Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump question and pic needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
freezing14
ok i have the engine completely assembled, on a stand next to the car, made a wiring haress extention ( to run the engine outside the car ( helps with toubleshooting) everything hooked up, finally got the fuel pump to run ( it is not connected to the rest of the system exept for the wire, when i turn the key to on it starts but does not stop is it supposed to stop , I have read that it should run only for a couple of seconds, i have tried 2 computer and it does the same for both, i also need a picture of the engine from the top without the air filter, so that i can see where all the thigny are mounted

thanks
Joe Bob
It should run up to pressure, stop and then start again when pressure bleeds off.

Is this FI or carbs? Do you have a return line to the fuel supply? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
SLITS
When you first turn the key on, it runs for 15 sec to build pressure in the rails for start. It does not run again until you go to the start position (starter turning). After the engine starts it continues to run.

If it runs in the on position, you either have a bad relay on the relay board or you are mis-wired somewhere.

The fact that it continually runs is no problem, unless you have a leaky injector.
freezing14
it is a d-jet

ok ,, i will have to run the tubing to the pump, i was not hooked up to the gas line yet, a bit of oil in it ,running with no load and for fear of hurting it , i did not let the system run it for more than a couple of seconds, i am trying to check every item i put on the engine 1 step at a time, thats why the gas line are not connected,

I will try with gas tonight to see if the pressure building makes a difference, may be the computer can read the pump pressure by monitoring the load on the motor of the pump??? what do you thing ever try to run dry??
SLITS
run any roller pump dry for an extended period and it will heat up the head from friction and possibly affect the O ring seals. The fluid going thru them (even petrol) is a cooling mechanism.

Image you requested a little later.
freezing14
i knew that the friction heat would damage the pump if it ran dry for too long , thats why i poured oil in it and ran it for no more than 3-5 sec at a time, i will see tonight how it does with gas
aveale
Freezing,

Just did some serious fuel pump work.

In Vegas now, call me monday nite at home.

Fuel problems are Fun problems.

T
freezing14
Hey Aveale,, I only have your office number, i know you have mine,, or e-mail me your home number

talk to you monday
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.