Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bursch Muffler paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sfrenck
Well, after reading about how paint flakes off Bursch mufflers (and seeing pics here on World), I decided to email Horsepower Engineering and ask why they don't use better paint.

I discovered two things:

1) You can order Bursch exhausts unpainted from the factory. Pricing is the same for painted or unpainted.
2) They claim their paint is "rated for temperatures between 4-500 degrees"
3) They stated the pricing for ceramic coating is from $150 to $175 (following up to make sure they offer that as a direct option from them).

One of the funnier lines from them:

"The best paint we have found to have a higher temperature is Rustoleum BBQ black. We can only buy it in spray cans so you may want to paint it yourself."

wingnut86
Wow.

Do they still do all their invoices on an abacus 1st before they chisel the details into the Flintstones notebook made of granite?

WTF?
VaccaRabite
They are right, though.
Grill paint or ceramics is the best way to go.
Ceramics being best of all, but it costs about the same as the bursh to have it done.

Buy one unpainted and hit it with grill paint. Otherwise the paint they use will burn off in about the first hour of use and the system will rust away.
sfrenck
More information: They send the mufflers to Embee Performance for ceramic coating.
pete000
FYI: I splurged on their ceramic upgrade and it rusted in one year at the seams.

sfrenck
Link to Joe Sayre's muffler saga which go me on this kick. Pics of his exhaust at the end of the thread probably from the Embee Performance shop.

JSayre's Exhaust (car exhaust that is)

Joe - chime in with an update on what your muffler looks like.
sfrenck
QUOTE(pete000 @ Nov 29 2012, 06:44 PM) *

FYI: I splurged on their ceramic upgrade and it rusted in one year at the seams.

That's great info... can buy a lot of cans of rustoleum (or not as much VHT Flameproof / gas to run the car for the curing process) for the extra ceramic cost.

At least I know that I can get the exhaust without the paint so I don't need to pay someone to strip it.
jsayre914
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Nov 29 2012, 06:51 PM) *

Joe - chime in with an update on what your muffler looks like.

The exhaust rusted to shit in less than a year, brand new. It was my second one from Doug. I figured it was just unlucky but after the second one went barf.gif

I called Chris biggrin.gif

Here is a current picture

Gint
I need to ask Dave what kind of paint he puts on his Triad mufflers. It's really good stuff and looks cool too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.