Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windsheild trim clips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
do the clips simply hold the trim in place by squeezing the trim betwen the clip and the windshisld frame?

seems the clips are plastic? are they held in the the butyl bead?
sfrenck
There are plastic pins that hold the plastic clips to the windshield frame (window needs to be out to replace a clip).

Clip hooks onto the turned edge of the trim - doesn't press the trim against the frame (well it does, but that isn't the method that holds the trim in).
McMark
They're essentially a fancy rivet. Push the forked piece into the steel (there're holes) then push the pin into place which stops the forked pieces from re-compressing.
jimkelly
thanks guys.

heat gun comes in handy again, as my butyl was a mess and in some areas sylicon was used, so i removed it all with heat gun to see if there was a hidden rust issue. i plan to remove the windshield, maybe the piano wire way or some other tool?

correction...
seems there are 19 clips that hold the trim in place.
6 on top, 7 on bottom, 3 on each side.
jim_hoyland
After painting and installing new clips, rust began appearing behind the chrome trim where each clip was installed . Turned out the clips were a tight fit and wore the primer and paint away exposing the holes to moisture. UGH sad.gif

ConeDodger
I used an Exacto knife slipped in between the windshield flange and the clip to remove the old. Then, I used a Dremel with a abrasive buff to remove the old butyl. After that, I carefully masked and primed it with rattle can primer sealer. No need to repaint in body color as this is all covered.
jimkelly
good pic of clip

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...eld+replacement

JawjaPorsche
According to 914Rubber, there are 19 clips which they sell:

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-t...on-914WSCRC.htm

I got them in case my windshleld repairmen needed them when he replaced my windshield but he was able to use the old clips. I returned the new clips to Mark for a refund.

Drums66
......And, and the clips should never be reused! or your going to have
problems? idea.gif

as you were! bye1.gif
JawjaPorsche
I don't know anything about windshields and clips. That is why I got an expert who has been in business for 25 years to do it. I got new clips for him and he said the old ones were fine so I am taking him at his word. I know he will make it good if I have problems. beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Nov 29 2012, 03:26 PM) *

......And, and the clips should never be reused! or your going to have
problems? idea.gif

as you were! bye1.gif

jimkelly
correction -- 19 clips -- see pic above
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.