Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 California 1.8 Vapor can location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Good morning all, I have a '74 1.8 California emissions 914 and the fuel vapor canister was mounted in the engine compartment on the latch bulkhead to the right of the latch. I took it off to work on the engine, a few years and a few address changes later and it with the mounting hardware are history. I have a replacement for it now but I have only seen 914's with the canister mounted in the front trunk with the exception of a few late 75-76 models. Whats up with mine? Just curious. And yes it is a real California emissions car the sticker is still in the windshield and I got it from the original owner.
RFoulds
I have had 3 74 1.8 's and in each the canister was exactly where you described in engine bay.
JawjaPorsche
I have a 73 and the canister is above the gas tank but I think the canisters were moved to the engine bay starting in 74. I may be wrong which will not be the first time!
QUOTE(914340 @ Nov 29 2012, 09:12 AM) *

Good morning all, I have a '74 1.8 California emissions 914 and the fuel vapor canister was mounted in the engine compartment on the latch bulkhead to the right of the latch. I took it off to work on the engine, a few years and a few address changes later and it with the mounting hardware are history. I have a replacement for it now but I have only seen 914's with the canister mounted in the front trunk with the exception of a few late 75-76 models. Whats up with mine? Just curious. And yes it is a real California emissions car the sticker is still in the windshield and I got it from the original owner.

Anyone got any pics of the installation?
Dave_Darling
The early 74s had the canister up on top of the fuel tank, just like the 70-73s. Some time in 74, they moved the canister to the engine bay, like in the 75-76 cars.

Sorry, no pics.

--DD
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 29 2012, 06:01 PM) *

The early 74s had the canister up on top of the fuel tank, just like the 70-73s. Some time in 74, they moved the canister to the engine bay, like in the 75-76 cars.

Sorry, no pics.

--DD
Thanks guy's for the feed back. My car has an April '74 build date so that explains why it's in the back versus the front location I have seen on some other 74's.
ClayPerrine
Betty's 74 had the charcoal canister mounted at the right rear of the engine compartment, on the back trunk wall. Some of the 74 models had it mounted to the battery hold down bolt. I moved her's there so I could move the ECU away from the AC compressor after the clutch sawed through the wiring harness.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.