Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long can you take to finish a restoration?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Do I ever plan on finishing my car? I just keep putting projects in the way. What's it going to take to get me to put this baby back on the road?

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
The answer is in the Mirror..
PanelBilly
Damn, I'm good looking
Daiberl
A few Teener Tuesdays and you should be fine biggrin.gif Let me know if you need some help, happy to come down on a Saturday or Sunday.
PanelBilly
I'm going to do some garage cleaning tonight and see if I can make enough space to open the doors!
saigon71
It starts so simply..."man, this thing doesn't look to bad, what a deal, I will be cruising with the top off before long!"

Next thing you know, you are buying a grinder, metal cutting wheels and a mig welder.

While you are cutting out rusted metal, you are reading 914world.com and see the need to update some things....

You order parts you will need in the future as you find the right deal in the 914world.com classifieds or group buy.

You regularly attend Porsche shows and 914 outings without a driveable car...

Its a sickness and there is no cure.

I bought my car in the spring of 2009.

barf.gif
bam914
My dad has had his 914-6 for 20 years. It has been apart for 19 1/2 years. I was 18 when we got and was going to help restore. Then life got in the way. That all ends next week. It comes over to the house to finish the rust repair I started 15 years ago.
SirAndy
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 3 2012, 06:25 PM) *
How long can you take to finish a restoration?

There's only two ways to restore a 914:

1. Do it right the first time and spend a lot of time and money to get every last bit the way you want. This can easily take 5 years or more.

2. Do it somewhat quicker by cutting corners. When you're done, you'll enjoy the car for some time but all the while you'll have that nagging feeling that you didn't do it right the first time so eventually you'll end up doing it all over again. See 1.

popcorn[1].gif
Mr.242
Take a bet with someone 2 years from now. Say around $500 if you lose and make $100 if you win. Pain in the losing and then bet to building....

I did this with my in-laws and I had to get to it or represent myself as a loser.
Jgilliam914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2012, 09:15 PM) *

1. Do it right the first time and spend a lot of time and money to get every last bit the way you want. This can easily take 5 years or more.

2. Do it somewhat quicker by cutting corners. When you're done, you'll enjoy the car for some time but all the while you'll have that nagging feeling that you didn't do it right the first time so eventually you'll end up doing it all over again. See 1.

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif I started 7 years ago disassembling it. It laid dormant for 6 years I started getting the bug a year ago and joined the forum in July. I have decided to do it right which has set me back even further. I have tore apart things I did 8 -12 months ago. I do know that I will be happier with the end result whenever that might be.
Mike Bellis

What's it going to take to get me to put this baby back on the road?

A Dead Line

WCR 2013! You got 6 months...

piratenanner.gif
tomeric914
The problem with finishing a car... what do you do when you're done?
JRust
Sometimes you just have to give it to Jamie & let him have the heart/headache confused24.gif
euro911
Now that my '75 (bought in late 2006) is pretty much all together (good enough for a driver), I'll be focusing more on my wife's '71. We started the tear down in 2008, but I have been gathering new and rebuilt parts for it in the mean time.

It's true that other things get in the way ... I just started back working on a '66 912 that I bought in 1988. I haven't touched it since 1989.

Click to view attachment

If that's not bad enough, I have another car that I bought in 1977 that won't get worked on until all the other cars are done (and some sold off) popcorn[1].gif

Having the time (retired now) and space (have an organized shop now) really helps shades.gif
aircooledtechguy

Do I ever plan on finishing my car? I just keep putting projects in the way. What's it going to take to get me to put this baby back on the road?

Click to view attachment

Looks like you need a windshield and to tighten the lugs. poke.gif

If you need help all you need to do is offer beer and a guarantee you'll have more help than you know what to do with lol-2.gif
Jeffs9146
Too specific!!

I have finished many cars in less than a year and I have sat on cars for over 10 years!!

It depends on the car and my life at the time!
OU8AVW
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 3 2012, 06:45 PM) *

It starts so simply..."man, this thing doesn't look to bad, what a deal, I will be cruising with the top off before long!"

Next thing you know, you are buying a grinder, metal cutting wheels and a mig welder.

While you are cutting out rusted metal, you are reading 914world.com and see the need to update some things....

You order parts you will need in the future as you find the right deal in the 914world.com classifieds or group buy.

barf.gif

agree.gif

That's my story right down to the bought my car in 2009!
MDG
Just passed the three year mark. Two cars, completely stripped to bare metal tubs and back, NOS parts that are like questing for the holy grail . . . I am at the reassembly stage for both.
wndsnd
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 3 2012, 09:45 PM) *

barf.gif

Boy, This sounds familiar... wub.gif
gunny
one restoration leads to another. They are never done.
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2012, 10:15 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I believe that there is a requirement to have two cars to comply with both 1 and 2 above.

Drive and enjoy one, while building the second one the right way.

If you are not driving a 914, its hard to stay motivated to fix up the perfect car.

So, go out and buy a POS 914 driver...to remember why you started painting the universe in the first place.
Then, finish up the blue car, and sell off the driver.

Rich
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2012, 08:15 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

3. Pay a high quality restoration facility to work on it 8 hours per day. $$$,$$$
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Dec 3 2012, 08:04 PM) *

The problem with finishing a car... what do you do when you're done?

Start another project
boogie_man
I'm trying the 2 year plan (my co-worker's say 5 years) I only have the
floor rust (minor) to complete and I'm in 1st 2 part primer. Started it
4th of July weekend last year. It has been a lot of work for sure but it's
really starting to look like a car now which is very rewarding. Not spending
a lot of time on it (not 8 hours a day) but it's getting there and it shows.

4th of July weeekend:
IPB Image

Now:

IPB Image

I say to myself under my partical mask "no turning back now" LOL !!!

you will always find help on this site, great GREAT bunch of peeps.

Scott
Tom_T
It takes as long as it takes! The classic car & resto magazines feature some taking 10-30+ years! Life gets in the way & stromberg.gif happens!

Mine had to sit 25+ years in my garage after getting whacked (after a 80-83 DD level resto/refurb/mech. rebuild) for my kids to grow up, go to college & move out - and even now stuff & other projects keep bumping it!! dry.gif

Do what you can, when you can, as you can afford it, and it will eventually get done if you want it to and stick with it. Yours looks pretty far along from the pic, especially compared to mine! biggrin.gif
JoeSharp
I believe there is a guy here that took 25 years and is driving the car today. I have seen the car at the G and R swapmeet. Nice car.
Krieger
Tooo loooong!
Rand
Not being able to drive it would drive me crazy.

I believe in doing it right, but if doing it right means you don't know when you'll be able to drive it.... Then find another one.

If you can't finish it in time to drive it down the street (not at dark because you're too old for that anymore) before you die, then it's like building models. Ok, this is cooler than a Revell, but...

Depends on you. Maybe you want something to look at when you're old. Take as long as you want. The longer it takes the less it matters.

The real question is, how bad do you want to drive it?
whatabout1
I got my '73 in '83. Drove it in Mn summers. Blew it up in '93.

Then i had a great job and time. (seldom get both) so in with the 2.7,
930 susp, bremtechs, quaffe.... Drove it for 1 summer and back apart to improve.

Then got a really great job ! No time and into storage it went.

17 yrs later, I have acquired some nice bits for her, she is out of storage,
and I just retired. Now I have time !
euro911
QUOTE(whatabout1 @ Dec 4 2012, 01:50 PM) *
I got my '73 in '83. Drove it in Mn summers. Blew it up in '93
... Now I have time !
In less than a month, it'll be 2013. Starting to see some sort of numeric pattern here idea.gif
Cairo94507
I am hoping to see mine in my garage in the spring of 2014.....so a little while longer.
FourBlades

My blue car (the Rockin 914) took 2.5 years starting with never having changed my own oil much less welded anything. I did it all myself except building the engine, which McMark did for me. Now Joe from Series9 has the electromotive ITB setup running really sweet. Of course, it will never be really finished...I am sure it will end up as a GT clone with flares, roll bar, etc. or all balled up in the woods at Roebling.

I think the IMSA car I have has taken 2 years of actual work interrupted by time I spent on the blue car. I am sure it will take another year to be running, maybe sped up by having Joe help me again.

I have a red 1972 that is in pretty good shape I want to do in under a year. I plan to cut open the longs and send it out for dipping to save time and effort. It will be all stock so that makes it much easier once you have done one before. The race car has taken a long time because everything is unique and has to be researched and figured out.

John
mr914
13 years and counting.... smoke.gif

Just buy a couple of 911's, a 6 conversion or two. And work around the world without selling the house or moving....

Then like the pink Floyd song, and ten years go by and you miss the starting gun

mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 4 2012, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2012, 10:15 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I believe that there is a requirement to have two cars to comply with both 1 and 2 above.

Drive and enjoy one, while building the second one the right way.

If you are not driving a 914, its hard to stay motivated to fix up the perfect car.

So, go out and buy a POS 914 driver...to remember why you started painting the universe in the first place.
Then, finish up the blue car, and sell off the driver.

Rich

I agree. Nice to have one to drive while one is getting built.
PanelBilly
In all fairness, I can use the excuse that I did a creamsickle since I started my restoration. I spent a few hours in the garage this afternoon and I can get at the car now. Parts are still in boxes, but at least the boxes are up on shelves rather than stacked next to the car.
shoguneagle
True, it is nice to have one to drive while you are restoring another. No room and it is cold out in the garage during the winter months. etc. etc. etc. Whatever the reason it has taken me seven plus years (and still not done) is immaterial, the building process is very enjjoyable. I have made several changes along the way and everything is closing mechanically. Need to paint and put the seals in the car.

Started this project somewhere around the time Sir Andy started and his has been completed for several years.

Excuses??? None, I just enjoy working on the project and making changes as I see needed as we move through the restoration/restoring/maintenance process. The car has been running with the 3.2 sixer and everything rebuilt for the past three years. Final changes to the front and rear suspensions this next spring, moving, and then painting and completion assembly.

What keeps interest? Reading and following other member projects, and getting advise from our members. I do take the car out and drive it around the neighborhood during the spring, summer, and fall; not the winter since there is usually snow and cold.

I have other vehicles that keep my interest and that I drive which includ a C-5 Corvette, Lotus Esprit, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Wrangler, and Chev Pickup. Enjjoy them all and always plan other projects on paper.

Afterall, when you are sick, go 100% since there is not any cure.

Steve
d914
2kids in college, a divorce , travel 3-4 days a week and trying to date actual women,,,, 5 years and counting! Hopefully 2013....
aircooledtechguy
This is how I am doing my shop-car and have been able to make good steady progress:

1. Made a basic outline of what I wanted to do with the car.
2. Split it up into phases 1, 2, 3 etc. This is really important; if an entire restoration is looked at as one big job, it's easy to get overwhelmed and loose focus. Before you know it months or years have passed and no progress. . .
3. Make a detailed list of goals and tasks for each phase.
4. Between each phase, I get some seat time to drive and enjoy the car. This keeps me motivated and excited to get to the next phase.

If you ever itch for driving a 914, let me know. You can take mine for a weekend or whatever and get motivated again. driving.gif After a couple days driving my tired 1.8L, you'll be itchin' to get that six installed in yours lol-2.gif
Sea Dragon 914
I don't feel so bad now after reading how long it has taken others to finish their restorations.

My orange race car is pretty much done. I had it painted in the early 90's and it runs well. It sat in my friend's shop for over 5 years (he also tracked it for a few years) until he said he needed the room in his shop. So, I drove it home and it sat in my driveway for 5 years (during which time the heat exchangers and muffler rotted out). Two years ago I moved it into the garage (WRX sits in the driveway now) and put in stainless heat exchangers and Bursch exhaust. Since then, I drive it occasionally on the weekends when the weather is nice.

My LE has been sitting dead in my garage since 2001 when I moved into my current house and needs restoration. Prior to moving to my current house, I had it re-painted by what I thought was a reputable paint shop. I also rebuilt the engine. A few years after the re-paint, the paint started peeling. After I moved to my new house in 2001, I ended up with an electrical problem screwy.gif (the fuse in the engine relay board connected to the fuel pump blows when I turn the ignition hot - I don't know if it is a short in the wiring from the fuse box to the pump or if it is just a locked up pump). So, the car has been sitting in the garage since 2001 and the interior and trunks are filled up with car parts and other stuff. I need to solve the electrical problem and want to get the car re-painted.

My Aubergine car is my daily driver. My dad gave it to me 7 or 8 years ago and I've been driving it pretty much daily. I thought I was going to restore it when I got it from but I pretty much have been just maintaining it. I have the parts for the engine re-build (it is on the original engine; my dad was second owner and he had all of the maintenance records up to the point he bought the car) but haven't done anything. I also have a spare complete 2.0 engine that I am planning to rebuild so I can just swap engines. I'm looking to build either a 2056 or a Euro spec 2.0 with a mild cam that will work with stock injection. The paint is shot but the body is straight and I want to get it re-painted by summer.

We'll see what state the cars are in next summer. confused24.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Dec 5 2012, 06:48 PM) *

This is how I am doing my shop-car and have been able to make good steady progress:

1. Made a basic outline of what I wanted to do with the car.
2. Split it up into phases 1, 2, 3 etc. This is really important; if an entire restoration is looked at as one big job, it's easy to get overwhelmed and loose focus. Before you know it months or years have passed and no progress. . .
3. Make a detailed list of goals and tasks for each phase.
4. Between each phase, I get some seat time to drive and enjoy the car. This keeps me motivated and excited to get to the next phase.

If you ever itch for driving a 914, let me know. You can take mine for a weekend or whatever and get motivated again. driving.gif After a couple days driving my tired 1.8L, you'll be itchin' to get that six installed in yours lol-2.gif

Let me get my SL out of the shop and I'll take you up on that. I'm guessing you might enjoy driving it for the weekend in exchange. I'm just having a ABC valve replaced in the rear
jimbot2000
I think it all comes down to time and finance. I have a minimum of 6 weeks vacation a year, no kids, good job. I just got started on my 914 a few weeks ago. The car needs new longs both sides (inside and out) both front wings need attention, and the floor as well. I plan to have the car in paint by Easter. Still deciding on the engine configuration, but once I do that should be test run with the trans by May. Brakes, suspension and steering by July. Interior, trim and electrical by September. The rest is little stuff that takes a long time. I've done two cars to completion so far, and only the first one took more than a year.

But let's face it, this is a hobby! The point is to enjoy the time, learn something new and each of us will do that at their own speed. I just like to do it fast. And I don't cut corners! (Usually)
greenie

Part 1 "Maybe before I Die"

Part 2 confused24.gif

I'm headed to the garage today(maybe).
NORD

I'm headed to the garage today(maybe).
[/quote]

To get the Christmas Decorations off the car?? poke.gif
914werke
confused24.gif as long as it takes?
Bullethead
I've finished a '68 911 T Targa, a 914/6 GT and my old 356 in the past 24 months. All were bare tub restorations. Meanwhile, my wife's Mercedes 280SL has taken
12 years in starts and stops. I hope to have it done by late spring... but everything on these is a total PITA, can't believe I even attempted it. headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Part of the reason is having a small workspace requiring cars be moved to work on anything... just signed a lease for twice the space and will move in on Jan. 15.
The new shop is 4,000 sq ft, has 3-phase 220 and already plumbed for air tools. Will FINALLY have a lift, too. Can't wait!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.