Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch needs adjustment - drive or tow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbuehling
hi. i drove about 100 miles in my 74 2.0 914 today to get out of the city for the weekend, at some point my gears started to creak when shifting and hard to put in... all gears used to be very smooth and easy, except the reverse sometimes. I assume my clutch just needs adjustment, problem its weekend and I am about 100 miles away from my mechanic, high performance house in redwood city. I meant to bring it in anyways next week but my concern is I ruin my gearbox if I keep driving.

is it fine driving home slow and smooth, pushing the clutch all the way and double clutching, or would you get a tow truck. any suggestions?

thanks a lot.
wndsrfr
Me.....I'd drive it home easy....even if the clutch cable was completely broken. Careful easy but firm pressure at the right engine/road speeds and it'll shift just fine. Question...will it idle at a stop with the clutch in and in gear? If so, you're good to go!
steuspeed
There are two 11mm jam nuts on the clutch cable at the back of the car. If you don't know which cable is the clutch, have somone push the clutch while you watch it move under the car. You will need two wrenches to break them free. Tighten the cable and re-jam the nuts. If the cable is so stretched its at the bottom of the adjustment threads you could add some washers between the trunion (part that goes in the end of the clutch arm) and the two nuts. That should get you home.

You can also adjust the cable from the clutch pedal, but its a bigger PIA and will require more tools and time.
steuspeed
If you have a 17mm wrench, I would remove the nut from the plastic wheel the cable goes around. Inspect the cable and make sure its in good condition. Mine broke a few days ago, and that's where it failed.
cbuehling
Thanks a lot for the replies. It idles fine in gear, once at speed it also shifts ok, its really just first and reverse while standing which are painful.

I think I have the tools, I'll try to check it out tomorrow if I can get underneath.
toadman
QUOTE(cbuehling @ Nov 23 2012, 06:46 PM) *

Thanks a lot for the replies. It idles fine in gear, once at speed it also shifts ok, its really just first and reverse while standing which are painful.

I think I have the tools, I'll try to check it out tomorrow if I can get underneath.

According to Dr. 914's Tech Tips, difficulty going into first and reverse can often be resolved by adjusting the clutch. I had this problem once after a driver's ed weekend and a clutch adjustment was all I needed.
cbuehling
I found a mechanic, had it up in no time and all it indeed needed was the cable tightened. works and shifts like a charm again. thanks for the tips.
Hammy
QUOTE(cbuehling @ Nov 25 2012, 06:01 PM) *

I found a mechanic, had it up in no time and all it indeed needed was the cable tightened. works and shifts like a charm again. thanks for the tips.
Good to hear. smile.gif
If it continues, you probably have a stretching clutch cable. Been there done that. Adjusting the clutch cable only requires sliding under the rear of the car (i'm a little guy) with just a couple wrenches, or hands.
rjames
Buy another cable for when your current one breaks because eventually it will. Cheap and easy to put in and doable on the side of the road.
timothy_nd28
This 100 mile away from home mechanic, charge you an arm and a leg for turning that nut?
Jeffs9146
agree.gif
I carry a set of wrenches for just such an occasion!!

It is a 3 minute job at best!
JawjaPorsche
More like three hours for me! I would NEVER climb under my teener with my factory jack!
headbang.gif
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Nov 26 2012, 05:33 PM) *

agree.gif

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Nov 26 2012, 03:10 PM) *

More like three hours for me! I would NEVER climb under my teener with my factory jack!
headbang.gif

agree.gif

That's what cinder blocks are for: So the car can fall off the blocks instead of the jack.

The Cap'n
TheCabinetmaker
Passenger tires on the curb give you lots of clearance to scoot underneath
JawjaPorsche
I live in the rural south. We always have cinder blocks near by! lol-2.gif

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 26 2012, 06:24 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Nov 26 2012, 03:10 PM) *

headbang.gif

agree.gif

That's what cinder blocks are for: So the car can fall off the blocks instead of the jack.

The Cap'n

Jeffs9146
I am able to reach it without jacking it up but I am a small guy!
Drums66
.....Just adjust as you go(clutch),,,there's alot of scenerio's? idea.gif
bye1.gif(drive it!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.