Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signals Light with Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ned911
When I apply the brakes the front turn signals are lighting. Only noticed this after replacing rear calipers but not convinced these are related. Might have been doing this all along and I just didn't notice (only been driving her during the day. I just put a new steering wheel (Momo) on, could that be related?

Rear brake lights are lighting. Checked wiring and bulbs in rear. Any thoughts?
toolguy
This is what I'd try as a first step. .The brake bulb is a double filament bulb. one is brake, the other is tail lite. the following makes sense if what is lighting at the front is the running lite filament.

On both rear lights, pull the blk/ yellow [brake light] wires on both sides. . see if the trouble still occurs. .
If it remains, there is a cross before the light housing.
If it clears, there is a cross in the rear light units themselves. . .

Sometimes the bulb's little bayonet pins dont stop it from turning at the proper place when inserted and the bulbs contact surfaces bridge the double copper contacts in the housing socket. .
Reconnect the Blk/Yel leads and pull both stop bulbs, , if the trouble remains, then there is a cross in the housing itself. If it clears, the cross is when the bulbs are inserted. .
Then insert only one bulb to see which side is causing the problem..
Cupomeat
Usually this is caused by a bad ground.

Because the ground is poor, the current wants to go SOMEWHERE, and when it goes through the bulb, and joins the ground buss, if it can't get to ground it will go back through the other bulbs if there is a path there to ground.

You'll see this on lots of beaters on the road. When they put on thier brakes, the brake light dimly, but the turn signal slowly lights as well.

Clean the grounds and you might have your easy fix.
ned911
That was it. Got one side working but the other side has a different bulb so I'll need a parts store run - which is good cause my low beams are out as well.

The bulb that works is a 21/5 but the manual calls for a 30/3 (Haynes). I'll take the one that is working with me.

Thanks!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.