Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Single brown wire and double brown wire with white stripe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
potomacmidget
Hi All,

Attached is a photo of some wires located near the brake fluid reservoir. A while ago I was just cleaning up the area and found these wires loose, not connected anywhere. I can't remember for sure, but I think one of them was hot with the headlights on. Anyone know the purpose of these wires? I have what I think is a very original 1971 1.7L.

thanks
Reg
Steve
Those don't look stock. Based on the location I would guess after market alarm. Can you trace them back?
toolguy
Master brake cylinder
SirAndy
QUOTE(toolguy @ Nov 25 2012, 09:05 AM) *

Master brake cylinder

agree.gif

Looks like the wires for the MC. They're supposed to go down under the tank and out the bottom.
popcorn[1].gif
mrbubblehead
brake pressure warning light. the sensor is normally open
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Nov 25 2012, 12:08 PM) *

brake pressure warning light.

potomacmidget
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 25 2012, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(toolguy @ Nov 25 2012, 09:05 AM) *

Master brake cylinder

agree.gif

Looks like the wires for the MC. They're supposed to go down under the tank and out the bottom.
popcorn[1].gif

Ok - so i pulled the front driver side wheel and peeked inside where the master cylinder is - man, I am naive - I had an idea where it was but had no idea how crammed in there it is - hope I never have to replace that....

Anyway - I found the switch and found the brown/white wire attached to the switch and what appears to be a brown wire that is going to ground ( I am guessing, I have one of those laminated prospero's wire diagrams). So it looks like it is hooked up and there fore I don't know what the other wires are. They are original and would not reach down to the MC anyway, the are not long enough. As I follow them back they are mixed in with the original loom which appears to be unmolested....
Dave_Darling
In a stock 914, solid brown wires are always ground. Always.

I see a couple of brown/white wires in the 71 wiring diagram. The brake warning light uses some of them; one goes to the master cylinder switch, and the other goes to the button under the handbrake handle.

One goes from the steering column switches to the horn, providing the ground path for the horn itself. (Note this is different from the later cars, which use a relay for the horn.)

There is also one that terminates at nothing, and is labeled "Sportomatic (optional)".

Those are the only brown/white wires I see on the diagram. Which doesn't mean that there can't be others, of course...

--DD
potomacmidget
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 25 2012, 08:05 PM) *

In a stock 914, solid brown wires are always ground. Always.

I see a couple of brown/white wires in the 71 wiring diagram. The brake warning light uses some of them; one goes to the master cylinder switch, and the other goes to the button under the handbrake handle.

One goes from the steering column switches to the horn, providing the ground path for the horn itself. (Note this is different from the later cars, which use a relay for the horn.)

There is also one that terminates at nothing, and is labeled "Sportomatic (optional)".

Those are the only brown/white wires I see on the diagram. Which doesn't mean that there can't be others, of course...

--DD

Hi Dave - thanks for the information - I too see the sportomatic option...thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.

Reg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.