Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914RS update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Got the fiberglass rear bumper fitted (very roughly). It's going to take a lot of work to be right.

I made some trim panels to go where the door window rear seals would have gone. This car won't have door windows except for the vent windows. In the front of the door, I test fit the window channels after I welded up the channel, sanded the welds and polished with aluminum polish.

I also got the top vinyl installed.

The pictures probably won't be in order of this description, but you can sort 'em out.
Series9
next...
Series9
next...
Jeroen
Ahhhh... refreshing after all the political discussion biggrin.gif

Can you explain the welding up of the window channels some more (or possibly post another pic of it)
Series9
It's the last picture (with all the finger prints in the nicely polished aluminum.

Since I'm not having roll-up windows, I didn't want a useless channel in the window frame. So, I welded it up, ground it smooth, sanded with every grit from 125 to 1500 and polished with aluminum polish.

What you see is how it came out.
Jeroen
Ok, now I see... you're talking about the upright part
Thanks for clearing that up
retrotech
whose fiberglass bumper are you using?

Retro
seanery
I hope it's his or the owner is gonna be pissed! ohmy.gif
siverson
Why no windows?
Series9
It's a GT Racing bumper. I have to say that after seeing some really nice stuff from them, this bumper and the rocker I got are pretty bad. Lots of work needed.

Why no roll-up windows? Because I'm building a car that's a really strange mix of track and street. It's too nice to be a track car, but too purpose-built to have side windows (something like that). I'm not really sure I even know at this point. I had a vision and I've followed it.
retrotech
I just mounted my new Getty front bumper. Absolutely great piece, that I barely had to mess with. Bracket adjustments only. Much stronger construction, than the Performance spoiler.

Retro
Joe ,

great pic of your project. Keep then coming.
Hey I reponded to your email regarding the trans parts and
the email bounced back" email ' full.

Can you respond back regarding the trans parts - yes or no?

Thanks, rolleyes.gif
mudfoot76
Nice font on the '914 RS'! Is that vinyl?
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(914RS @ Nov 4 2004, 09:28 PM)
It's a GT Racing bumper. I have to say that after seeing some really nice stuff from them, this bumper and the rocker I got are pretty bad. Lots of work needed.

Why no roll-up windows? Because I'm building a car that's a really strange mix of track and street. It's too nice to be a track car, but too purpose-built to have side windows (something like that). I'm not really sure I even know at this point. I had a vision and I've followed it.

Stick with your vision man. It took me over three and a half years to see my vision for my 914 brought to life. All the while peple were like, "why would you get rid of perfectly good chrome bumpers and metal deck lids with fiberglass units?" or "You aren't going to repaint in that same puke green color are you?" and "why would you need an oil cooler up front?"

Well, eveyone finally got to check out the car at Phoenix Flight. It would have been worth all the work and sticking to my vision just for my own personal satisfaction but getting to talk to so many great Porsche lovers and 914 fans and having all of them be so interested in the parts of the car that some people tried to talk me out of again and again really made it all worth it.

Hell, Patrick Motorsports said that ever since my car went up on his site that they have received tons of calls from people wanting his fiberglass bumpers painted silver & black like mine... do you know how many times everyone tried to talk me out of doing that?

Also, even my neighbors who are into 'Merican Heavy Metal and who could give a rat's ass about my Boxster have all stopped by anytime I have had the 914 out to talk about it, ask questions about it, and just gape at it.

Stick withyour vision. The 914 purist may not understand but it is your car and you are the person that has to be happy with the results. Sometimes it is really nice to end up with something unique that people still recognize as a 914.

Best of luck and keep posting pics, looks like a cool project.
retrotech
Would you post pics of painted glass bumpers?

Retro
Series9
0396: email me again. it's fixed.

mudfoot76: It's made from three Porsche badges, not vinyl.

Hi Fi Guy: Thanks for the nice comments. Don't worry, it's my vision.

Retrotech: I'll post pics of the FG as they go on the car painted.

Many more pics to come. biggrin.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE(retrotech @ Nov 5 2004, 08:18 AM)

Retro

Here you go...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
tasfalen
That's real nice! (painted bumpers).

What kind of paint did you use? looks like its kinda metallic. Any special prep?

Cheers
Lou W
Joe and F i Fi Guy, Both those cars are gorgeous, you guys are a great inspiration to us whose cars are in the works! keep us updated with pictures. I think the Fiberglass bumpers are the way to go for me:trophy:
ChrisReale
what carpet kit is that? Do you plan on using adhesive spray to attach it?
marks914
QUOTE(Hi_Fi_Guy @ Nov 5 2004, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE(retrotech @ Nov 5 2004, 08:18 AM)

Retro

Here you go...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Are those 15x7s?
thanks
mark 72 914 5.0L

http://community.webshots.com/user/marksurel
chunger
looks like 16's to me
BIGKAT_83
Look like 16/6 on front and back.

The bumpers look super good. They look like chrome in the pictures.

biggrin.gif
Series9
I did the carpet myself. I went to a bulk carpet retailer, found some charcoal loop I liked, cut it out and took it to a local awning manufacturer to be bound in nylon.
djm914-6
Nice looking cars guys.

FYI: Alsa Corp sells a "chrome" paint that will fool many people. Unlike the stuff sold in hardware stores, this stuff really looks like chrome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.