Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusting the brake pedal light switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
auto_cran
So the brake lights on our teener don't come on until the pedal is at least 1/2 pressed (or more). So I'm looking into adjusting it to come on sooner.

After removing the wooden floor board (wow - what a job!) and with the help of a mirror I can see the little screw that I need to turn.

Is it best to remove the switch so I can better access the screw - or should I keep the switch in place and turn the screw? Removing the switch looks simple but I am a little concerned about the silver lever that attaches to the pedal.

Also - does anyone know which way I should be turning the screw (clockwise or counterclockwise). I want to adjust it so the lights come on as soon as the lightest pressure is applied.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to screw up anything as the brake lights work fine, just have to really get on the brakes to see them!

Thanks!

Chris
(auto_cran)

1974 Porsche 914 1.8
McMark
I've never had to adjust that screw. Something else is wrong. Probably with the pushrod that goes into the master cylinder.
Eric_Shea
The switch doesn't require adjusting.

There is a washer on the MC plunger that is sandwiched between the end of the plunger and a 15mm nut. I'm guessing that washer (which activates the switch) is in the wrong spot (often gets put back wrong making it rest further back). The armature on the switch should be touching the backside of that washer. Have a look, you should see it.

In the sitting position the switch should be an open circuit. Pushing the pedal down allows the arm on the switch to move forward, closing the circuit. If that washer isn't positioned properly then you would have to depress the pedal further than usual.
type47
Yea, and make doubly sure you put the lever arm of the switch on the front side (toward driver) of the washer. If the lever is on the back side, when you depress the brake pedal it will put such a tension on the switch that you'll break your switch and replacements go between $35 and $80. I had to get the $80 one when I broke one at the track hissyfit.gif (sometimes you have to pay to play...). You might remove the switch to see how the system works and see how the adjustment works. (I removed the accelerator pedal then the brake switch is mounted with 2 screws. You could leave the wires connected to the switch then you could operate the lights.)
auto_cran
Thanks for all the tips. I'll take a look at what I see and report back. Sounds like I am in the right area - under the dash at the pedals, and hopefully just the washer is just sitting wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.