Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FiberGlass hood & trunk lids
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
What is the weight savings on these f/g pieces over stock pieces, anyone know (approx) ?

Doug C
Eric_Shea
I shipped both hoods to PR recently. The raw total before shipping crate was 76lbs. My glass hoods weigh in at 5-7lbs I believe. Not a great answer but it is a significant savings.

Ask Paul aka: Lighter = faster
URY914
You rang???

A front street f/g hood is more in the 15 pound range. Race hood with no inside supports, about 11 pounds.

Rear street is about 10, 8 for a race.

Take about 1/3 off of these numbers for carbon fiber.

Don't hold me to these numbers, these are just general ball park weights.
DougC
Hey Eric, I assume that's 7lbs each as opposed to 76lbs for the pair of stock hoods...either way that's a significant weight difference. Who's fiberglass did you use, were you happy with it's fit and finish? TIA.

Doug C
Root_Werks
I wanted my next project to be glass F/R lids. My 914-6 weighs in at almost 2275lbs! Seems sort of heavy to me. Already got the glass flares and bumpers/rockers. idea.gif
Eric_Shea
I got a pair of excellent hoods from Mark Bartosh. I haven't been able to get in touch with Mark since. He used to advertise in Pano. Really excellent glass. I used his parts on my RS conversion as well. 909 area code.

I'll defer to Mr. Ury on the actual weight. All I know is I can lift them with my pinky finger without strain. I'm sure the leverage of the hinge helps but they feel way lighter than 15lbs. I was going off of old memory in an old body. Too much smoke.gif in the past probably doesn't help.

w00t.gif
retrotech
I am installing Getty bumpers, hood & trunk. The hood & trunk weigh together a little less than 24 lbs. The quality & fit of the front bumper is excellent. I will be fitting the rest this week.

Retro
Eric_Shea
I did a search trying to find Mark Bartosh again and came up with a distant referrence to Getty. I think he may have worked there at one time and had contacts on the glass. They looked similar (black gel-coat), and again, the fit was fantastic. Does anyone know Mark and or what happened to him? I think Getty is the place for really good fitting glass (I know...oxymoron)
DougC
OK, I'll check out Getty. Thnks!

Doug C
DougC
Anybody got a Getty link?

Doug C
eeyore
Here?

http://www.gettydesign.com
retrotech
The very helpful guy at Getty was named Mark. Probably the same guy. He said his son had a 914. He suggested the slightly heavier lay up for better paint finish. He was great to work with, received parts on time, packed well, and the fit is fantastic!
I don't see how you could do better, with anyone else.

Retro
GaroldShaffer
So for a car that is a street car and also is used for Axing and some day track events, is it worth it? My car is a stock body 1970 with 2.0. I have no plans for flares and the interior will remain stock, might add a 5 point harness sometime. confused24.gif
ottox914
Check the rule book for the group you run the most with first, and see if glass lids are allowed. Bummer to spend the bucks and get bumped to a prepared or mod class. I do tech for our little club, and see something similar at every event. A cold air kit in stock, you get the idea.
GaroldShaffer
I already run in CSP so I don't think it would matter, but i will check the rules.
seanery
CSP = C class Stock Prepared?

if so, I bet glass is a no-no
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Nov 5 2004, 10:45 AM)
CSP = C class Stock Prepared?

if so, I bet glass is a no-no

i also run CSP (c-street prepared IIRC)
im at 17 pints (7-19 barely in this category)
decklids of f/g are like 7 points
GaroldShaffer
The only reason why I am CSP is because my not so stock 2.0L. Just wondering if Fiberglass is agood idea or not for a street car? When the time comes for the body work I will need a new rear trunk lid, mine is bent and has a twist to it.

sorry for the thread hijack beer.gif
seanery
my buddy had a ton of fiberglass on his iroc clone. I guess it all depends on you and the car. For a car that's not a daily driver I don't see a big problem, corvettes are fiberglass.
Mueller
stock steel front hood with latch= 31lbs (I measured it)

so if the average 'glass hood weighs in at 15 pounds, you are looking at $31 per pound in weight savings....for a carbon hood it would be approx. $33 per pound in weight savings...how important is it to you to loose some weight???

this is going with the Getty prices of $500 for 'glass and $700 for CF, no idea how much they weigh (like it would kill them to list the weights, not very bright in my opinion to omit something as critical as the weights of thier products.."Lightweight" is pretty damn vague smile.gif )
J P Stein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 5 2004, 01:25 PM)

so if the average 'glass hood weighs in at 15 pounds, you are looking at $31 per pound in weight savings....for a carbon hood it would be approx. $33 per pound in weight savings...how important is it to you to loose some weight???

Well, Mike, for some of us that actually have a 914 that is used for sumthin' other than a garage decoration, weight loss is something of a holy grail.

In my own case getting down to (or better still, below) class minimum weight (2100lbs) is gonna be tough & sometimes expensive. I'm seriously lookin' at Getty's CF lids.....what's another 1500 bucks at this point. confused24.gif
Kinda like your needle bearings.....I coulda saved 700 bucks with polyhorseshit. biggrin.gif

I do anticipate a large weight loss with the gutted doors sittin' on the workbench.....prolly 50-60 lbs......tho I haven't weighed the stockers, the gutted jobbies weigh maybe 15-20 lbs.

I guess it depends on what rings your bell. biggrin.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
My fiberglass deck lids and bumper are from Patrick Motorsports. Not sure who supplies him but the fit and finsh are excellent and most people so far have been shocked when they discover the decklids are not steel. Car currently weighs in at 1910 Lbs.

IPB Image

IPB Image

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/

My 914 at Patrick Motorsports
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/...n=gallery&id=14
Mueller
I'm not arguing here JP, sooner or later I too plan on getting new lids front and back....depending on the actual weight and cost, the carbon pieces seem like a good deal for just a few bucks more per pound in savings

trust me, seeing the 914 up on jack stands collecting dust is starting to get old headbang.gif
Eric_Shea
Hey! That looks like a painted version of JP's ride!! w00t.gif
Eric_Shea
Mine were MUCH less than $500 clams. I'll guarantee it. (cause I'm too Fuching cheap to spend that kinda dough) wink.gif
Randal
gutted doors sittin' on the workbench.....prolly 50-60 lbs

I just did mine. The stripped doors are 20lbs finished, i.e., I added cross bars for strength, although sheet metal works just as good and might be lighter.

My 1975 doors are 54 lbs each or 108lbs for the pair. Your 60lbs estimate is pretty good.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 5 2004, 03:38 PM)

My 1975 doors are 54 lbs each or 108lbs for the pair. Your 60lbs estimate is pretty good.

Even a blind squirrel finds an accorn once in a while laugh.gif
URY914
There is race glass out there for $250 if you know who to ask.

Ask me.
Randal

Please tell us. chowtime.gif
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 5 2004, 09:11 PM)

I think Paul makes the skins. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if HE was made from fiberglass. ohmy.gif
URY914

... Aircooled Racing & Parts 1560 Old Mountain Road, Wellsville, PA 17365 USA Phone (
717 ) 432-4116 Fax ( 717 ) 432-RACE E-mail: info@aircooledracing.com. ...

They have a website but I couldn' get the link to work.

Paul
URY914
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Nov 5 2004, 11:04 PM)

I think Paul makes the skins. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if HE was made from fiberglass. ohmy.gif

I do/can make some f/g c/f parts (door skins and front turn signal covers) but it takes too much time.

Paul
morgan
Here is a email of a guy who makes hoods and trunks For 914s
Fordbarn1@aol.com 450.00 for both plus shipping
JM
Eddie914
My hood weighs 13.5 lbs & rear deck weighs 12 lbs. They are made from Coremat with no other reinforcing needed. No hinges or latches ... only hood pins.

Eddie
brant
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 5 2004, 02:25 PM)
stock steel front hood with latch= 31lbs (I measured it)

I've been finding on my race car project that the going rate for weight is $50=1lb

brant
brant
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 5 2004, 04:38 PM)
gutted doors sittin' on the workbench.....prolly 50-60 lbs

I just did mine. The stripped doors are 20lbs finished, i.e., I added cross bars for strength, although sheet metal works just as good and might be lighter.

I think we got 17lbs finally for each door.
that is with hinges and full metal, but we did cut about 6 3inch holes into the bottom of it.

brant
bernbomb914
Rennsport has a complete line of FG parts also. I have installed stock bumpers and le ft spoiler and they fit pretty good

Bernie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.