Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk cable replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
I decided to replace my front trunk cable since I need to us 100+ pounds of force to open it. I found some very small diameter braided wire to replace it. The latch side is very straight forward, but the handle end looks odd.

How does the cable attach to the handle?

The only thing I see is a flathead screw and before I took that out, I thought I would ask first. Also, is there a preferred end to start in fishing it back?
It appears that the handle is permanently attached to the body.
sfrenck
Flat head screw removal lets you pull the entire handle (and cable) out of the car (screw prevents this from happening normally when you pull the handle to open the trunk). I'm not sure how the cable attaches to the handle, but I'm pretty sure you'll need the handle out.
jim_hoyland
Check out the cable on the left: it appears to have a threaded end that goes into the handle'

IPB Image
ellisor3
As it turns out you can not swap a new braided cable for the old metal one. That end is manufactured into the threaded end. No way to swap them. I simple pulled the old cable, sanded off the surface rust, greased the crap out of it, and put it back. Works great.
Dave_Darling
The whole handle assembly can be removed from the car by removing a bolt from inside the trunk that threads through the firewall into the handle's bracket. I remember it was an Allen-head screw in mine. I also remember that the big flat-head screw was a small set-screw on mine, so perhaps yours has already been replaced?

--DD
Mikey914
Yes, you can't just use a braded cable to replace it as it has a threadded termination that screws into the end of the handle. The other issue with these is the "sheath" that guides the cable can become worn, and it must be firmly affixed to the body to prevent flex as you pull.

Hope this helps.
-mark
Harpo
Good afternoon,

On my car the "T" handle threads in to the cable. The cable housing is NLA I believe but someone here replaced the whole assy with a motorcycle cable assy.

David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.