Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barb11288
Hi all,

I ordered some parts online for a 1.7 engine and to my surprise the parts I ordered didn't fit. I am not wondering if I really do have a 1.7 or not. I'm trying to look for the engine number, but have been unsuccessful in finding it. I have seen some pictures online as to where to look, but i don't know if I'm looking for a plate, the number engraved, or some sticker. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
914werke
More detail !!!!!
luskesq
Some are stamped on the case towards the rear of the engine next to the crankcase split (right side) and others are stamped around the the area of where you put your oil in (closer to the firewall side). Others may chime in with pics. I have a 1.7 that I had a difficult time finding because ground wires were in the way and it was a bit greasy. Good luck,

Keith
wingnut86
Search the threads here on our site. I have been part of previous discussions on this, but can't locate the source I quoted originally.

Front of the block, below the oil breather chimney, there is a slanted surface that "may" have a model number. If not, check the left case half as you are facing the fan (front), as you look along the joint between the 2 halves, almost at the back of the left side case where the left half goes vertical. At the base of the casting on the back there is a slanted area of cast that is flat and may have a number.

If neither area is stamped, then you have what is commonly known as an OEM replacement case that was a direct replacement for the engine block if it was beyond repair. The dealer mechanic was supposed to stamp or scribe the replacement case with details related to the previous case - many did not...

If you have a numbered or stamped surface or images of these 2 locations, then we can help you, if not then it may be a 2.0 or Bus case (maybe).

Dave_Darling
From the Tunacan Type IV site:

IPB Image

Though some are actually on a boss further left of the left one in the picture.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(barb11288 @ Nov 27 2012, 08:03 PM) *

Hi all,

I ordered some parts online for a 1.7 engine and to my surprise the parts I ordered didn't fit. I am not wondering if I really do have a 1.7 or not. I'm trying to look for the engine number, but have been unsuccessful in finding it. I have seen some pictures online as to where to look, but i don't know if I'm looking for a plate, the number engraved, or some sticker. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

It might make for better answers if you were to accurately describe the parts you ordered and exactly how they didn't fit.

The Cap'n
Shindog1961
Go to the 914 info at the upper right corner of 914world. If you have the engine # it will tell you if its a 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0.
montoya 73 2.0
My 1973 Owners manual in my blog...click here

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.