Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Front Cross Panel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
gms
From years of working on 914s I have found four different Front Cross Panel (Schloßquerwand vorn)

1970-72
Click to view attachment

1973-74
Two flat areas were created for the back of the bumperettes.
Click to view attachment

1975-76
Provisions for the 5 MPH bumper shocks were added.
Click to view attachment

Replacement Panel
Note the holes are not cut out.
Click to view attachment
OmaPossu
Thank you for sharing! Although it is now harder to find right one wink.gif
sixnotfour
Nice work Glenn.
FYI in about 1983 I bought one from the dealer and that time it was the latest version,
I just bought an NOS late one and plan on splicing in the early detial section L&R.
sixerdon
Gee, Glenn. My '75 (11/74) is as your third photo shows with holes for plugs, but my 2 '76's are as the 4th photo with out the holes. IMOH, I don't think '76's came with plugs.
For sure, the ones without holes became the last version and thus THE replacement panel.
I would like to hear from other '75 & '76 owners.

Don
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Nov 29 2012, 06:42 PM) *
I would like to hear from other '75 & '76 owners.

The front half of TheLimo™ is a '75 and it has the holes with black plastic plugs ...

idea.gif
sixnotfour
Right= 75's to some point had rubber plugs.
SirAndy
475.29.09903, painted over but clearly holes with plastic plugs:

IPB Image

IPB Image

SirAndy
476.29.03506, and here's a '76 with holes:

IPB Image
SirAndy
476.29.01132, and another '76 with the black plugs:

IPB Image
SirAndy
47629.00593, and another:

IPB Image
rjames
My '75 has the holes and plastic plugs.
gms
CAVEAT LECTOR!
This is MY findings and is not written in stone.
Feel free to post variations...maybe the 4th incarnation then became the replacement panel.
boogie_man
I Have a 72 and bought a right front body section off of a 73 with the
headlamp bucket as well (mine was toast from previous owner/hacked & filled
with bondo). I must of stared at that forever thinking it wasn't the same as the other side (we sectioned it) and now I also notice the headlamp buckets are different too as the 72 has the brush wipers as the the 73 side as the larger opening where the oval hole is "taller" and won't fit a brush (but figured out a way
to modify it). This is how it came out:
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(gms @ Dec 1 2012, 09:29 AM) *
Feel free to post variations...maybe the 4th incarnation then became the replacement panel.

Since 476.29.03506 shows the holes with plugs and it's pretty late for a '76 (Only 4100 made that year) i think we need the VIN numbers from Sixerdon's two '76 cars to fit them into the production range for '76.

If both his cars are later than 3506 there might be a chance he's right, otherwise, i'd say both of them had the front end repaired at some point.

idea.gif
sixerdon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2012, 12:00 PM) *

Since 476.29.03506 shows the holes with plugs and it's pretty late for a '76 (Only 4100 made that year) i think we need the VIN numbers from Sixerdon's two '76 cars to fit them into the production range for '76.

If both his cars are later than 3506 there might be a chance he's right, otherwise, i'd say both of them had the front end repaired at some point.

idea.gif

One of my '76's is #3751......chas #4829002. Although a parts car, it's listed in the data file. I have owned it for almost 20 years as a car that had an engine fire and I acquired it before the crusher did. There is no indication that it is a replacement panel as the frame and fenders are straight and original. Even the bumper "lips" are original. Now I would ask,... are the bumper "lips" included on the replacement panel (RP)? You would think not if the "RP" was also meant to fit and adapt to all earlier years. But then you would have two extra large holes for the bumper shocks!

The other is in a garage a few miles away. I'll check on it some time this week.
I would ask other '76 owners to come forward and verify their front panel & VIN's to help solve this mystery.

Don
scotty b
Micheal's 6 had the nose replaced early in it's life and the replcement had no holes. All of the panels on his car that were replaced appear to be factory parts
Cairo94507
And we ain't a drillin' no holes on that there panel to make it look like a riginal panel neither. smile.gif (I figure it's just that much more water tight and less chance of water getting trapped in there somehow to start the rust monster.)
BTW Scotty that face freaks me out.
914runnow
Danny Gaddy who is on here..has a 76 w/only 2 holes also..
(shelby)....
will get his vin, and post it,so the point of change..
can possibly be pinpointed..
Although...most of us know....
Hans and company were digging deep in the bins
to get rid of all they could on 76 models..
could be some x-over on multi/2 hole panels.. confused24.gif
914runnow
QUOTE(914runnow @ Dec 15 2012, 08:32 AM) *

Danny Gaddy who is on here..has a 76 w/only 2 holes also..
(shelby)....
will get his vin, and post it,so the point of change..
can possibly be pinpointed..
Although...most of us know....
Hans and company were digging deep in the bins
to get rid of all they could on 76 models..
could be some x-over on multi/2 hole panels.. confused24.gif

sixerdon
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Dec 2 2012, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2012, 12:00 PM) *

idea.gif

One of my '76's is #3751......chas #4829002. Although a parts car, it's listed in the data file. I have owned it for almost 20 years as a car that had an engine fire and I acquired it before the crusher did. There is no indication that it is a replacement panel as the frame and fenders are straight and original. Even the bumper "lips" are original. Now I would ask,... are the bumper "lips" included on the replacement panel (RP)? You would think not if the "RP" was also meant to fit and adapt to all earlier years. But then you would have two extra large holes for the bumper shocks!

The other is in a garage a few miles away. I'll check on it some time this week.
I would ask other '76 owners to come forward and verify their front panel & VIN's to help solve this mystery.

Don

To follow up on the other '76.......#2324 chas #4439003.
Like the previous, it only has the end plugs. Car is straight and unmolested with no signs of replacement or frame damage. The details are as they should be.
I would say this subject is still inconclusive for the '76's. More '76 info is needed with good visual inspections. I do not doubt that this is the last variation. If I come across other '76's, I'll be sure to look.

Don
scotty b
this thread leads me to believe that Michaels 6, was wrecked sometime after 1975 being that it has a no hole, late stamping front end, but was still repaired with factory panels.
barefoot
My 76 #4762900262 has only 2 rubber plugs at ends and no indication of prior body work
Arno914
I have a NOS replacement panel, late version. With holes and lips dry.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I suppose those cut outs where necessary for production (dipping of the bare shells?)

Arno
gms
Early Version

Click to view attachment
davep
Another thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=364628
Imcoz
Need one for my '76 six-racecar! Left front is mangled.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.