Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smelly cabin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mclane
Happy thanksgiving all!

I bought my 1973 p914 last march. It's is 99 percent original. Equipped with ac

Now that the weather is nice in az I have had the p914 out and about. Problem is that while i drive, the cabin smells like engine compartment. It permeates everything ie my clothes, the seats, my lunch bag etc. I have to drive with the windows down (as thought that is a bad thing). There is no exhaust. I have had Carbon monoxide in the past, I know the signs.

I would like to heater but is only makes it worse

I have the vent and defrost closed.

Please help
Daniel

toolguy
The only way that the engine fumes can get into the cabin is through the heater tubes. . Old heater control boxes most of the time have deteriorated seals, so even with them pulled close, some air will be blown in by the engine fan. . . you can eliminate most of it by making sure the cables to the control box pull the levers to the full closes position. .
Other possibility is your heat exchangers have become filled with oil and girt over the years. . and your getting baked oil fumes. .
Dave_Darling
You're most likely leaking oil onto the heat exchangers, and it is burning off. That can make its way into the cabin, usually through the warm-air passages, sometimes not. Fix the leaks, and the smell should eventually dissipate.

If the oil has gotten into the hoses inside the longitudinals, it can take a very long while to dissipate, BTW.

--DD
mclane
here are are pictures of the belly of the beast
one side is capped off, with a bottom os a soda can not sure why...
over all the engine is pretty clean
i noticed on the left side, the heater fan sources air from the engine compartment icon8.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
reharvey
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 23 2012, 09:00 PM) *

You're most likely leaking oil onto the heat exchangers, and it is burning off. That can make its way into the cabin, usually through the warm-air passages, sometimes not. Fix the leaks, and the smell should eventually dissipate.

If the oil has gotten into the hoses inside the longitudinals, it can take a very long while to dissipate, BTW.

--DD

agree.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(mclane @ Nov 23 2012, 06:46 PM) *

one side is capped off, with a bottom os a soda can not sure why...
icon8.gif

The factory capped the passenger side as they went to a single outlet blower. They didn't feel the need to feed air to both HEs. The factory cap was a plastic cap on the passenger side "J" tube.

A splitter was made to fit the outlet of the fan to be able to direct air to both HEs.
Sleepin
We all know what your cabin smells like SLITS... :luckyjoe: icon8.gif

sixnotfour
Welcome to the Aircooled World...
Spoke
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 24 2012, 10:15 PM) *

Welcome to the Aircooled World...

agree.gif

and

welcome.png

The air from the heater originates from the engine compartment. The engine always smells like dirty cooked motor oil. That smell gets sucked into the engine fan and the auxiliary boost fan and into the interior.

Don't know how bad the smell is in your car but having an "aroma" of oil in the 914 cabin is not rare.
rhodyguy
there is a visible oil deposit where the head vent hose is leaking. you're missing the tin grommet for the j tube on the dr side. under tin air is leaking inside the engine compartment. ALL penetrations in the tin need to be sealed with the appropriate grommets/seals. my guess is you have some built up up gunk in the cooling air shroud and the rest of the heating duct work. over time the interior of the heat exchangers get coated with the crap. the inside of the he's can be flushed while they're in place but it's pretty messy. when the engine gets hot the off gas fumes are being pumped right into the interior.

clean the interior of the engine compartment, insides of the j tubes, branch ducting, and replace old warm air hoses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.