Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I didn't replace my front wheel bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
This is on my 911, but its the same front bearing setup as the teener I think. I went to replace front wheel bearings while I was in there doing brakes and rotors -- nothing wrong with the bearings that I could tell, just figured at 64k miles, might as well replace them and not worry about it for the foreseeable future.

Well, upon inspection, the oe bearings and races were in great shape and made in Germany. My replacements were hecho en Mexico. Driving the races out of the hub seemed to be not super fun and i am limited to working sessions equal to or less than Jeff's nap duration. So, i repacked both the inner and outer oe bearings with fresh swepco 101, put in a new grease seal and left the Mexican bearings on the shelf.

Am I a bad person?
G e o r g e
QUOTE(rwilner @ Dec 1 2012, 03:53 PM) *

This is on my 911, but its the same front bearing setup as the teener I think. I went to replace front wheel bearings while I was in there doing brakes and rotors -- nothing wrong with the bearings that I could tell, just figured at 64k miles, might as well replace them and not worry about it for the foreseeable future.

Well, upon inspection, the oe bearings and races were in great shape and made in Germany. My replacements were hecho en Mexico. Driving the races out of the hub seemed to be not super fun and i am limited to working sessions equal to or less than Jeff's nap duration. So, i repacked both the inner and outer oe bearings with fresh swepco 101, put in a new grease seal and left the Mexican bearings on the shelf.

Am I a bad person?

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the bearings. happy11.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Dec 1 2012, 06:58 PM) *

Have you been talking to my wife or something? wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rwilner @ Dec 1 2012, 04:41 PM) *

Umm... Rich, are you the only one who doesn't know that we've ALL been talking to your wife? evilgrin.gif
euro911
laugh.gif
reharvey
Relax--I've done the same. The German OEM bearings are so much better quality then any aftermarket replacement. Ray
ww914
QUOTE(reharvey @ Dec 2 2012, 09:16 AM) *

Relax--I've done the same. The German OEM bearings are so much better quality then any aftermarket replacement. Ray

My experience has been that used German parts are far superior to new parts made in China or Mexico.

But, you are probably still a bad person. I mean that in a nice way.
rwilner
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 1 2012, 08:45 PM) *

QUOTE(rwilner @ Dec 1 2012, 04:41 PM) *

Umm... Rich, are you the only one who doesn't know that we've ALL been talking to your wife? evilgrin.gif

hm....that explains why I've had so much "free time" in the garage lately...

drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.