Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: should i use 20w-50 oil? how much?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joshporsche
just want to know how much oil to put in my 914, what kind and what kind of oil filter.
thanks guys
SLITS
Mahle filter and about 4 quarts. Fill the filter before you fit it (about 2/3 full). A little overfill will not hurt.
smg914
Is anyone aware of a good tool to remove the Mahle oil filter from a 914-4? I can't seem to find anything that will grap the Mahle filter tight enough to unscrew it. Even with the filter hand tight.
SirAndy
10/30 for me here in CA. also used 10/30 for most of the year on my bugs back in germany.
seems to work just fine on the good old T4 ...

wink.gif Andy
dgw
Many years ago Rich Bontempi told me to buy the biggest pair of channel locks I could find. I'd have a dual purpose tool. I did. He was right, I've used them lots of times for other things.
dmenche914
20w-50 oil will work, it is better in hotter areas. In cold areas go with lighter wieght like 10w-40 or single viscocity 30 oil is good unless real cold
thicker oil is also good in worn engine that have less than optimal oil pressure. thicker oil can help a bit.

be aware that multi viscosity oils tend to break down faster than single viscosity oils, and hence need more frequent oil changes. The aircooled engine is a bit harder on oils than water cooled engines, because of higher temps in some locations that the oil is exposed too, this accelerates the breakdown.

The larger the viscosity range on a multi oil, the easier it breaksdown, hence a 25-30 with a 15 range is more resistant to breakdown than a 10-30 oil with a 20 range.

Single oils hence are generally recommended if oil changes are extended in aircooled engines.

If you do not have one, get an oil pressure gage. it will help you in determining which oil is best for the temperature. I in central California weather run either 30 or 40 single wieght, or a 20w-50 wieght if I go multi weight.

always run the black factory mann or mahle brand filters, the orange frams are junk. had too many fall apart internally, your clean oil supply is too important to risk by saving a few bucks on a cheap fram, get real engine protection, go with the correct filter.
kermit
Since your in UT and I'll assume its relatively cool there, run the lowest viscosity oil you can without the engine getting too hot. 10w30 sounds about right. Only if you're doing track days in 90+ heat should you go to 20w50 imho. Remember, lower viscocity = more power.

Yes, Mahle always. You can just go to Kragens can get a oil filter remover, looks like a big funky wrench and its pretty cheap. good luck
nebreitling
QUOTE(kermit @ Nov 4 2004, 09:36 PM)
You can just go to Kragens can get a oil filter remover, looks like a big funky wrench and its pretty cheap. good luck

agree.gif ditto. works great.
Joe Bob
Yeah...big channel locks....Sears also makes a clamp that slips over the filter and turns with a ratchet aund an extension....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.