate plate it shows the old bearing retainer. That would not be good enough for Qarl, oh no! He went all fancy smile.gif I put the fancy one on once I found he had shipped one rolleyes.gif

Muhahaha
turk22
Its beautiful....

but it makes me feel stupid. headbang.gif
Bleyseng
Why the LSD?

Is it because of all the extra weight the longest ever 9146gt build will carry now?
a914622
Isnt that a tork biased differential? not a lsd.

jcl
Qarl
Yes.. it is a torsen (torque biasing) differential. Different characteristics than the LSD.

Dr Evil
For most people, LSD is not delineated into Tq bias or puck type. So, LSD is slang.
Dr Evil
I had time to get back on this build tonight. Qarl told me to take my time smile.gif I set the pinion depth to spot on factory spec and only need to clean the tail cone and button her up then ship her out.
Cap'n Krusty
Tell me that's not a redneck jackstand in the last picture! ..........................

The Cap'n
MDG
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 30 2013, 11:27 AM) *

Tell me that's not a redneck jackstand in the last picture! ..........................

The Cap'n

No, sir. That appears to be a medical grade transmission lift.
sixnotfour
ball retianer
Mark Henry
That looks like a thick flange on the side cover. Does the 901 suffer from the diff trying to spread apart under high HP ?

Besides 1st what are the weak links in a 901?
iamchappy
Forget Qarl send that thing to me. Mike i wish i could get you up here to look at my transmission, i would love to have a longer gear for 5th.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 30 2013, 04:52 PM) *

ball retianer

That retainer would not work in the 901 race as there is two grooves and a raised part between them.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 30 2013, 05:46 PM) *

That looks like a thick flange on the side cover. Does the 901 suffer from the diff trying to spread apart under high HP ?

Besides 1st what are the weak links in a 901?

Not really necessary, but people do what they want smile.gif

The weak parts:

- 1st gear, cant be helped

- Gears, cant be helped. They are thinner than the 915, 930, G50, etc gears so they can shear under extreme stress.

- Input shaft intermediate plate bearing, change to a steel caged one if you can find one. Otherwise, be gentile while handling or the shitty brass cage will break.

No need to adjust gearing until 3.0 and higher. I have a 2.7 that is doing just fine. You have to consider RPM and HP. How low of an RPM will have how much HP? Too much HP at Low RPM = untimely death in wrong gear.....like down shifting into 1st form 5th doing 150mph.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 30 2013, 07:29 PM) *

How low of an RPM will have how much HP? Too much HP at Low RPM = untimely death in wrong gear.....like down shifting into 1st form 5th doing 150mph.

I think in that scenario you would have more to worry about than just your tranny....
There again in that scenario maybe the 901 letting go would be a good thing. wink.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 30 2013, 04:22 PM) *

ball retianer

That retainer would not work in the 901 race as there is two grooves and a raised part between them.

worked great in mine ??
Dr Evil
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 30 2013, 10:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 30 2013, 04:22 PM) *

ball retianer

worked great in mine ??

Picture?
sixnotfour
of what?? it looks just like any other brass caged bearing.. the 2 half cages go back to back, I just made a one piece out of better material..
gms
Brilliant Jeff!
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
You made that? By hand or with computer stuff?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.