Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Convert tailshift to sideshift tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Fairly certain that I have seen info that a tailshift transmission can be converted to a sideshift transmission. But I can't find the information now. Anyone know if this can be done? Easy? Know where to find info on how to/what is involved?

I'm asking because I have a tailshift transmission in my 72 that works really well. But I'm building a 73 and need a sideshift tranny. I have 3 sideshift transmissions but do not know the history of any of them.

If a tail shift to side shift conversion is possible, is it recommended?

I also have 2 other tailshift transmissions that I do not know the history of.

wacko.gif Too many transmissions!

It seems that there must be a way for me to use the transmissions that I have to make sure that I have a good working side shift transmission in my 73 project.

Thoughts/suggestions?
seanery
throw in one of the unknowns, if you aren't happy keep trying. If all fails then rebuild the tail to sideshifter.
SLITS
Rear tailcone, side shift assembly (one on side of tranny) and some shift rails & gaskets
GWN7
Other stuff needed from the side-shift donor car:
The complete shift linkage including the gear shift lever. (You can use your old shift knob if you like, but that's it!)
The motor mount bar.
The ouboard solid mounts.
The inboard rubber mounts.
The brackets from the motor to the inboard mounts.
The "converter bushing" for the hole in the firewall where the linkage goes.

as per DD

The best thing to do is to open up both transmission and rebuild the sideshifter with the best parts form both. That is the basic premise of my article and the way I "rebuild" trannies.

The "leave the case attached to the engine" idea was so that you could fix things internally if all the seals were OK. If the seals have not been replaced, replace all of the seals after fully removing the tranny case.

If you do not want to rebuild the tranny stack or do not have the tools, all you need to do is change the internal shift rods from the saide shift stack to the tail shift stack, re-install the tailshift stack back into the tail shift case. Install the shift console from the side shift and use the tail cover from the side shift. This would be quicker. I still reccomend getting the "tool" for aligning the shiftrods.

As per Red Beard
Doug Leggins
throw in one of the unknowns, if you aren't happy keep trying

THought about this but really would like to have better odds to get it right the first time. Of course I'm going to spend way too much time cleaning up the tranny before I ever install it -lol. And I know how badly I bent up engine tin dropping engines out before. Gonna try to get it right the first time.

Thanks slits - that tells me that it can be done!

Bruce - Thanks for the tips. I'll try to find DD and Red Beard's info. Having trouble getting Red Beard's site to open.
Bleyseng
I agree with Slits as its a pretty basic swap. Hardest part is the shift lever adjustment.

Geoff
mikey
Other stuff needed from the side-shift donor car:
The complete shift linkage including the gear shift lever. (You can use your old shift knob if you like, but that's it!)
The motor mount bar.
The ouboard solid mounts.
The inboard rubber mounts.
The brackets from the motor to the inboard mounts.
The "converter bushing" for the hole in the firewall where the linkage goes.

Is this same stuff needed for a conversion on an original 914-6?
GWN7
Doug,

I got those from searching the "other" bbs. I knew I had read about it there. There were other posts too.

beerchug.gif
Red-Beard
If you have a sawzall, you can make the shiftfork alignment tool out of an un-used tranny case. I should have done this to the dozen tranny cases i dumped earlier this year, and sold them on evil-bay.

Actually, the conversion can be done to the tranny quite easily. It really just involves changing the shift forks to the late ones and having the new external shifter. The rest of the regular conversion applies.

Now, the question is...why would anyone want to do this? The reason you would is...it's easier than tearing down the gear stacks. If you have an excellently working tailshift, then changing the forks is pretty easy. The hardest part is getting the detent balls and springs put together properly in the intermediate plate.

And really, it's the internal shift RODS that the forks are attached to, that are different.

You can reuse the old tail cover. It would look better if you cut odd the old shift rod link and welded or filled that hole with expoxy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.