Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning white crap off new rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I have a brand new OEM targa seal that has been sitting in a bag for a couple of years. It's got this whitish layer on it. It doesn't really come off that well. What can I use to safely remove it without harming the rubber?
jstill
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 27 2012, 02:50 PM) *

I have a brand new OEM targa seal that has been sitting in a bag for a couple of years. It's got this whitish layer on it. It doesn't really come off that well. What can I use to safely remove it without harming the rubber?

Most likley it is mold release powder which should be inert. I bet a few wipes with tire bleaching stuff will remove it. Course that stuff eats a little rubber every time but the strip shouldn't see much daylight so I don't see the harm.

Best of luck. js
nathansnathan
I bet if you rubbed it with glycerin, it would clean it off and be good for the seal, too. VW service manual says to use glycerin to rejuvenated the rubber.-that's what I would try.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Nov 27 2012, 12:54 PM) *
I bet if you rubbed it with glycerin, it would clean it off and be good for the seal, too. VW service manual says to use glycerin to rejuvenated the rubber.-that's what I would try.

agree.gif
tod914
I've used Wurth Citrus Degreaser and Griots Rubber Prep in the past, with very good success.
Krieger
Thanks guys. I'll try the glycerine
tod914
Andy let me know how that works out for you. I haven't tried that yet.
JawjaPorsche
Excuse my ignorance but where do you get glycerine?

There are not stupid questions but only stupid people!
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Nov 28 2012, 02:48 PM) *

Excuse my ignorance but where do you get glycerine?

There are not stupid questions but only stupid people!

I believe most any local drug store sells it. And most grocery stores.
Gint
I had to search the last time I went looking for it. Found it at a Walgreen's finally.
IronHillRestorations
Silicone spray does pretty good too
Krieger
I bought the glycerine at Rite Aid for $6. The store manager new right where to find it, but had no idea what it was for. I told him I didn't either, but that I was using it on the rubbers for my Porsche. The look on his face...anyway mixed results. The seal I am using it on is the long u shaped piece that goes up both A pillars and across the top where the front of the roof sits on. The seal is one of the most recent OEM production. The pieces that travel up the A pillar are of a different type of rubber than the piece that goes across the top. This center section is very much like the rubber for the window scrapers. The glycerine did a great job on that piece across the top. For the parts going up the A pillars it did just okay. So what to do now...
Dasnowman
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 28 2012, 08:08 PM) *

+1 works great on helping slide them in place and keep them conditioned from drying out!
rwilner
I use aerospace 303 protectant on all my rubber trim, for the 914 and now my 911. I am very happy with it. It made my bumper tops look great.

Mikey914
I use Aerospace 303 when I clean these before I ship. It works fine and adds a sacrificial coating to the rubber.
ConeDodger
Y'all are failing to point out to the OP that if there is 'white crap' on it, it's not a new rubber. blink.gif av-943.gif
Krieger
It was new when I purchased it two years ago then let it sit in its OEM bag and rot biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Allways best to clean off before installation.
By the way, I bet you didn't know that many rubbers are cured with SALT.
biggrin.gif
While part of the process is washing, there allways seems to be some residue.
-Mark
Krieger
Salt on my rubber w00t.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 28 2012, 11:08 PM) *

You're correct, silicone spray is good.....for anything that doesn't get near paint!

I use it on the window cranks of my sunroom, but learned many years ago NOT to let it anywhere near painted surfaces. The ions of silicaone will seep through any layers of paint. OK, unless you need to respray a panel down the road - sinks in & stays there. Ask me how I know.
scotty b
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 29 2012, 02:09 PM) *

Y'all are failing to point out to the OP that if there is 'white crap' on it, it's not a new rubber. blink.gif av-943.gif

icon8.gif icon8.gif barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.