Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front end rebuild. Some BTDT advice please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So i am on the final leg of my front end rebuild. Is there a sequence to install. Currently the front drop link sway bars are attached to the control arms. The following needs to be install.

1. Torsion bar end caps
2. Attach strut to the ball joint with the wedge bolt
3. Attach the top 3 hex bolts on the strut

I know its simple but i woud hate to do it 2x and have to knock out that wedge bolt or something

Thanks in advance.

Oh if you know any good threads to install/adjust the torsion bars it would appreciated. Sorry search is not my friend
914Sixer
Ted,
I would attach the strut to the top of the fender. Then put the wedge into the ball joint. Lastly torsion bar end caps. Make sure you index the torsion bar caps when you install them.
913B
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 25 2012, 08:04 PM) *

Ted,
I would attach the strut to the top of the fender. Then put the wedge into the ball joint. Lastly torsion bar end caps. Make sure you index the torsion bar caps when you install them.

Index ?
SLITS
"Indexing" is merely trying to make the torsional force of the torsion bars equal side to side.

With the front end assembled, save for the torsion bar caps, one places a pry bar through the lower control arm. You then apply force in a downward motion to fully extend the strut assembly. The torsion bar cap is then put into place with the adjustment arm as close to the top of the housing as possible. This ensures that the torsional twist of the torsion bar is equal side to side.

That said, the cap can be placed in most any position you choose depending upon how low you want the front end. The idea is to keep them equal side to side as far as position in the housing.
jimkelly
slits - that sure seems like the easy way : )

elephant has a video were the guy sets index with control arm in a vice.
r_towle
If you dont index the t-bar caps wrong the first time, you may never understand what Slits just said..or any one of us.

rich
Gint
The last time I put a suspension back together I totally guessed when indexing the bars. I nailed it the first time.
Eric_Shea
Factory, Haynes and Clymer are all pretty (one sentence) basic. Slits has is right. Speaking of right... make sure the bars are in the proper arms (marked L & R on the ends). wink.gif
913B
Thanks guys for all you support and advice. So basically I pushed the a-arms in the droop position as far as the attached strut would allow and placed the adjustment cap end on with the minimum adjustment thread showing at the 2 o'clock position for the right side and 10 o'clock position for the left. Well I plan on getting an alignment afterwards so hopefully they can level my front end.

Now the front thru body sway bar needs fine tuning to get them installed. mad.gif

Thanks all !!!

beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
You can level your front end before you get an alignment. Simply grab a tape measure and measure at the same place side to side to your fender lip. I always use the center cap as my guide as to where to place the tape.

Turn those adjusters until you get the look you like "then" have the car aligned.
913B
Great suggestion, I will just do that.

Thanks Eric !
euro911
I have plans to rebuild the front end and install an anti-sway bar on the 'BB' as well sometime this winter.

You'll have to come by the shop and show me how it's done, Ted happy11.gif
913B
No problem Mark, the hardest part was pressing the a-arm bushings back on and even that was not so bad with a HF press and a hot pot to warm the bushings up. I was lucky and bought some a-arms with the bushings removed already, so I didnt have to torch them off. Oh grinding the channel to fit the sway bar reinforcement bracket on the interior of the fuel tank opening was fun too, but if you have air tools its not a problem. I had to use my dremel and cut multiple slits. Cleaning is major chore without a blasting cabinet but I made due with a make shift cabinet out of a plastic bin. But yeah anytime you need a hand, just hollllerrr !!!

ok, next time I am in the garage I will snap a few pics, because people like pics, including myself

Ted
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.