Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tube chassis or 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914GTSTI
Been thinking about building a 908-3 wannabe. Have a 914 chassis that could be used. Power will be 1995 JDM Sti and will use its tran's with a adaptor for FWD.
Is their a reason for not using the 914 front suspension? Anybe update to a 911sc?
What about the rear? Tube front? Tube rear? All tube?
Thanks for the help!
URY914
Go 100% tube frame and don't use 40 year old 914 parts. Get a wrecked Boxster and use the bits off of it.

It should only take you 2-5 years, Have fun. Post plenty of pics. biggrin.gif
914GTSTI
Naa, it does't not take that long!

IPB Image
Andyrew
Nah just build your own suspension and go tube. Start with a Middy chassis design from the lowcost7 forums and modify it to fit.

914GTSTI
What about the 914/911 front end? Here is a A frame system I built but??? Maybe using something from Porsche would be better?

IPB Image
GeorgeRud
Nothing special about the Porsche front suspension - an A arm setup should work fine. The Porsche struts are nice as it allows trunk room and is simple, but I'm sure all modern race cars use A arms whenever allowed.
bulitt
ask member "byndbad"
914GTSTI
What about the title and Inc? Is that a good reason? Their must be a reason.
jd74914
I'm in the "It's so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up " camp regarding tube frames. laugh.gif

All tube is probably easier as you don't need to worry about dealing with old metal and really can have everything exactly where you want it. The only catch is that you really should do some rough suspension calculations (camber gain, etc) before you put a custom suspension (or OEM suspension) from some other vehicle on to make sure nothing really weird is going to happen. You can even do this using cardboard and tacks.

Note: I might be biased since I've worked on way too many FSAE cars...
bulitt
Tube Frame
osvolant
Take a look at the Factory Five 818 car. Tube frame/fiberglass body designed to be used with Subaru WRX running gear. At least it'll give you some ideas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.