Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tightness of lock nut on spindle against bearings?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replaced the 5 lug front rotors/discs and need to know how snug the bearing retaining rings need to be. When the hexnuts were removed, the rings were on finger tight and easily spun off.

On reinstall, should they be snugged up a little with my oversized channel lock pliers or do they need to be just be backed off just a tiny bit from tight?
Eric_Shea
You should be able to just move the washer under the spindle nut with a screwdriver. Then tighten the hex and check them once more after 500 miles.
RickS
Thanks Eric. You must be talking about the thrust washer and be able to just wiggle it a tiny amount, correct?
Dave_Darling
I believe the 911 bearing design is similar enough to the 914-4 version to say this:

There's a thick washer under the nut, and it is absolutely critical. You tighten the nut until you can just slide the washer under it from side to side with a screwdriver. Then you tighten the pinch bolt in the nut to the correct spec. (11 lb-ft, possibly? Check the manual.)

Just checked the PDF parts diagrams for the 83 SC. Yup, they're just like the 914 bearing retainer setup.

Get the washer. If the nut on the spindle is a regular hex nut, get the correct part, which is kind of C-shaped with the ends of the C held together with a bolt.

Washer
Nut with clamping bolt

--DD
RickS
Thanks Dave for the reply. The thrust washer has a tooth which fits in the groove in the spindle so I believe we are talking the same thing. Against that I am tightening down the spindle nut which contains the hex. And I do have an SC front end (with early 911S calipers) so you are on the money. I will make the adjustments tomorrow so it has a tiny amout on wiggle and check in 500 miles.

I tried the brake pedal after I was through and it almost went to the floor but came back up to firm after a few pumps. Is that to be expected?
IronHillRestorations
Yes that the correct washer Rick. I turn the rotor when I tighten the pinch nut, and then loosen whilst prising the thrust washer with a screwdriver until it just moves.
Dave_Darling
If you pushed the pistons back into your calipers, then it is perfectly normal for the brake pedal to go to the floor. That's the pistons getting pushed out again.

--DD
RickS
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Cap'n Krusty
Something is missing from the previous replies. When we tell you to move the washer with the tip of a screwdriver, we mean just that. DO NOT pry the washer to and fro, just move it with the unsupported tip. It should take a little effort, not just slide easily. When you're done and the tire is in place and tightened down, there should be a barely perceptible play in the wheel when grasped at the top and bottom and shaken in and out.

The Cap'n
RickS
Thanks cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.