Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumpers.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom73
I am new to the 914 (recently got a 71) and am trying to learn about them. Thought I had the bumper situation/history down until I looked at EBay just now.

A '70 914 with the big rubber bumpers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4501424956&rd=1
IPB Image

and a '71 with the bumper block on both ends:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4501415158&rd=1
IPB Image

Now I can understand putting earlier bumpers on to clean up the looks but putting later bumpers on early models wacko.gif sad.gif wacko.gif I just don't follow that.

tom...
Mueller
the green car is a '75 or '76 model....it has the '75/'76 heat exchangers on it and one would have to be pretty silly or stupid to put those instead of the correct and better '74 and earlier exhaust smile.gif

my guess on the red car would be that at one time an owner of the car either liked the black bumpers or found them to be in better shape then what was on the car....one advantage of the '74 bumpers is that some don't like them and will remove and sell them at a decent price
914forme
I did a 74 for a guy that wanted a black on black 914, he had me change the bumpers to 75-76 rubber baby bumpers. did not turn out bad, I don't like them but there are times when they work on a 914 this was one of thoughs times

With a set of GT flares it did not look to bad, thou I could have done with out the funky tail he wanted. Have to dig up a picture if people want to see it.
boxstr
There is a Porsche Factory pic of a 75?? 9146 with factory flares. Car has the big black bumpers. Supposed to be built by the factory for a customer. Really great looking. Maybe someone will post the pic.
CCLINGASFORASS
krk
I thought 76 'cause of the turbo in the background, but it occurs to me I read somewhere that the 930 was marketed a year earlier in europe. Dunno.
redshift
That is a 75 car. I always liked THAT one.

I just really like that the drunks at the factory welded the flares on, so I wouldn't have to.

M
krk
Yeh, I agree. I think the front spoiler works quite well in the look and with it blending into the front flares -- it seems to make a nice frame for the bumper. M, how can you tell it's a 75? (is there something in the pic I should recognize?)

kim.
Bleyseng
In the bible it was listed as a 75 and later on the car was modified to a 916.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.