Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something got me thinking tonight?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914GTSTI
So, first I saw this.

IPB Image

Than I did this.

IPB Image

The front would be easy!alot of work but not hard. chair.gif

But the rear? bootyshake.gif

How much of the rear end of a 914 could be removed? (Sheet metal) I think a tube end frame could be added if it would help? The sale pannels would need to go. Maybe push out the doors and the rear fenders?

How about some input!!! cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
scotty b
914's lines are wrong if you want an accurate replica. IMHO It would be easier to make a ful tub frame and a fiberglass body, stick a 3.0 engine in it, and maybe use some bolts from a 914
914GTSTI
Not to hard to see a 914?

IPB Image
VaccaRabite

Tube frame a 914. Spend a on of money cutting fg body panels and you could make it.

I'd drive it. Will cost a lot to do, but what doesn't these days.
Start with a rusty tub and cut everything. Off but the vin. Go from there. Probably easier that way.
914GTSTI
Its not to far off?

IPB Image
scotty b
someone want to overlay the two pics ? 908 on top of 914, match up the frint wheels
914GTSTI
Ok, we cant move the driver forward but???
And Its not a flat 8.
I need to go to the shop and take a long look at the 914.
914GTSTI
I am not good with resizing! My bad!

IPB Image

914GTSTI
More like this?

IPB Image
sixnotfour
I believ that is the short version hillclimb 908
I think this is the longer
914GTSTI
IPB Image
sixnotfour
90.6 inch wheelbase
914GTSTI
So I pulled some old parts and the parts car to see it a908-3/914 could be built.

IPB Image

Now that is some offset!! av-943.gif

IPB Image

Thats 225/50/15 with 8"x15" up front and 295/50/15 with 12"x15" in the rear.
Rear maybe to wide? chair.gif Track would be 70" front and 80" rear. cheer.gif
914GTSTI
If I wanted to save the rear fenders where would you cut them out at ?

IPB Image

Here is a photo of the 295/50 on a 8"x15" rim with a 2" back space. The first photo was a 12"x15" with a 2" backspace. Thinking a 12"x15" with a 3 1/2" backspace is what I will try?

IPB Image

side by side.

IPB Image

And whats up with all the seam sealer? confused24.gif

IPB Image
FourBlades
Nice project! piratenanner.gif

Ginther windshield.

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

John
Eric_Shea
Someone already did it...
914GTSTI
Thanks Eric! Photos and links would help? And then their were TWO? drooley.gif
Eric_Shea
I can't remember where to find it. Truth be told, I've blocked it out of my mind. Looked like ass to me. wink.gif

Silver POS somewhere here or on Pelican if I recall. icon8.gif
914GTSTI
Thanks,I will go have a look.

Also I will try to not make you barf.gif ! av-943.gif
914GTSTI
This is what I found! agree.gif barf.gif

IPB Image

I will try to do better.

Ductech
God the front end on that one looks miataish icon8.gif
Dave_Darling
I think they may have used Miata sheet metal on the front? It's a LeMons car, so it may very well be a mish-mash of different pieces.

The silver one was more custom. There is a (sort of a) build thread on the Bird board. It's not to my taste, but someone put quite a bit of work into it.

--DD
Eddie914
I like the idea.

This is the one on the Bird Board:

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Nov 26 2012, 09:33 PM) *

This is what I found! agree.gif barf.gif
IPB Image
I will try to do better.

- Ditch the windshield and use a short windscreen.
- Ditch the hideous roll cage and use hoops behind the seats
- Ditch the wings and make the rear end more like in the picture below
- Get a Sheridan nose and be done with it

smash.gif

IPB Image
914GTSTI
I think the sliver one is,ok but. Its' its own look? The front is,to long? And I, could not leave the lights/hood. Pulles to much of the 914's into the look .

The door is the next problem?

Maybe that is the way I need to look at it? It will be its own look. Just more lean to the 908-3.
Ductech
I think the best end result would be I trying to move the driver closer to the front wheels. Too long of a front end ruins it .02
brant
barf....
ugly!

the 914 will never be a 908
buy a fiero and build a lambo

the beauty of the 908 is the driver close to the front axle and the way the body falls down toward the front of the car beginning at the front axle.

neither of those examples capture the important and beautiful traits of the 908
I think a 908 replica would be much better built on a tube frame and incorporating the beauty of the original.

914GTSTI
Has anyone found a source for 908-3 body panels?
scotty b
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Nov 28 2012, 10:14 AM) *

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
brant
I can't imagine there is a source...
there are probably 3 or 4 of those cars in the world, and no production source.
URY914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 28 2012, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Nov 28 2012, 10:14 AM) *

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

I know a shop that has the molds, but you don't have enough money.
914GTSTI
Would still like to know what the front would go for? A wide 914 would be $2200.00. in glass.
brant
Paul what do you think the cost would be from a real mold.

(I'm guessing 10k)
scotty b
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 28 2012, 01:52 PM) *

Paul what do you think the cost would be from a real mold.

(I'm guessing 10k)

agree.gif easily.

Buy a bunch of solid pink insulation board, glue them together and cut it to your desired shape. Cover it with a thin layer of bondo, slick it up, paint it nice and smooth, cover that with mold release, lay down some glass, pull a buck, stiffen that up, pull a mold. Viola, you have a 908 body, easy as pie. wacko.gif
914GTSTI
That maybe the way I will need to go. Was hopeing their was a mold to use out their.

Maybe out of a factory mold ? $10,000?
Have a model in 1/18 scale ,guess I will need to work from that.
URY914
So you think an owner of an orignal factory mold it going to let you borrow it so you can pull your 908/914 wannabe out of it? av-943.gif

$10,000 for the front clip maybe.
914GTSTI
So,this person you know has a "Factory Mold" ? Or a copy of a OEM front clip he made a mold from?

QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 28 2012, 05:40 PM) *

So you think an owner of an orignal factory mold it going to let you borrow it so you can pull your 908/914 wannabe out of it? av-943.gif

$10,000 for the front clip maybe.

Eddie914
How about a long wheel base 908?

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/wings-wheels-ke...10-project.html
914GTSTI
Thanks for the lead. But the 908-3 is it for me.
Randy
Series9
.......or maybe we could stop trying to turn a 914 into another Porsche and just respect it for the PORSCHE IT IS.

So many of these cars have been hacked to pieces trying to make them look like something else. Are you not here because you're a 914 guy?

If you want a 908, then save up and buy one. Leave your poor, increasingly-rare 914 alone....please. smile.gif
914GTSTI
Ok!

But your car is stock?
Series9
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Nov 28 2012, 09:57 PM) *

Ok!

But your car is stock?

Not at all. Everyone knows that I modify the shit out of 914s. However, at the heart of every project I do is a 914, and I don't try to obfuscate its heritage.

In the end, it's obviously your decision to make. I'm merely pointing out that these cars are becoming more rare. As I get older, I find myself less inclined to do something totally radical with a still-viable chassis.

There are certainly some who think I'm screwing up cars that could be returned to totally stock /4 status. We all have our lines. Mechanically, I will only use Porsche/Audi/VW engines and parts. Why? That's just what feels right to me.

And aesthetically, I want my cars to look like 914s so the 911 guys will have no doubt from whom the spanking came. happy11.gif

Have fun with your project. beerchug.gif
Cohibra45
QUOTE(Series9 @ Nov 29 2012, 08:38 AM) *

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Nov 28 2012, 09:57 PM) *

Ok!

But your car is stock?

Not at all. Everyone knows that I modify the shit out of 914s. However, at the heart of every project I do is a 914, and I don't try to obfuscate its heritage.

In the end, it's obviously your decision to make. I'm merely pointing out that these cars are becoming more rare. As I get older, I find myself less inclined to do something totally radical with a still-viable chassis.

There are certainly some who think I'm screwing up cars that could be returned to totally stock /4 status. We all have our lines. Mechanically, I will only use Porsche/Audi/VW engines and parts. Why? That's just what feels right to me.

And aesthetically, I want my cars to look like 914s so the 911 guys will have no doubt from whom the spanking came. happy11.gif

Have fun with your project. beerchug.gif

Joe,

'obfuscate' and 'aesthetically'..........WOW, not only a great wrench, but great command of the English language!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Read a lot as a kid???

Just pulling your leg!!!
jpnovak
I know of a 914 based rebody here in TX. Fairly accurate. I am building the engine for it early next year.

It is not the short 908/3. But the longer 908/2. Like this.

IPB Image

I personally like the 908/3. What a car that must have been to drive in anger. So light. So nimble. So fast.
914GTSTI
Thanks for posting the photo,jpnovak. This makes me want to keep thinking about it.
914GTSTI
I have put the 2 914 back into storage and have goin back to work on my tube/908-3. Thanks for the input on my 914's. Randy

IPB Image

IPB Image
sixnotfour
A 908 with a subaroo engine ??
914GTSTI
Yep. About the same power and a lot cheeper.
carr914
You lost me on that one
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.