Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to Redo Suspension/Steering Rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I want to start replacing worn out rubber in my steering and suspension. Car is jiggly and I assume I'm running on 40 year old bushings, etc. Car leans on turns, shudders on bumps and feels like I am running on rims only.

Where do I start? I am thinking of buying all the related parts and then having a BBQ to have some help and expertise to replace the stuff out.

List:
- Turbo Tie Rod Kit
- Ball joints?
-

Does anyone sell a restoration kit?

Remember now I own a 914 so I'm a CSOB...

jimkelly
front struts, rear shocks, rear springs, all bushings, front tie rods, front ball joints, steering doughnut, etc

add front sway bar if you don't have one.

lower profile tires too maybe.

Chris Pincetich
Start w new suspension bushings, front and rear, like you said. There is now a "OEM rubber" replacement, but lots of folks like the "poly bronze" bushings. I scored during a sale and went gonzo on roller bearings. Less friction at the pivot means better suspension reactions and a smoother ride. BUT the more "solid" the bushing the more vibrations may be absorbed by the driver, vs. the suspension beerchug.gif

With the car parked, in gear, on flat ground, grab a wheel and tug/shake vigorously so the whole car rocks back and forth. Hear anything? Front wheel bearing get loose and are easy to tighten/replace.

I did the full suspension rebuild 3 years ago. The bushing made the biggest difference, followed by shock upgrade to Koni yellows. Ball joints and tie rods were worn, but replacement made very little impact as far as I could feel. But, go for it!
driving.gif
beerchug.gif
jcb29
Depending on the condition, good idea to replace as much as you can afford. For a daily driver I replaced front and rear rubber bushings with items from Elephant Racing. Their installation tools and instructions make it very easy for the DIYer.

Check out this link:
Elephant Racing
Eric_Shea
80:20 Rule - If 80% of your driving is on the street, use these:

IPB Image

If 80% of your driving is on the track... use these:

IPB Image

wink.gif
7TPorsh
Huge price range on these black bushings.

Just a hot street car so don't need hi-tech stuff.

See them from $40 to $200+ with the tool. I can't see me doing this myself.
914_teener
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Nov 27 2012, 02:39 PM) *

Huge price range on these black bushings.

Just a hot street car so don't need hi-tech stuff.

See them from $40 to $200+ with the tool. I can't see me doing this myself.

Send a PM to Bruce Stone....he may have a set already put together.

Not that hard to do yourself.......these cars are a learning experience......learn by doing. smash.gif sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.