Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If we can't talk politics, let's talk NASCAR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bryanc
Seriously, is anyone going to be at the race in Phoenix this weekend? I'll be wearing my 914 club hat. givemebeer.gif
Joe Bob
Sorry...can't get there if'n I has to do only left turns.... biggrin.gif
redshift
Anything I say in reply here will be misconstrued by the uninitiated, laughed at heartily by those who have some knowledge of me, and still illegal in South Carolina.

M
Joe Bob
It's 2:30 am...go to bed with some farm animal why don't ya?
GaroldShaffer
I'm not a real NASCAR fan, I do watch a race from time to time, but I do love to watch when they run on a road course. Most of them do fine until they have to turn right laugh.gif

Now Indy or CART racing driving.gif mueba.gif
URY914
It sucks when I hear on the news who won a race, and I've never heard of the kid.
Then they show his picture and he looks like the kid that just delivered my pizza.

Ryan, Jason, etc... <_<

Paul
Root_Werks
Funny someone should bring this up. They want to build a Nascar track some 6 miles from my house. Fucking bastards. Why don't they select some place that doesn't have 20000+ residents within a 10 mile radius? mad.gif Racing rocks, any kind rocks, but not when it is next to schools, homes and playgrounds. We have other tracks in WA that are at least not dumped in the middle of a residential area. Friggen ICS, what a bunch of pricks. It's all about the money. OH! Yeah, they are going to put in 50mil to help build the track. Big friggen woopeedoo. The tax payers will have to cough up (Bend over) the other 250mil for the track and another 300mil for road improvements etc.

Nascar can go to hell as far as I am concerned these days. bs.gif
dflesburg
I don't like Nascar but I sure would love the chance to take one of my cars out and run some laps at Indy or Daytona.
URY914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 5 2004, 06:57 AM)
Funny someone should bring this up. They want to build a Nascar track some 6 miles from my house. Fucking bastards. Why don't they select some place that doesn't have 20000+ residents within a 10 mile radius? mad.gif Racing rocks, any kind rocks, but not when it is next to schools, homes and playgrounds. We have other tracks in WA that are at least not dumped in the middle of a residential area. Friggen ICS, what a bunch of pricks. It's all about the money. OH! Yeah, they are going to put in 50mil to help build the track. Big friggen woopeedoo. The tax payers will have to cough up (Bend over) the other 250mil for the track and another 300mil for road improvements etc.

Nascar can go to hell as far as I am concerned these days. bs.gif

Dan,
We've seem to have hit a nerve here with you.

Have beer. beer.gif

Paul
Root_Werks
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 5 2004, 07:14 AM)
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 5 2004, 06:57 AM)
Funny someone should bring this up.  They want to build a Nascar track some 6 miles from my house.  Fucking bastards.  Why don't they select some place that doesn't have 20000+ residents within a 10 mile radius?  :angry: Racing rocks, any kind rocks, but not when it is next to schools, homes and playgrounds.  We have other tracks in WA that are at least not dumped in the middle of a residential area.  Friggen ICS, what a bunch of pricks.  It's all about the money.  OH!  Yeah, they are going to put in 50mil to help build the track.  Big friggen woopeedoo.  The tax payers will have to cough up (Bend over) the other 250mil for the track and another 300mil for road improvements etc.

Nascar can go to hell as far as I am concerned these days.  :bullshit:

Dan,
We've seem to have hit a nerve here with you.

Have beer. beer.gif

Paul

laugh.gif beerchug.gif Yeah, it's all good. We will live.

It is just the typical large corp coming in and getting what they want. Just my little town - I actually live in Marysville, not Seattle - isn't a little quiet town anymore. oh well.

Yeah, I think I will go take a break and have a beer. Wonder if my boss would mind? beer.gif
URY914
Tell your boss all NASCAR fans drink beer at work. beerchug.gif

Paul
SLITS
It's to political to discuss intelligently, delete the thread.
914werke
NASCAR BLOWS!
In my view (aside from the inability to turn R. biggrin.gif ) If you can pass someone without putting them in to the wall or on the apron AGAIN AND AGAIN AGAIN.. Thats not racing thats bumber cars.
Incidental contact I understand but week in and week of in NASCAR, BUSH, CRAFTSMAN ect ...Ill pass.
Ya wanna watch exciting RACING, Ive said it befor watch Bikes, AMA, WSB, MotoGP, you wont be disapointed.
Dan Im feeling for you man, Not only is Marysville a poor place to put a track, but it's a Friggin Supper speedway! Why not a road course? Oh I forgot we already have a road course in a rural area. Boy I guess it would make too much sense to buy, or Lease that venue and improve it wacko.gif
Martin Baker
How I would change NASCAR...

1. Sprint races only, 10-20 laps max....

2. A jam car that runs in the opposite direction.....

NOW THAT WOULD BE ENTERTAINMENT!!!
SLITS
OK, you take a 3700 lb car, make it go 210 mph and hold onto to it, whether it be turning left or on a road course.

Motor bikes

SUCK

Root_Werks
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Nov 5 2004, 08:52 AM)

lol2.gif I like the Jam car idea! I would go to watch that race! laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
Ya Jam car Sure. I bet all the car owners would love that one. I bet they would really be inclined to sink tons of money into a high performance machine so it WILL get wrecked every week.

At least with NASCAR you get to see your team every week and never subject to blackouts.

Oh yea "Go Lowes team"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If my car wasn't yellow I would paint it blue. Hey the grey project orinally was white so that one is fair game.
914werke
Slits you should really cut back on on huffing your own exhaust smoke.gif w00t.gif
Try sitting atop a sub-400lb Bike and doing 210Mph then turn
RIGHT AND LEFT !
STOCK CARS THAT ARENT STOCK BLOW CHUNKS chair.gif
soloracer
As someone else once said " If I wanted to watch something go around in circles for 3 hours I would tie a sock to my dogs tail" biggrin.gif

One of the guys in the office is a Nascar fan and he has convinced me that it would be a blast to get 5 guys together, fly to California, rent a Winnebago, get infield tickets to Calfornia Speedway and spend the 3 days partying in the infield. If we got 5 guys together it would only cost us about $1500 Canadian ($1200 US) per person. Not too bad for a getaway.
soloracer
Who can come up with the best breakdown of the NASCAR acronym (ie: FORD Found On Road Dead, FIAT Fix It Again Tony, CHEV Canadian Hutterite Escape Vehicle, DODGE Do Or Die Goes Everywhere) There must be some talented people who can come up with something. Here's my first attempt:

Nephew And Stupid Cousin Are Remarried
bryanc
Uh-oh, I really didn't mean to start another pointless debate.

I'm not much of a Neck-CAR fan, but my brother likes it and comes to Phoenix to see the race.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(soloracer @ Nov 5 2004, 09:40 AM)

Nephew And Stupid Cousin Are Remarried

chairfall.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 5 2004, 10:28 AM)
Slits you should really cut back on on huffing your own exhaust  :toke: w00t.gif
Try sitting atop a sub-400lb Bike and doing 210Mph then turn
RIGHT AND LEFT !
STOCK CARS THAT ARENT STOCK BLOW CHUNKS   chair.gif

Swamp-Buggy Racing is the real thing

don't really care - did my thing long ago - SCCA, CANAM, etc - all racing is ok with me - to say one is better than the other is foolish - they all have their merits - I'm out - this is to political.
bondo
How do you lose a NASCAR guy?

Turn right!

Seriously though, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the best racing ever... RALLY! The cars are real cars.. souped up versions of cars anyone can buy (well, in europe anyways) and they FLY! How cool is that? These guys put on a rally school a couple times a year... soooo much fun! (bring a spare air cleaner for the drive home)
IronHillRestorations
I've tried to like NASCAR, and upon occasion have watched a few of the races for about two laps.

The biggest gripe I've got about NASCAR is the way it makes the rednecks around here drive. It's not as bad in a 914 or the Boxster cause most of them don't know what they are, but when I had a black '91 911 every BillyBob and FrankieLynn that was hitting on more than three cylinders HAD to try and pass you.

And the damn tailgating around here is ridiculous (sp), these Bubbas and Earls drive around like they are trying to get back on the lead lap, and you're in their way, regardless if they are actually going to get somwhere more than 15 seconds faster or not.

Line of six cars ahead of you on a hilly two lane road with Gramps (in his '72 GMC pickup) playing Grand Marshall leading the parade, and no reason to even try to pass, and here comes JoeTom, who's been on your ass so close cause he thinks he's in the draft on the back straight at Talladega, in his Silverado blowing smoke like a damn diesel, with a #3 sticker on the back window, passing you (in a car that does 0-60 in 6 sec) so he can get, one car up on the pack, only to put on the brakes a half mile down the road so he can turn off.

I HATE NASCAR!!
redshift
I'll watch NASCAR when they make flat fig-8 tracks.

-popcorn-

M
Bleyseng
Now that would be cool! maybe some awesome wrecks every weekend.

Nacar sucks..never watch it

I would rather watch Miles blow chunks.....

Geoff
Elliot_Cannon
Nascar has more fan attendance than any other sporting event in this country. Who are these people? The same folks who re-elected fratboy. Uh Oh another politics thread. Sorry.
Cheers, Elliot
redshift
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 5 2004, 11:54 PM)
Now that would be cool! maybe some awesome wrecks every weekend.

Nacar sucks..never watch it

I would rather watch Miles blow chunks.....

Geoff

Dood, if I only had a webcam.

M
Lou W
I guess it's time to come clean, I'm a die hard NASCAR Fan, actually I like all types of racing, however, I've been a NASCAR fan now for about 15 years. And yes, I just got back from Phoenix Internatioanl Raceway. I got there Thursday am, watched the Busch Qualifying and the Western Regional Race (Good Race), and Friday we watched the Nextel Cup Qualifing along with the Craftsman truck race (Great race). Then we hung out for Trackside on the Speed Channel. It was all great. Unbelivable amount of people, there had to have been at least 5,000 motorhomes set up, this is a five day event. they had trams running back and forth all day, we parked about a mile and a half away. Sunday will be even more people. I think the track holds about 120,000 people in the stands. It is definatly something worth seeing at least once in person, it's so much better than on tv. smile.gif
Lou W
Seriously, is anyone going to be at the race in Phoenix this weekend? I'll be wearing my 914 club hat.  

--------------------
--bryan
I didn't see anyone there with the 914 hat, but maybe you saw me, I had the Kevin Harvick hat on Friday and the Dennis Setzer hat on Thursday. biggrin.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 5 2004, 09:52 PM)
Nascar has more fan attendance than any other sporting event in this country. Who are these people? The same folks who re-elected fratboy. Uh Oh another politics thread. Sorry.
Cheers, Elliot

The same people that watch WWF wrestling! It originally started out meaningful, but the sponsorship has ruined it. I'll still watch Sonoma or Watkin's Glen, but I can't for the life of me get into oval track racing (okay, they do have some BA wrecks happy11.gif ) Now RALLY! Those guys are drivers!!
914werke
agree.gif
Rallying is Seriously cool. aktion035.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Nov 5 2004, 08:52 AM)

AFIK, NASCAR still runs figure 8s at their track in Watsonville. Pretty much the same thing as a whole field of jam cars ............ The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
I've been to only one NASCAR race myownself (other than the figure 8s!). Dan Gurney and Parnelli Jones showed them good ol' boys the way to get around Riverside, I'll tell you ..................... Those were the days when drivers ran anywhere, anytime, in anything. Gurney, Jones, Foyt, Andretti, et. al., running NASCAR, Can AM, USAC, whatever, and they were GOOD ..... The Cap'n
hargray2
Not
A
Sport
-
Crappy
And
Ridiculous
Lou W
[QUOTE]Cap'n Krusty Posted on Nov 6 2004, 11:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been to only one NASCAR race myownself (other than the figure 8s!). Dan Gurney and Parnelli Jones showed them good ol' boys the way to get around Riverside, I'll tell you ..................... Those were the days when drivers ran anywhere, anytime, in anything. Gurney, Jones, Foyt, Andretti, et. al., running NASCAR, Can AM, USAC, whatever, and they were GOOD ..... The Cap'n [QUOTE] Good stuff, liked a lot of the old drivers. I've been to a Figure 8 race once, never heard or seen one that's been sanctioned by NASCAR, I think that's a local track thing, Ascot Raceway, etc.
[QUOTE]Posted on Nov 6 2004, 11:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not
A
Sport
-
Crappy
And
Ridiculous [/QUOTE]WTF? wacko.gif You're sounding like the Wine And Cheese Crowd, 914's not a true Porsche, Blah Blah Blah
Jake Raby
I'm not a fan of the tracks they drive on, or the way they do the driving, BUT..........

I have many friends in the NASCAR circuit and I have employed alot of their tricks that it takes to make a V8 turn 9,000+ RPM for 500 miles into my R&D for the TIV. They normally won't share tricks, but my buddies know I care nothing about building a V8, so they tell me and show me what they can!

These engines are amazing, and they way they are built is even more amazing. The engines, even though they have radiators- have my respect. hell any engine that gets 7 POUNDS of Aluminum removed from it's cylinder heads from porting has my respect!!!!

In 2005, I'm using even more NASCAR tricks in a few of my engines, especially valvetrain components! Living in the NASCAR belt has it's positives, thats for sure. The Type IV engine sure has and will benefit!

hell, even my balance machine was originally built for a NASCAR team.....
hargray2
QUOTE(Lou W @ Nov 6 2004, 11:58 AM)
WTF? wacko.gif You're sounding like the Wine And Cheese Crowd, 914's not a true Porsche, Blah Blah Blah

Wine and cheese? confused24.gif Someone asked to come up with an acronym for NASCAR
and that's what popped into my brain. I love my PORSCHE 914, what does that have to do with NASCAR? I hate wine. Give me Bud light and cheese. givemebeer.gif aktion035.gif
hargray2
I don't want to knock the technology that comes from NASCAR. I know the entire automotive industry benefits from it. --->I<--- just don't like NASCAR. If and when I watch a race, it is usually motorcycles or formula1. Lots of cutting edge stuff coming
from them as well.

Watching a NASCAR race is sorta like chinese water torture. Drip......Drip.....Drip....
Left.......Left.........Left.........
Joe Ricard
Well there you have it. Type IV engine will benefit from NASCAR technology. Good enough for me. How ever now that I Autocross on Sundays I am either racing it or fixing it.

Then there is the "honey - do list" I am building a brick mail box. Let them little bastards hit it now.
Hawktel
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 6 2004, 04:41 PM)
Then there is the "honey - do list" I am building a brick mail box. Let them little bastards hit it now.

Ohh finally something I can comment on.

Don't just build a Brick mailbox, If your person is smart, you can just drive by the mail box doing about 70, and a 5-10 pounds of sand in a Pillow case will knock all your work down.

Run rebar down the brick, and Put a peice of 5 inch iron pipe thats 8 foot long with 5 feet in the ground. Fill that will Concrete also, and you shouldn't have anymore trouble. smash.gif
redshift
and tape the door shut, with a cat in there.

You need an alarm.

-nosig-
Brad Roberts
I'm not a fan of NASCAR racing but I have spent a lot of time working around/on the cars and time spent in the garage area's. It is BIG business and they have more technology than we will EVER give them credit for.

B
cooltimes
NASCAR is American as apple pie and when you rant all you are doing is putting down another American.
Do I watch NASCAR? No, because it is just like looking at a thread on here, you don't have to look if you don't get your tricks off there.
You can flame me like you do everything else but I won't see it. LOL
A Great 914 site doesn't need hate to be seen.
Just my opinion.
914forme
Okay guys I watch two races a year - when they run the road circuits!

But I know how to make this thing fun again.

Okay we let them run unlimited make all the HP they can. But here is the catch no more super size spoilers, they can keep the roof flaps to keep them on the ground. So you can run 250 MPH down the front straight, but you gotta have the balls to make the turn at the end of the straight! At that point it is going to be a fun race. Thrashing and bumping would be nice. Oh and while we are at it why not give them rain slicks so they don't have to stop for some rain drops.

But I am happy to say I like the fact that they are here and running and successful, because their parts become some of our parts, and their technology is available to us as well. And they help support my friends, who work for Nascar's charity organization.

Oh I forgot the best part I have gotten to work on some of the fastest golf carts in the world. I have a buddy that builds custom carts for the Nascar boys. It is great fun, and they are just as competitive with the the carts as they are with their race cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.