Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chroming Bumpers/center console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mettelman
I am looking at chroming the black-painted bumpers of at 73 non-appearance group car and adding a center console w/gauges. Any estimate what it might cost?
Tom_T
QUOTE(mettelman @ Nov 19 2012, 12:05 PM) *

I am looking at chroming the black-painted bumpers of at 73 non-appearance group car and adding a center console w/gauges. Any estimate what it might cost?

You may be better off checking with Bruce/bdstone on here for some of his DD-quality rechromed bumpers (find one of his ads & try PMing him), &/or buying some nice DD quality used ones from on here or other sources.

The painted bumpers were generally of a lower quality surface finish since they were to be painted, so you'd need a high quality triple chrome (copper-nickel-chrome) by a pro who will take the time to do multiple copper layers & finishing to get them smooth, which is also what needs to be done on concours level rechroming of a chrome bumper.

That type of workmanship runs $800-1000 per bumper out here in CA due to our severe enviro limits, but can be had for less - maybe $400-800 in other states.

There are several back east who do show car level chroming who advertise in Hemmings publications, if that's what you're looking for.

BarberDave on here does center console resto's for his charity donations, so you might try finding his ads & PM him, & also search the classifieds here, evil-bay, Pelican, TheSamba, etc. AA & maybe CAMP914 & others also sell new repro center consoles, and VDO sells the new smaller diameter gauges for them.

Again, cost will vary as to whether you want DD quality, fresh repro, or concours level restored original console & gauges, with the former running $50-100 & up, check sellers for current repro costs, & an excellent concours one would be $250 & up.

If you find a nice one with gauges which need repair &/or full resto, then try Palo Alto Speedometer or North Hollywood Speedometer, who know VDO gauges & Porsches well.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

P.M. sent ! Thanks for the referal and kind words Tom. Dave slap.gif
sixaddict
I paid $450 in SC chrome was nice but straightening could have been better.
I believe Paul's quoted me 750 ... They are big players and well known.
Terry

QUOTE(mettelman @ Nov 19 2012, 12:05 PM) *

Porsche930dude
I thought this looked intresting. for 20$ or so per bumper i think its worth a try

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=196561&hl=
bembry
I used a guy off ebay that does VDO and similar restorations that did a couple of gauges for me. They came out great, and a helluva lot less than than what I've heard the CA speedometer shops go for. He is ebay member "shephco" and operates out of Virginia. He has auctions for specific services, like just fixing the odometer, or can restore the whole gauge and make it really look nice. He was a cool guy to deal with. I just messaged him on ebay, then got what I wanted outside of an auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Speedomete...354&vxp=mtr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.