Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropping an engine with AC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Gents,
I have a '73 with AC installed on it ("factory"). I've dropped an engine before on a non-AC'ed '76, but not sure how this is supposed to work with the AC compressor. confused24.gif

It appears it has some pretty thick lines running to/from it that go to the front of the car (running out the outside of the long on passenger side).

Do these lines have to be disconnected in order to drop the engine? And if so, does that mean "opening" up the AC system and it would have to be recharged or something?

Sorry, this AC thing is throwing me off.

Thanks!
VaccaRabite
Pull the AC first, then drop the engine.

I don't think that compressor will fit for the engine drop - at least it did not on mine.

Zach
CMONNETT
Is the AC even charged? I could give you a hand if you need it. Let me know.
type47
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 23 2012, 07:26 PM) *

Pull the AC first, then drop the engine.

I don't think that compressor will fit for the engine drop - at least it did not on mine.

agree.gif
disconnect the compressor from the mount not the a/c hoses; leave them connected in case there is still freon (or whatever) in the system
VaccaRabite
With mine there was no charge left in the system. Probably had not been for years.

Zach
stateofidleness
Yep, that's one of the few things that still works great on the car smile.gif

Chris, you any good at valve adjustments? I need to do the pushrod tube seals and a valve adjustment, but I've never done one. Would love a knowledgeable person to show me the ropes!
SLITS
Since the A/C still works ... do not disconnect the lines ... try to disconnect the compressor from the engine as stated.

1.) It's illegal to blow the charge to the atmosphere.

2.) If it hasn't been converted, it's R12 which you won't find anywhere anymore.

3.) Once you open up the system, you will have to flush the system to convert to R134A (which is also being outlawed) and change the filter / drier before charging the system again = $$$$
zambezi
either hang the compressor somehow with some wire or place a milkcrate or something under it for it to sit on while the engine is out.
TheCabinetmaker
Engine removal is not necessary for push rod tube seal replacement.
ClayPerrine
To remove the engine with AC:

1: REmove the battery.

2: Unbolt the compressor and set it in the battery tray.

3: drop engine as you would a non AC car.

Simple........
CMONNETT
I've got a spare set of pushrods tube seals if you need them. They're not bad to change out with the engine in the car. Done it several times over the years. Let me know if you need a hand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.