Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moment of Glory-Lap Record in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
mettelman
Here is how "it " happened. Back in 1998 I was driving my 914-6 at Watkins Glen in the all-Porsche Gmund Cup. After completing the race and relaxing beside my car (#914), I encountered a steady stream of people looking at the car and then congratulating me. After a while I thought I had better check with Scoring and Timing and get the results sheet.
Much to my amazement, I had finished first in this prestigious event ... ahead of Brian Redman, Bob Snodgrass and a host of talented drivers in some very fast cars. I took that result sheet (see below) to as many of those drivers as I find and had them sign it.

Now that you are in disbelief, take a closer look at that sheet. My 11th lap was erroneously recorded at 17 seconds! 3.37 miles in 17.174 seconds ... that's over 700 mph.

Of course, the results were corrected but I have "proof" that the fastest lap ever recorded at Watkins Glen was in a 914
sixnotfour
its in print it must be true.....

Lets see the 914
mettelman
must be true ... I read it on the internet
mettelman
record-setting car
mettelman
one more photo
URY914
DAMN!!!

Looks fast! biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Wait it wasnt Yellow ........... lol-2.gif
brant
yoko 032's?

ndfrigi
Sir, where is that car now? It looks like you have now is a 1972 914.
mettelman
IIRC yes, those where Yokohama AO 32s. And I do not know where that car is today, It was been sold at least twice after I sold it. My current ride is a 72 914-4 race car-less power, just as much fun and slower competition!
carr914
I'm surprized I wasn't at that race, as I was born in Watkins Glen & used to go back home a few times a year when my parents were still alive.

Your original car looks like the car smg914 used to race in PCA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.