Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel filter/line question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
Okay, I first want to say how much I appreciate you guys all taking the time to not only go out and find my car from Ebay but also to point this out to me biggrin.gif

As you know with most auctions the info is always a bit limited and unfortunately this guy didnt disclose much. However, after reading what you have all pointed out and knowing that this car will be shipped, I called the seller and asked him for a bit more information about this pic. He informed me that the leak is in fact coming from the clamp connection to the fuel filter shown in the picture. He also said he would tighten that connection before shipping.

I had a couple of follow-up questions for the rest of you. I see a lot of people doing the stainless steel fuel line conversion. The fuel filter shown here is plastic and the this fuel line is a rubber line so whats the deal with the stainless lines? How much pressure is on that line? This car has a carb and not the original fuel injection so wouldnt that indicate much lower pressures? What is it that makes these cars so prone to fires?

If anyone can provide any info I would appreciate. Also, if anyone has any good sites for manuals and images and such that would be great too!

Thanks!Click to view attachment
bandjoey
See post above on fires. Do not start that car! Until all lines are inspected or replaced. Tie down lines and filters so they don't move. Use solid FI clamps on rubber lines. Not worm clamps. Spend a Saturday pulling out the gas tank and putting in Tangerines SS lines. Inspect everything at oil change time. Carbs are low pressure but FI is 35-40 lbs
wingnut86
The original lines are a style of plastic - at least through the tunnel and part of the engine bay. 40 year old plastic fuel lines located below a battery tray that historically showed prone to rust and disintegrate from stored batteries and leaking acid = Bad Juju. Lastly, 40 year old harnesses, plastic gas lines, stored batteries and little animals chewing on some if not all of it makes for a great fireworks display. Ruin a decade for most people just thinking about it...
URY914
Nice (not)

Get under there and remove the pan. Replace the hose and the filter with new and tuck it back up there but don't kink the hose. Is the pump up front too? It should be. A carbed engine only needs less than 10 psi.
last337
Thanks for the info. I will be sure to inspect that hose and filter. Am I correct in assuming the other end of that hose goes to the tank?
JawjaPorsche
FI has a return line to tank.

QUOTE(last337 @ Dec 4 2012, 05:02 PM) *

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to inspect that hose and filter. Am I correct in assuming the other end of that hose goes to the tank?

last337
This car has a carb. Wouldn't this line just go from tanning to filter?
Hammy
QUOTE(last337 @ Dec 4 2012, 01:21 PM) *

Okay, I first want to say how much I appreciate you guys all taking the time to not only go out and find my car from Ebay but also to point this out to me biggrin.gif

As you know with most auctions the info is always a bit limited and unfortunately this guy didnt disclose much. However, after reading what you have all pointed out and knowing that this car will be shipped, I called the seller and asked him for a bit more information about this pic. He informed me that the leak is in fact coming from the clamp connection to the fuel filter shown in the picture. He also said he would tighten that connection before shipping.

I had a couple of follow-up questions for the rest of you. I see a lot of people doing the stainless steel fuel line conversion. The fuel filter shown here is plastic and the this fuel line is a rubber line so whats the deal with the stainless lines? How much pressure is on that line? This car has a carb and not the original fuel injection so wouldnt that indicate much lower pressures? What is it that makes these cars so prone to fires?

If anyone can provide any info I would appreciate. Also, if anyone has any good sites for manuals and images and such that would be great too!

Thanks!Click to view attachment

The SS tunnel lines folks are talking about go down the center tunnel to the fuel tank up front, they stick out of the engine firewall right before that hose/filter you see. There are also SS engine compartment line kits, I believe they follow the route of the original (plastic?) engine comp. lines up to the battery area.

Those hoses look old and incorrect size. Filter looks wrong. The stock FI filters are square as I recall, there should be two prong/hangers on the passenger side of the engine compartment for the filter to sit on safely. On a carbed car you will just need the send line, you can cap off the return line where it exits the firewall. If you're going to replace your center tunnel lines with SS, I would replace both lines for any future fi/engine changes.
Cap'n Krusty
I hope the rest of the car isn't as bad as that fuel filter kludge.

Those bolts hanging down from the floor aren't exactly a good sign .................

The Cap'n
last337
Thanks for the info. I plan to change out that filter and hose when I get the car. I think the square filter was the filter for the FI system. Which filter do you guys use as a replacement when using a carb? Any good suppliers you guys recommend for parts?
Hammy
QUOTE(last337 @ Dec 4 2012, 04:02 PM) *

Thanks for the info. I plan to change out that filter and hose when I get the car. I think the square filter was the filter for the FI system. Which filter do you guys use as a replacement when using a carb? Any good suppliers you guys recommend for parts?

Stock filter will work for before the pump, i'm sure carb guys will chime in. Single carb?
914_teener
It's also missing the other low pressure air foil on the other side.

Just sayin.
last337
QUOTE(914_teener @ Dec 4 2012, 08:59 PM) *

It's also missing the other low pressure air foil on the other side.

Just sayin.

Oh, is that the actual intention of that cover underneath? An underbody airfoil? I that it was just a cover. Is it supposed to extend all the way to the drivers side and conceal that hose?
luskesq
What you see is the passenger side air diverter/deflector. There is a matching one that goes on the drivers side. It wasn't intended to hide the filter but to inhance cooling. One source book that is decent is Haynes and it has a description of where they are placed one the car.

Have fun!

Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.