Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top Sanding Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
As you know the targa top is fiberglass. This winter I would like to sand it down and repaint it. I have gotten some good feedback from 914World members about Line-X.

Since the top is not metal, do I use wood sandpaper instead metal sandpaper? What number should I start with and finish with?

As usual, your response and help is appreciated.
scotty b
if you're going to LINE-X it just use 80 grit. It will cut alot faster, won't clog up and will leave some really good scrtches for the Line-X to grab to.

if you plan to recoat it with something like rattle can gravel guard go with 180, then gravel guard for the texture, then hit it with satin black

If you are simply going to repaint it, just go to an auto paint store and get a piece of red Scotch brite. All you want for paint is some light but complete scuffing

not much difference between wood vs metal sandpaper until you get to 220 grit and up.
JawjaPorsche
Wow! Thank you so much for all the info and options!

You are the best! beer.gif

Terry

QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 25 2012, 09:02 AM) *

if you're going to LINE-X it just use 80 grit. It will cut alot faster, won't clog up and will leave some really good scrtches for the Line-X to grab to.

if you plan to recoat it with something like rattle can gravel guard go with 180, then gravel guard for the texture, then hit it with satin black

If you are simply going to repaint it, just go to an auto paint store and get a piece of red Scotch brite. All you want for paint is some light but complete scuffing

not much difference between wood vs metal sandpaper until you get to 220 grit and up.

turk22
I did mine not long ago:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=195770&hl=

I used an orbital sander with 150 grit paper (wood sanding paper),

I used a green scotch brite pad on some surfaces as well. I wanted to retain the texture on the top. so I used the scotch brite there, if your going with linex, you may not care about retaining the original texture.

Turk
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.