Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake light (switch) question/issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tommott77
Going down the list of items on my new/old 914 and am now working on set of inoperable brake lights. I pulled off and tested the brake light switch.

For some reason I'm getting continuity without the switch being actuated, as if the brake the pedal was not depressed, but don't have any continuity with the switch being actuated, as if the brake pedal was depressed. This coupled with the fact that my brake lights don't function under whatsoever has my mind blown.... I would think that the lights should at least be on without the brake pedal being depressed under these conditions.

Am I missing something obvious,... or losing my mind,... or perhaps have a bad multi-meter? Any input that confirm or deny that I'm going crazy would be extremely appreciated at put me at ease.

Thanks
luskesq
Cannot attest to the state of your mind; however you could bypass with a jumper the leads going to the switch. If your brake lights work you know your wiring is okay.

Keith
Cap'n Krusty
I suspect you're testing it backwards. The lever is normally held open and contact is made when it is allowed to close.

The Cap'n
tommott77
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 29 2012, 02:18 PM) *

I suspect you're testing it backwards. The lever is normally held open and contact is made when it is allowed to close.

The Cap'n

Yep!!! Apparently I have a perfectly operable brake switch and perfectly inoperable head. I realized this was likely the case as soon as I posted the post and just went in the car and confirmed.

Back to the drawing board. BTW which set of lights in the back are supposed to be the brake lights? I don't have anything as reference.
luskesq
Go to Jeff Bowlsby's site (http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm). Lots of other good information there but scroll all the way down the page to "Tailights". That should answer your question.

Good luck,

Keith
tommott77
QUOTE(luskesq @ Nov 30 2012, 10:36 AM) *

Go to Jeff Bowlsby's site (http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm). Lots of other good information there but scroll all the way down the page to "Tailights". That should answer your question.

Good luck,

Keith

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.