Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer issue needle acting slow and bouncy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TC 914-8
The other day I noticed my Speedometer needle bouncing 15-20 MPH swings while at crusing speed. I knew my speedo cable housing was burnt from resting on the header long time ago. I ordered a new cable, a simple job to replace if you don't have a center console, or a 500mil battery relocate cable running in the tunnel along with the speedo cable. So after 2-3 hrs to do a 1/2 hr job I think I'm done. Go for a test drive, and nothing confused24.gif The needle dosn't even move while driving. I pulled the speedo out and verified the cable turns when driving. Hooked up my drill motor to drive the speedo manually and the needle barely makes it to 30 mph at full speed on the drill motor. Put it back in go for a drive and at 30-40 MPH on the GPS the speedo is only 20mph. The needle hangs there when stopped, and now my odometer dosn't turn or clock miles.
Obviously something broke or is worn, has anyone done this repair? is it serviceable? Or am I better off sending it out?
Palo Alto spedometer or North Hollywood Speedo are the only ones I know about.
Any PNW folks know of a speedo shop in Seattle or localaly with out sending it off?
rhodyguy
search results...speedometer repair tacoma wa. for the tacoma shop, if they can fix it, set things up, mail it to me and i'll run it in and send it home to you when completed. the shop is about 5 miles from my place.

tacoma speedometer 253-582-3890

speedometer shop (seattle) 206-623-6777
TC 914-8
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 1 2012, 12:25 PM) *

search results...speedometer repair tacoma wa. for the tacoma shop, if they can fix it, set things up, mail it to me and i'll run it in and send it home to you when completed. the shop is about 5 miles from my place.

tacoma speedometer 253-582-3890

speedometer shop (seattle) 206-623-6777

Thanks for the info Kevin !! beerchug.gif
I'll be in Seattle for the next few weeks I'll see if I can drop it off at one of the two places.
NORD

Toni I have an extra speedo if you want to borrow one. LMK
sixnotfour
whats a speedometer ???
SLKWrx
Or you could just replace it with a GPS Speedo like I did and do away with speedo cable issues, tire size problems, etc... Bought mine and love it.
Tom
Jeff,
LOL!!, What's a speedometer?
One of them new fangled things that some folks use to determine if they are in for a ticket; they use them because they don't know how to convert RPM's and gears to speed. smile.gif lol-2.gif
I spect guys like you could tell speed fairly accurately by the music of the 6's RPM's alone! biggrin.gif Kinda like telephone poles going by like picket fences.
Tom
Rand
Dude, it's just too much pug dander. If you don't run that speedo into the triple digits at least once per week in your environment, this is typical.

I would say you could hire Troy to help, but he's more likely to let the smoke out of your clutch than burn the pug dander out of your speedo.

Tom
Sorry TC,
I just could't resist,
I looked on outta the window and I started countin’ phone poles, goin’ by at the rate of four to the seventh power. Well I put two and two together, and added twelve and carried five; come up with twenty-two thousand telephone poles an hour.
LOL!,
Tom

TC 914-8
Alright Ding-Dongs,
Sofar Kevin has been the only one with pertinent info.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do spell check next time,"speedometer"
Nord, thanks for the offer, I think I'll send mine in for repair
partwerks
I had this guy do some machining on mine and got her fixed up. I think it was like $75.00 and shipping to get it fixed.

Note from C&S Fabrication and Restoration
We thank you for your business. Here is our contact information. Cory Shepherd C&S Fabrications & Restoration 11951 Coolbrook Ln Manassas, Va 20112 call/text 703.402.4008 Specialtygauge@gmail.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.