Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to start working on my teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914outlaw
A little background. I have a '72 1.7 that I bought two years ago. The previous owner had it in his garage and didn't drive it much. I drove it home and it has sat since then. I'd start it once a week and after running for a couple of minutes smoke would start to come out from under the car and smell like burning oil. I thought that it might be oil on the heat exchanger that came from a leaky valve cover.
Currently it has a dead battery and I haven't started it in over a year. I was wondering if I could get some tips on where to start in getting it back up to good running condition. I am interested in making it into a decent driver.
My plan is to buy a new battery. After that what order I should do things.
I'd appreciate any help.
silver74insocal
1st things 1st, you gotta post pics of her to get these guys interested biggrin.gif its like sharks with blood in the water. after that , its all smooth sailing happy11.gif

welcome.png

914outlaw
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Nov 25 2012, 12:42 AM) *

1st things 1st, you gotta post pics of her to get these guys interested biggrin.gif its like sharks with blood in the water. after that , its all smooth sailing happy11.gif

welcome.png

Ok. I'll post some up later today.
Rand
Sounds like you know how to start it. Jump it if you have to, then drive it hard for a couple hours and get back to us.
billh1963
As the other said, drive it so you know what it needs. Put iin some fresh gas and see how she drives. Some obvious first steps are replace the tunnel fuel lines (if original plastic) and check out the other rubber bits (especially fuel related) on the engine.

Make sure to check the brake fluid level, tire pressures, etc. before you start driving!
76-914
Hopefully your car came with jack stands. I can't imagine any self respecting 914 owner selling his teener w/o them. If not go buy 4 sturdy (wide based) jack stands and a decent floor jack. Now order a set of valve cover gaskets and Viton push rod tube seals and a Hayne's repair manual. Pull valve covers, replace push rod tube seals, set valves, replace valve cover gasket. Replace ALL fuel and Vacuum lines (in the engine bay, beneath the tank and tunnel). Replace injector seals and the rubber elbows if not already done. Buy a fire extinguisher and keep it handy. Inspect plugs, plug wires (ohm out if in doubt), points/condenser, oil and tranny, brake fluid, check timing/dwell, fuel pressure after a quick run. driving.gif
PanelBilly
If you lived in the Pacific Northwest you'd start by picking up some ribs and beer. Throw a party and invite everyone in driving range. No reason you need to jump into this on your own.
SUNAB914
Aw, just get rid of it now, I'll come and get it for you. You'll feel better later.
Cairo94507
I always believe a complete assessment of the condition of the car is the way to start. That means brakes, electrical, fuel, oil leaks and rust. The best way to do that is to get it up on jack stands to inspect it thoroughly. You don't want to put assets into a chassis which is rusted more than you can tackle.

Post a lot of pictures and then start compiling your build/parts list.

Mostly, be organized, have a reasonable budget and stick to it. I never buy parts for my toys on credit nor do I dip into any savings/investments. It seems some people begin this journey without fully appreciating the costs associated and then they get crazy once they start spending money and end up resenting their project and get disillusioned and end up selling the car for 50 cents on the dollar if they are lucky.

Best wishes and have fun.
stugray
You don't want to put assets into a chassis which is rusted more than you can tackle.

agree.gif

I have a 71 in my driveway that i bought running for $1000. It has a collection of very nice parts and looks great.
Got it up on jackstands, and the PO did a HORRIBLE job of repairing the Longs and did nothing to protect everything else after the welding.
The suspension consoles are so rusted, you can crush them with your hand.

So it has been sitting in my driveway for ~3 years waiting for a new tub to fall into my lap.
It looks great but is not even remotely road worthy.

Good luck though! drunk.gif

Stu
ConeDodger
Bleed the brakes and determine that all four are grabbing.

Clean the bottom of the motor and change the oil.

Replace the battery and start it up and run it up to temperature.

Shut it down and find your leaks. Most common are valve covers, oil cooler, oil pressure sender, push rod tubes. Fix your leaks.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.