Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3,2 in an early car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
searched the Classics, this wasn't explicitly addressed...

got a line on a "complete" 3,2 locally. initially, it'd go into the '71 911 (weird pushime-pulliyou clutch). later on, it could find its way into the 914.6 (914 content...). i'll keep the 911 transmission and be careful - a 915 upgrade is not in the cards at this time.

so - what do i have to do to make a DME engine work and mate to a 911 transmission, what do i need to get, and who do i get it from ?

i know there are people here who've put 3,2's into 914's and aside from the minor clutch issues it should be pretty much the same. in Frere's 911 Story he mentions it's an attractive upgrade for an earlier 911 "but a good man would be necessary to sort the electrics out!" BTDT when i transplanted a CIS-KE '85 engine into a CIS-E '83 GTI. i can find my way around the wiring diagrams.

the flywheel/clutch issues, however, i'm a little more unclear on.

it's a street/DE/PCA AX car, SCCA classifications are not an issue...
Root_Werks
he 3.2 is one I have not done yet. But I have heard if you have a donor car so you can grab the harnes, brain etc from it, you are half way there. There are a few on this club who have done it and hopefully they will chime in for you. wink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 5 2004, 10:51 AM)
...if you have a donor car so you can grab the harnes, brain etc from it, you are half way there....

the engine is represented as "complete" with all that stuff. IMO they're asking a premium price so it -better- be "complete" ... so it's the -other- half of the way i'm worried about :-)
lapuwali
If you want to stick with DME, you'll need to modify the gearbox. The DME has sensor aimed at the ring gear to measure engine speed, and another sensor aimed at a pin on the ring gear to get TDC for cylinder 1. Either go with aftermarket injection, or get the correct for that engine gearbox, or switch to carbs. Finding a used 915 would probably be the cheapest option, given the prices of carbs and aftermarket EFI (unless you're willing to use Megasquirt).
Steve
I have a 3.2 in my 914
Call KEP and get there adapter kit for the 914/901 trans.
http://www.kennedyeng.com/
It comes with an adapter ring for the 3.2 flywheel.
The KEP clutch bolts to this adapter ring.
The kit also comes with a special throw out bearing.
I'm also running the stock DME fuel injection.
Its alot less hassle than webers and easily connects to the stock 914 wiring harness.
Regarding the DME sensors on the flywheel you will need to notch the 914 transmission to clear the sensor.
I used a dremel tool to do this.
Its kinda obvious where you need to cut when you try to mate the trans to the motor.
If you baby first gear or start off in second the 914 trans is fine and will last along time.
I have 20k miles so far on mine with no problems.
Except for the notch there is nothing else you need to do to the trans.
The 911 901 trans would require the same mod but you wouldn't use the same KEP kit.
The KEP kit is designed for a push clutch 65-69.
I would call KEP and see if they have anything that will work with the pull clutch.
You might also try Patrick motor sports or GPR.
The only other issue with putting a 3.2 in a 914 is you have to modify the MAF bracket so the MAF doesn't hit the rear trunk.
It still hits the rear trunk lid springs so I removed them and installed shocks for the rear trunk lid.
I used L brackets from home depot to modify the MAF mount.
GPR sells complete kits including the KEP kit.

There are already tons of threads on this conversion including the wiring for the DME.
Easy conversion and highly recommended.
You can even use stock 914-6 tin.
For the pull clutch in the 70/71 I saw a thread that covered this but I don't know how you would deal with the sensor ring.

Steve
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Nov 5 2004, 11:08 AM)
If you want to stick with DME, you'll need to modify the gearbox. The DME has sensor aimed at the ring gear to measure engine speed, and another sensor aimed at a pin on the ring gear to get TDC for cylinder 1.

i'll assume you meant starter ring as opposed to ring & pinion.

i prefer not to do a 915 upgrade at this time, but if it can be done for less than i'd have to spend on rebuilding the 911 it might be the thing to do. hate to give up the 901 shift pattern tho. i wonder if JWest has a RennShift tradein program - i can't afford to just sideline it until i get the 914.6 running...

there must be a -little- more to it than flywheel sensors - the flywheel can't possibly tell the difference between #1 and #4 all by itself ... but i would prefer to retain the DME. the KEP product looks like a good route ...
Steve
You are correct its the starter ring, not the ring and pinion.
If you look at a 915 trans for 3.2 you will see where they notched the trans housing to clear the sensors.
the two sensors are mounted to the motor.
The flywheel has two conductive screws on it that the sensors detect as the flywheel spins.
I would check with KEP and see if they have an adapter flywheel for your trans.
I would also check with Patrick motorsports and or GPR.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.