Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 newbie needs help.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kevin3406
hi folks im kevin from south carolina. brand new to the site hoping to meet new friends. ive been a vw nerd and mechanic/chopperupper for all my life {im 46} and ive been bitten by the 914 and all its glory. i drive OTR semi trucks, and the other day i was passed by a club/gang of 914s on the interstate. i was amazed at the beauty and prowess of these little guys and now im on the hunt! but im a tinkerer, and i would like to find myself a fixer upper. i looked on several sites, and there are some great 914s out there for a great price, but those cars are all in pretty good driver condition or better. im searching for a not so nice one that i can get for a budget price and bring back to life in my own style. anyone got any leads on some project cars {not basket cases} please contact me. also, if anyone is running type 1 motors, i would like as much info/pics as possible. i hope i havent committed a sacrilidge by mentioning the type 1 in a 914, but ive never had any luck wsith the type 4s and i think a type 1 motor would be bad axe in a 914. any info or pics would be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading this post and i hope that you 914 lovers accept me into your cyber world.- kevin smith eightnboyy@hotmail.com
tscrihfield
welcome.png bye1.gif

By all means do what you will to make it your own. This is one of the few cars that Ive been around where most everyone is okay with you making your own car out of it. I love the type 1. Just be sure to show us all the progress and feel free to ask questions, this is a great group!

Thomas
bfrymire
QUOTE(kevin3406 @ Nov 23 2012, 07:54 PM) *

hi folks im kevin from south carolina. brand new to the site hoping to meet new friends. ive been a vw nerd and mechanic/chopperupper for all my life {im 46} and ive been bitten by the 914 and all its glory. i drive OTR semi trucks, and the other day i was passed by a club/gang of 914s on the interstate. i was amazed at the beauty and prowess of these little guys and now im on the hunt! but im a tinkerer, and i would like to find myself a fixer upper. i looked on several sites, and there are some great 914s out there for a great price, but those cars are all in pretty good driver condition or better. im searching for a not so nice one that i can get for a budget price and bring back to life in my own style. anyone got any leads on some project cars {not basket cases} please contact me. also, if anyone is running type 1 motors, i would like as much info/pics as possible. i hope i havent committed a sacrilidge by mentioning the type 1 in a 914, but ive never had any luck wsith the type 4s and i think a type 1 motor would be bad axe in a 914. any info or pics would be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading this post and i hope that you 914 lovers accept me into your cyber world.- kevin smith eightnboyy@hotmail.com

welcome.png

I would suggest doing some research. There is a v8 drag car on youtube. And there are a ton of options for power plants. V8, flat 6, subaru, and many others.

Personally, I don't think of the 914 as a drag car, as it handles so well.

I would also suggest getting a ride in one that has been well done, to get an idea of what they are capable of.

just my 2 cents. :-)

-- brett
turk22
Kevin,

welcome.png

I think its safe to say, that no matter what condition you find a 914 in, there will be plenty of tinkering involved. smile.gif

But when you are looking for one, try and find one with as little rust as possilbe... leaves more time and money for other tinkering...

Let us know what you find!

Turk
Mike Bellis
Here's a pic of a T1 in a 914... Go for it... poke.gif

Click to view attachment
JoeSharp
welcome.png Kevin. I too share your afflection of the T1. As you can see there is someone that has committed that sin already. I suspect you will take the time to flip the ring and penion gear and put the motor in the middle of the car. My sandrail is a midengine 2387 T1.
I am affraid that you will be looking for a long time back on the east coast as the car there tend to be a bit rusty.
Good luck.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kevin3406 @ Nov 23 2012, 07:54 PM) *
building 914 drag car.....

The fastest (by far) drag racing 914 i know of is electric. You can't beat 1600 flbs of torque at 0 rpm!
burnout.gif

welcome.png
914Eric
I saw a truck once that used firewood and a steam boiler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.