Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I have two brake calipers that I plan to rebuild. My biggest concern for them, of course, is rust.

How can I prevent the insides from rusting while they're in storage? I'm not sure that squirting them with WD40 or something will be good for the inner seals.

Any thoughts how the pros do it?

-Rusty smoke.gif
scotty914
wipe em down with brake fluid or motor oil or what ever else you have

yes the solvents in some spray lubes "might" damage the seals but wd 40 is really kind of weak and doesnt do much for stopping rust in the long run, also it really likes to gum up after a while

when ready to use clean with brake cleaner to get off what ever you put on it

simply put, lube with brake fluid when you put em together and seal up the holes for the brake lines to keep out moisture and dont worry about it
Aaron Cox
put em in a bag of wd or oil or brake fluid. no rust ever.
Rusty
Scott & Aaron, thank you for the replies.

Actually, I'm more concerned about rust on the internals... siezing up the pistons and parking brake mechanisms.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Eddie Williams
By using sil-glyde or some other assembly lube, are you helping prevent rust? It's also pretty thick, so it'll stay put. JUst random thoughts.
IronHillRestorations
Why not get everything ready for reassembly and package in all in ziplocks unassembled?

Disassembling, cleaning, and prepping for reassembly is the hard part anyway. Once that's all done, it's a cinch to put it all back together.

Just my .02
Rusty
I've thought about that, Perry. That will probably be the way I go. Besides, I need to find a cad plater in the area, too.

I was thinking since winter is long in Kansas... and I have time to rebuild them... idea.gif
SLITS
As an alternative, I would use a light oil and fill them - such as 3 In 1 oil, sewing machine oil, refigeration oil, etc. You need to have a substance that does not cause deterioration of the rubber. Steel only corrodes in the presense of water vapor and oxygen (from the water) - eliminate the possiblilty, you eliminate the problem.
Eric_Shea
Bench bleed them... leave the full of brake fluid.
dmenche914
For storage there are some options.

1. The rubber parts MUST only be exposed to brake rubber safe fluids. That pretty much leaves brake fluid, and brake assembly grease.

2. Where you store them also matters. In a heated shop is much better, that a backyard shed. Temp changes in moist air will get water inside if there are any openings.

3. Best bet would be to not assemble them, I believe there is a o-ring between the caliper halve (or maybe I am thinking of my Triumph brakes) At any rate if all rubber is removed, a light coat of oil on the metal should help, them put in ziplock freezer bags.

4. If you want them assembled for storage. I would coat all the inners with Brake Grease. This is a grease made for brake rubber, I use it on my Triumph (a little foil pack comes in my Triumph Lucus rebuild kits) this is anti rusting grease, safe for brake rubber. It is designed to be used on the piston bores, to help prevent water ingress that would rust the bore that is exposed (that outside of the piston)

5. I would not fill the caliper with brake fluid, if you use the brake grease unless you use DOT5 Silicone, which has zero water absorbtion. regular fluid will attract water from the air, and hold it aginst the metal, causing rust.

6. If you were to fill the caliper with regular fluid, you should seal the inlet fitting, so no moisture ladden air can pass to the fluid, or conversly, seal the hole thing in a ziplock.

Length of storage is important. Remeber that a car stored for a year or two might have brake problems from lack of use. A cleaned dissassembled caliper with oil on the metal only, sealed in a bag, with the rubber seperate (not in the bag that has the oil coated metal please!) is the best for long long storage.

At any rate, nothing but brake compatible fluids on the rubber, seal in a bag to prevent air ingress, and you should be fine. Also do not mix silicone, and regular fluids, stick to one cause some rubber parts if soaked in one fluid, then changed to another fluid, can ruin the rubber (personnel experience here, opps!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.